Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA to lease 9 Qatar A320s + crews during strike

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA to lease 9 Qatar A320s + crews during strike

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2017, 5:42 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by Raffles
If I were BA I would be very nervous about putting my customers in Qatar (domestic) First seats! They will soon realise what they are missing .....

Slightly surprised that Qatar have enough short-haul crew with permission to work in the UK.
Qatar have a decent amount of EU eligible foreign pilots no?
And I think their non-EU pilots can fly in and out of the UK, no? Doubt they 'need permission to work in the UK', other than the usual pilot visas.

I am also wondering how much this is all costing!
Surely more than just giving the MF cabin crew a pay raise no?

I find this behaviour not right at all to be honest. Wet-leasing 9 aircraft must cost a decent amount of cash!
Old Jun 23, 2017, 5:44 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by Boten
QR don't have enough shares to dictate what BA does.
They have enough shares to block any bonuses to board members, that is normally sufficient.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 6:53 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by CHCflyer
Is there the interesting prospect of a Qatar Airbus operating to Tel Aviv in all of this?
Originally Posted by Calchas
No, the aircraft are still Qatari registered.
Incidentally, last month a rented car from Qatar (with Qatari license plates) was spotted in Tel Aviv. It turned out that two Norwegian tourists rented it in Qatar and drove all the way to TLV.

We have a precedent then

Bring on the bird

Last edited by Innocent Abroad; Jun 23, 2017 at 7:18 am
Old Jun 23, 2017, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Qatar have a decent amount of EU eligible foreign pilots no?
And I think their non-EU pilots can fly in and out of the UK, no? Doubt they 'need permission to work in the UK', other than the usual pilot visas.
I suspect the CAA will be the arbiter of that.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 7:05 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
QR has 35 A320 (not including the parked neo) and BA 67. 9 A320 is probably not going to make a dent in either carriers operation. The A320 coming to BA will probably be the 144 seaters that only have recliners in the front cabin.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by simons1
I suspect the CAA will be the arbiter of that.
By crew I meant cabin crew. These are wet leases, they come with Qatari cabin crew. Which means there must be enough Qatari cabin crew who are trained on short-haul but still have permission to work in the UK, which I found odd.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 7:13 am

Programs: BA Gold/OWE
Originally Posted by shefgab
I wonder what the QR crew will think of the BA F&B standards! Not to mention the BoB. I wonder if a Green Al Maha will be flown in as well. That would be something interesting for local spotters.
Ah, the leftovers from the abortive Saudi LCC. Which looks even more unlikely now

Nice black leather interior but appalling seat pitch in Y and no IFE at all. There are four A320s in a C12 Y168 config according to wikipedia. IIRC they have wifi but I've never taken a long flight on one of these and my heart does sink whenever we get one, even for a 30 min flight.

QR shorthaul Y service tends to be a 'warm sandwich' and a glass of juice. I've only flown intra-GCC F/J on the 777, 787 or A330.

Originally Posted by Calchas
Assuming QR is the operator in question, QR does use its A320s on "midhaul" flights to places like Eastern Europe, India, and Scandinavia.
6 hours DOH-WAW in Y on an A320 was too long for me, even in the 'proper' QR spec.

Last edited by sharp5flat9; Jun 23, 2017 at 7:21 am
Old Jun 23, 2017, 7:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by hungry
Surely any self respecting crew would refuse to work these services? As it's breaking and undermining their colleagues in another company who are in dispute with their employer?
Are QR pilots and cabin crew unionized? I wouldn't think so. In fact, AFAIK they would experience severe repercussions if they were to participate in any work actions against QR, starting with being fired immediately and kicked out of Qatar without even having time to pack.

BTW, I would expect QR to train all cabin crew for both short haul and long haul, but if not, someone doing long haul could learn the basics of short haul pretty easily I would think.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 7:15 am

By crew I meant cabin crew. These are wet leases, they come with Qatari cabin crew. Which means there must be enough Qatari cabin crew who are trained on short-haul but still have permission to work in the UK, which I found odd.
Lots of EU cabin crew on QR, mainly central and eastern European. So no problem from a 'work permit' POV. I assume licensing is similar.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 7:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by sharp5flat9
Ah, the leftovers from the abortive Saudi LCC. Which looks even more unlikely now

Nice black leather interior but appalling seat pitch in Y and no IFE at all. There are four A320s in a C12 Y68 config according to wikipedia. IIRC they have wifi but I've never taken a long flight on one of these and my heart does sink whenever we get one, even for a 30 min flight.

QR shorthaul Y service tends to be a 'warm sandwich' and a glass of juice. I've only flown intra-GCC F/J on the 777, 787 or A330.

6 hours DOH-WAW in Y on an A320 was too long for me, even in the 'proper' QR spec.
Only 80 total seats on the A320? Could you mean Y168 rather than Y68?
Old Jun 23, 2017, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Only 80 total seats on the A320? Could you mean Y168 rather than Y68?
Oops. Corrected.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 7:22 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
QR A320 is 12J132Y rather, no?
Old Jun 23, 2017, 7:26 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
If you look at the QR fleet here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...ays-fleet.html

you get:

320H v1: recliners J in 2-2 config, WiFi. A7-AHA,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J,L,O
320H v2: recliners J in 2-2 config., no AVOD. A7-ADA,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J
320M (Al-Maha): recliners J in 2-2 config, no AVOD, WiFi. A7-LAA,B,C,D,E,F,G,H

The A320M are sparingly used right now, mainly to places like SLL, BSR, BGW etc. Enjoy!
Old Jun 23, 2017, 7:37 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
As these are effectively short-term charters, the crew may not necessarily need a right to work in the EEA.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why do you find it odd? QR send their 320s everywhere. They even had a 319 regularly scheduled to London for a while.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.