Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA to lease 9 Qatar A320s + crews during strike

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA to lease 9 Qatar A320s + crews during strike

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2017, 3:49 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
This is already being discussed in this topic: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...l#post28474056
Old Jun 22, 2017, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbm12
The number of ways this says screw you to the unions is amazing.
You are entitled to complain to the CAA if you wish, EU airlines are not supposed to use foreign-registered aircraft except in "exceptional" circumstances.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 3:58 pm

and

Qatar Airways seeks 10% stake in American Airlines
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/qata...ines-1.4173218
Old Jun 22, 2017, 4:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Calchas
You are entitled to complain to the CAA if you wish,
I'm good...thanks.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 6:40 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Good move as QR airbus A320 have a real business class hard product ^
Old Jun 22, 2017, 6:58 pm

Specifics have faded with time, but I was on a couple of wet leased aircraft during the 2009-10 disruption. Trying to remember what they were--Vuelling maybe? Would have to look it up.

As it happened, I had numerous TATLs at that time, with a good number of domestics, all during the strike days. Or days before and after when it could have been problem.

There wasn't one disruption or serious problem with my flights, anyway. The worst was that 2 domestics had time changes of an hour at departure, when BA combined two of their half-full aircraft that were departing 2 hours apart, they canceled both, and put both plane's worth on the wet lease and it worked for pax.

There were a few issues with full service hot food in CW a few times, but it was announced in advance of the flight, so pax knew the meal services might be less complete than normal.

That's when you learn what's really important to the CW denizens--endless, cheerfully delivered top ops for hours, or a pud with warm custard. Which? Answers on a postcard.

Had that reduced meal service thing twice, but didn't hear any CW pax complaining to cabin crew about it.

Somewhat sadly for BA and cabin crew, BA have experience in putting a full-court press on during a strike, to be sure their pax have minimal disruption.

And in the past, they've got form for doing that. They know the drill, wet leases and all.

P.S. I will say the only thing that cost me thousands was the infamous Christmas Strike dates that didn't go according to plan--I spent unreimbursed thousands rebooking clients in anticipation of a strike that the union had to call off when Willie got the high court to have it declared illegal and won if I recall. So the above only pertains to an actual strike later.

Last edited by randomflyer; Jun 22, 2017 at 7:05 pm Reason: Amendment to clarify:
Old Jun 22, 2017, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
I do recall a couple Ryanair aircraft operating BA flights!
Old Jun 22, 2017, 8:10 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by KARFA
Wet leases so with QR cabin crew and also flight crew I assume. Should be interesting for those who end up on a QR aircraft!
Well a whole bunch will figure out the difference in level of service, hard products and this may lead some BA regulars to stray to QR for long hauls once they see the interiors on trip reports etc.

Originally Posted by sbm12
The number of ways this says screw you to the unions is amazing.
Free Enterprise.....!

Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
Good move as QR airbus A320 have a real business class hard product ^
There will be defections to QR long hauls....later on.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 9:06 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Is there the interesting prospect of a Qatar Airbus operating to Tel Aviv in all of this?
Old Jun 22, 2017, 11:49 pm

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by CHCflyer
Is there the interesting prospect of a Qatar Airbus operating to Tel Aviv in all of this?
I doubt it.

Last edited by Airprox; Jun 22, 2017 at 11:56 pm
Old Jun 23, 2017, 12:10 am

The CAA have a long history of refusing to allow foreign wet leases.A strike by a small number of cabin crew cannot be defined as exceptional circumstances.The Europeans will also have words to say about this.

I would not get too excited about approval being granted just yet.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 12:45 am

Programs: BA Silver
Excellent opportunity to see a QR aircraft in TLV
Old Jun 23, 2017, 12:47 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Can we take our falcons on board? (and if so will they need a yellow tag?)
Old Jun 23, 2017, 12:55 am
formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
Perhaps you will all understand just why so many of us love flying QR on short or mid haul once you've experienced their J seat, and their crew, on the 320/321. I can see many of you now proactively trying to book or change to fly on these wet leases once they are in the timetable.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 1:06 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
Originally Posted by HMPS
Well a whole bunch will figure out the difference in level of service, hard products and this may lead some BA regulars to stray to QR for long hauls once they see the interiors on trip reports etc.

There will be defections to QR long hauls....later on.
That was my first thought, too. It'll be a world of difference to those fliers (at least in J.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.