Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Downgrading of reward flights - particular risk on LHR-JFK / JFK-LHR?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2017, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver

Thinking of using a Companion Voucher and/or Avios for a trip in November.

I've seen a couple of pieces on Headforpoints (I think) about people getting involuntarily bumped down a class, and reward flights being prime targets as they only have to reimburse you the difference in Avios or (in the case of 2-4-1) nothing at all as it's a freebie.

Coupled with this, I was reading Simon Calder on why BA don't use A380s on the London-New York route (i.e. that their business travellers want a higher frequency of flights so they can just walk into the next departure when their meeting in town finishes, rather than fewer bigger planes departing less often).

Putting this together, this sounds to me as if there might be a particular downgrade risk on this route (assuming it does happen at all), i.e. you're booked into CW on a reward ticket, someone with higher status or simply paying full price on this popular route, arrives and needs a seat, and you find yourself downgraded as they are worth more to the airline / they have a reservation guarantee etc.

Does this happen in practice, and am I right that this route might be more of a risk than others, or am I making 2+2=5?
Old Aug 13, 2017, 7:38 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Originally Posted by GCab
Thinking of using a Companion Voucher and/or Avios for a trip in November.

I've seen a couple of pieces on Headforpoints (I think) about people getting involuntarily bumped down a class, and reward flights being prime targets as they only have to reimburse you the difference in Avios or (in the case of 2-4-1) nothing at all as it's a freebie.

Coupled with this, I was reading Simon Calder on why BA don't use A380s on the London-New York route (i.e. that their business travellers want a higher frequency of flights so they can just walk into the next departure when their meeting in town finishes, rather than fewer bigger planes departing less often).

Putting this together, this sounds to me as if there might be a particular downgrade risk on this route (assuming it does happen at all), i.e. you're booked into CW on a reward ticket, someone with higher status or simply paying full price on this popular route, arrives and needs a seat, and you find yourself downgraded as they are worth more to the airline / they have a reservation guarantee etc.

Does this happen in practice, and am I right that this route might be more of a risk than others, or am I making 2+2=5?
2+2=5!
The chances of you being downgraded are so small (particularly on this route) it's not worth discussing at any length. Enjoy your CW flight and relax.

Pilot37
makin'miles and barnaby101 like this.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 7:40 am
Original Poster

> Enjoy your CW flight and relax.

Thanks for the peace of mind! It was for exactly this purpose that I was asking (so as not to arrive at the airport feeling tense), so this is good to know.

Shows the danger of reading too much I guess
barnaby101 likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 7:41 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
or am I making 2+2=5?
Absolutely you are.

The central HfP conjecture that 2-4-1 are targeted for downgrades simply isn't correct (indeed someone in BA involved in the process submitted a post to HfP to say so). Moreover, on a route with such a huge number of seats, regular services, alternative carriers under the JBA and any amount of no-shows, JFK must be the least downgraded route in the network.

The main reason for downgrades on this (and any) route is people getting to the airport late. And you're far more likely to be given an involuntary upgrade than a visit to WTP.
crazy8534 likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 10:01 am

Programs: BA Exec Club, HHonors
o
I like Simon Calder but I'm afraid on this he's wrong. BA's T7 at JFK simply can't handle A380s.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies - further put mind at rest ^
Old Aug 13, 2017, 11:04 am
Original Poster

And yes, that's simpler and makes rather more sense re. the A380 ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.