Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My experience on the Las Vegas flight

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2017, 3:10 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
If it's for leisure OP and time is no issue go to LAX on the earlier flight and switch to a domestic over to LAS. You can still arrive early evening
Apart from having to go through immigration at LAX, which can be a pain in the a$$. If you aren't heading to LAX, you might as well enter the US somewhere else.
Old May 27, 2017, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
If it's for leisure OP and time is no issue go to LAX on the earlier flight and switch to a domestic over to LAS. You can still arrive early evening
I live in north Los Angeles County.

I would never fly to Las Vegas. I much prefer to drive. It's a long drive, true, but through a desert environment you don't get in Europe.

You can take the 15 and the 40, going through Cajon Pass near San Bernardino. For true isolation and the funky desert experience, consider instead going through Riverside, then Yucca Valley and Needles.

Just my 2 cents.
Old May 28, 2017, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by WorldLux
Apart from having to go through immigration at LAX, which can be a pain in the a$$. If you aren't heading to LAX, you might as well enter the US somewhere else.
On the earlier BA283 I've been through (HBO) and outside within 30 mins on my last 4/5. The kiosks have made it so much faster and even though I've got GE my last visit couple of times I was with friends without and we were all still outside, over to AA and in the Qantas First lounge in an hour. I rarely read horror stories of LAX immigration on here now
Old May 28, 2017, 6:31 am

On the earlier BA283 I've been through (HBO) and outside within 30 mins on my last 4/5. The kiosks have made it so much faster and even though...
That is if you can use the kiosk. On my last trip with +1, the kiosk wouldn't recognize +1's passport with an slightly altered design. The attendant was baffled as well. YMMV
Old May 28, 2017, 6:58 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, Virgin Silver, Marriott Platinum, HH diamond, IHG Platinum
I go to Vegas a few times a year and never fly direct with BA. I sometimes use LAX but usually use SFO even though it is a longer flight to LAS. I have always found the transfer experience much quicker but of course you can't fly AA if you want to book a through ticket or get tierpoints/avios.

If you fly United (not any more!) or Virgin America to LAS it's a very, very short walk inside to the next terminal and I am normally back through airside again in less than 30 minutes. Of course that is on the later BA flight, being amongst the first off. Love Virgin America, will be really sad to see the brand go.
Old May 28, 2017, 10:24 am

This thread is interesting to me as I was looking to do an F redemption flight to LAS next year, to tour the Utah/Arizona National Parks. The reports on here make me feel that F to LAS is likely to be a disappointing experience.

PHX is another option for this trip. I think the flight has F, but does anyone know what the quality of the planes is like please ?
Old May 28, 2017, 10:36 am

You could also mix it up and try American's 77W one direction to see an alternative
This is not to put down BA because I like them, but AA's 77W is an awesome plane. I took it recently from JFK to LHR. The crew was awesome. Can't say enough good things about them. I was in the mini-cabin so I'm sure that helped. You also can't beat the hard product. The amenity kits are nice too.
Old May 28, 2017, 10:36 am

Programs: BA silver
My F flight to Vegas last month was definitely in a new First. So I seem to have been lucky?
And I got the new washbags
Old May 28, 2017, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by machotspur
... to do an F redemption flight to LAS next year, to tour the Utah/Arizona National Parks. [Snip]

PHX is another option for this trip. I think the flight has F, but does anyone know what the quality of the planes is like please ?
Depending on what Utah/Arizona NP you plan on visiting, it may make more sense to fly into DFW/PHX and connect onto a local flight. If you looking at parks in the East of Utah/Arizona, flying into Colorado airports may make more sense than flying into PHX.
Old May 28, 2017, 10:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
This thread is interesting to me as I was looking to do an F redemption flight to LAS next year, to tour the Utah/Arizona National Parks. The reports on here make me feel that F to LAS is likely to be a disappointing experience.

If you're renting a car anyway, it's a short drive from LA to Vegas if you can avoid the horrible weekend traffic. There are also some interesting things to see and do on the California side.

You should probably check rental car rates before making a decision as the pick up and return location can make an enormous difference in the prices.

There's a lot of airport construction at PHX, although I'm not sure how much it affects BA/AA operations.
Old May 28, 2017, 11:40 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If you're renting a car anyway, it's a short drive from LA to Vegas if you can avoid the horrible weekend traffic. There are also some interesting things to see and do on the California side.
What??
It's at best 4+ hours and as boring as can be. Hour upon hour of the Mojave, with only a stop at Peggy Sue's and a look at the big thermometer to break it up. And after probably being up for 18 hours and just off an 11 hour flight no thanks.
Old May 28, 2017, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis

Hi,

The PHX planes will be the same as the LAS planes ie Mid-J CW with the older IFE.

Regards

TBS

We now go DUB-PHL-LAS.
Of course the trouble with flying AA is that if you get delayed on one sector you might just miss a flight (we have) and then you are SOL. No EU compo.

We have an F redemption direct in August with BA so I'm not worried about the product. In fact we will be able to use the CX lounge in T3 which is a bonus.
It will probably be the last time we fly BA

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Yikes. I chose BA over VS to Las Vegas, in F. Will try to make the most of it!
Old May 28, 2017, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by fiona
My F flight to Vegas last month was definitely in a new First. So I seem to have been lucky?
And I got the new washbags
They're always New First (Is there actually any old First cabins left?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.