Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Should Alex Cruz step down or be replaced? [FT poll]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Should Alex Cruz (BA's Chief Executive and Chairman) step down or be replaced?
Yes
93.91%
No
6.09%
Voters: 936. You may not vote on this poll

Should Alex Cruz step down or be replaced? [FT poll]

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2017, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Yes this will all take some time. Slowly, but surely, more and more people are getting frustrated with BA and are looking elsewhere.

I think BA will only worry if they lose their BA before anyone else customers, and so far they have not. The Die-Hard BA fans still fly them. At that point the company will have to really try hard to get their customers back.

Current status is BA has become so arrogant with their brand that AC and WW still think no matter what happens, passenger numbers will continue to rise. I await the full year 2017 figures of BA with great interest, although it will be a year before we see them!
http://www.iagshares.com/phoenix.zht...p=irol-traffic

Well as of April, BA's RPKs were up 3.2% with ASKs up 2.1%, so seat factors are increasing (obviously we don't know the yield picture)
Old May 30, 2017, 7:10 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG & Accor Plat...
Apologies if mentioned upthread, as I have been tracking multiple forums on this issue and its maxing out my attention span!

AC says the issue is a power surge on Saturday. Elsewhere, on an IT forum , a poster cast doubt on this, saying that for a flight on Friday they could not MMB on Thursday and that their boarding passes "arrived 8 hours late" ( not sure what they mean by that, I assume they are referring to an email containing their BP's). Add to that hot weather mid week , could it cause a shift in power grid issues nationally....is it feasible that the issues were already in play and that saturdays power surge was a symptom not a cause? Has anyone else experienced significant MMB / online checkin issues in the days leading up to the crash? If true...all this could prove telling on Senor Cruz's position going forward....

Last edited by LostAntipod; May 30, 2017 at 7:10 am Reason: Spelling
Old May 30, 2017, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by Calchas
And then BA really will have to compete on price.
Which it can't win. Ever. If you had to take on Usain Bolt at a sporting event, you'd choose darts or pool instead of the 100m, becaue the 100m is only ever going to end one way.
Old May 30, 2017, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by ComputerCommuter
93% of FTers say resign. Can you imagine what the result would be if the general passenger population were to vote right now ?!
or the BA staff!
Old May 30, 2017, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LostAntipod
Add to that hot weather mid week , could it cause a shift in power grid issues nationally....is it feasible that the issues were already in play and that saturdays power surge was a symptom not a cause? Has anyone else experienced significant MMB / online checkin issues in the days leading up to the crash? If true...all this could prove telling on Senor Cruz's position going forward....
Check in glitches happen all the time. BA still haven't taken payment for a flight I have on Friday.

Originally Posted by Raffles
Which it can't win. Ever. If you had to take on Usain Bolt at a sporting event, you'd choose darts or pool instead of the 100m, becaue the 100m is only ever going to end one way.
Agreed.
Old May 30, 2017, 7:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Current status is BA has become so arrogant with their brand that AC and WW still think no matter what happens, passenger numbers will continue to rise.!
You recently flew with BA and enjoyed it did you not? If they can attract folk like you then you can't blame them for feeling smug.
Old May 30, 2017, 7:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Calchas
It's not about the cost of a cup of tea and a sandwich and what it would cost to grow your own potatoes to make your own crisps instead of buying them. Those people are lost to BA already.

Many overpriced brands are based on 90% intangible "it just seems nicer and more fashionable" and 10% "concretely this is actually better made". But if you take away that 10%, the 90% seems to go away quite quickly. And then BA really will have to compete on price.
Exactly - what's the difference between the ring you get at Tiffany or Cartier and the one you can get in the diamond district? Price and the color of the box.
Old May 30, 2017, 8:40 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Notable that SSE (the local energy supplier) denies that any power surge took place.
Old May 30, 2017, 8:45 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Originally Posted by Raffles
Exactly.
Until BA lose the overheads the newer LCCs don't have, and that's not going to change overnight.

A flying pension fund ISTR BA was called. Cutting a cup of tea is nothing compared with those kind of liabilities.
Old May 30, 2017, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by Sealink
Notable that SSE (the local energy supplier) denies that any power surge took place.
I don't think anyone (even AC) has suggested it was anything external.

There could well have been an internal power surge and I'm not sure SSE would register that (but I know nowt about such things).
Old May 30, 2017, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Current status is BA has become so arrogant with their brand that AC and WW still think no matter what happens, passenger numbers will continue to rise.
Not sure that BA's arrogance is a strategy dreamed up to increase pax numbers on Air Canada and WOW air!!

Old May 30, 2017, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is it really that difficult for BA to figure out??!! Look at the history of the big US airlines after deregulation. Almost EXACTLY every 8 years since Deregulation there has been a LCC, or bare bones type shift. People Express and New York Air anyone? Remember Kiwi Air? How about different lives of National and Frontier?! Air Tran? Later on Jet Blue? Virgin America? Remember the majors answers with such me too products such as TED and SONG?

The only two minnows that grew to mean anything have been Southwest and to a lesser extent Alaska, both of which basically started and strengthened their beach heads in areas that the majors did not worry about (namely the Southwest and Alaska/Pacific Northwest.

So do you know what happens after they come in with their new planes and lean products? The aircraft age, the employees become more expensive and their fares go up. Then what happens? They start to bring back the perks..............no more one cabin service, food that was cut comes back, at least on routes that mean something.

It seems to me that BA has ALWAYS been 5-15 years behind the times. Part of this is/was due to it looking at its neighboring competitors, rather than global, but part of it has always been an inherent sense of superiority, even when they eventually have to do an about face when they are failing.

While the IAG strategy of bulking up with Aer Lingus, Iberia and Vueling may be showing short term results, these was a "me too" strategy to combat LH and AF who gobbled up other inefficient European airlines, with teh advantage that in the case of Iberia and Aer Lingus they were able to come in after several rounds of near bankruptcy and bail-outs (was IB 2 or 4 bail outs, I cannot remember). When BA had real legitimate opportunities to go into the LCC space, and expand in Europe previously they failed SPECTACULARLY, and ended up creating much of the backbone of their European LCC competitors, DBA given to Air Berlin, Go to Easyjet..let's not even go into other disasters such as TAT.
Old May 30, 2017, 9:12 am

Wonder whether there is a hidden agenda from the BBC giving the boss of a British airline subtitles in this interview...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40088386
Old May 30, 2017, 9:16 am

Programs: BA Gold/OWE
A rather uncomplimentary (and possibly syndicated) piece from Ivan Fallon in our local rag: http://www.thenational.ae/business/a...-cutting-costs

The unfortunate Mr Cruz has the demeanour of a bandit about to rob the payroll, and I don’t expect we’ll be seeing very much more of him. He may be great at cutting costs, but he is clearly not very good with people. At a recent BA investors’ day, the BA chief, according to an analyst who was there, chose to "hide behind the food buffet talking to an Airbus representative". This, he went on, "failed to make a positive impression with investors".
Old May 30, 2017, 9:18 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Originally Posted by chazman189
Wonder whether there is a hidden agenda from the BBC giving the boss of a British airline subtitles in this interview...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40088386
If you're meaning because of his accented English, they subtitle a lot of videos, and the interviewer is subtitled also.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.