Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My experience on the Las Vegas flight

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2017, 11:48 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Sealink
Yikes. I chose BA over VS to Las Vegas, in F. Will try to make the most of it!
Nothing wrong with BA F to Vegas. Same as any route IMHO
VS in Upper is nothing like BA F. Inferior product, more akin to better CW.
Old May 28, 2017, 11:57 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by moneypooraviosrich
Nothing wrong with BA F to Vegas.
OP complained about CW to LAS and there are IMO better alternatives available on AA metal.

I'd pick BA F to LAS over connecting somewhere in the US, but not necessarily BA J to LAS. Luckily I don't have to make that choice that often as I'm not a fan of sin city.
Old May 28, 2017, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
The only thing old about F direct to LAS on F is the IFE. Otherwise it's the same as all other 744s.

I'm another one to advise against the drive, I've never done it in under 5 hours with a quick stop on route. Also, getting a car at LAX is not quick; shuttle to car collection etc you'd be looking at 6 hours from leaving airport to arriving at Las Vegas
Old May 28, 2017, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sealink
Yikes. I chose BA over VS to Las Vegas, in F. Will try to make the most of it!
You've definitely made the right decision, no yikes needed! Yes you'll miss the Club house at T3, but you can visit the Cathay & BA F lounges and onboard will be far superior to VS Upper
Old May 28, 2017, 1:42 pm

Programs: BA silver
They're always New First (Is there actually any old First cabins left?)
I knew that was the wrong term- but I am struggling to see how F to LAS is worse than any other BA F.
Old May 28, 2017, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Apart from the older IFE, F in the LAS flights is the same as other F flights ( whilst you cannot use the T5 CCR, you can try the CX F lounge)

I am off to LAS with my mother in July and booked F out CW back and will try the CX and BA lounges in T3

Regards

TBS
Old May 28, 2017, 1:50 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
You've definitely made the right decision, no yikes needed! Yes you'll miss the Club house at T3, but you can visit the Cathay & BA F lounges and onboard will be far superior to VS Upper
I'm flying LHR to LAS in F in August - Forgive me if this is something obvious, but are we allowed to use the Cathay lounges then if flying on BA? Is the Cathay lounge better than the BA one? The BA lounge is obviously nothing like the Concorde Room, so I might be interested in something different...
Old May 28, 2017, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by Midlander
I'm flying LHR to LAS in F in August - Forgive me if this is something obvious, but are we allowed to use the Cathay lounges then if flying on BA? Is the Cathay lounge better than the BA one? The BA lounge is obviously nothing like the Concorde Room, so I might be interested in something different...
Yes, you can use the (excellent) CX F lounge at LHR T3.

The CX F lounge is miles ahead of the BA F lounge, in almost every regard.
Old May 28, 2017, 1:56 pm

Programs: BA silver
I was initially disappointed to be flying from T3. However, loved the CX F lounge.
Old May 29, 2017, 12:54 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by fiona
I was initially disappointed to be flying from T3. However, loved the CX F lounge.
T3 is a good experience. Okay there's no security shortcut to the lounges and no cabanas, but the CX lounge is better and quieter than the CCR, and it comes with a better view. The CCR doesn't have enough charge points - one of the absolute fundamentals of lounge provision, far more important than what they have behind the bar!
Old May 29, 2017, 1:10 am

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Apart from the older IFE, F in the LAS flights is the same as other F flights...
Pretty much, although one minor difference is the location of the WT+ cabin directly behind F, rather than CW. On our recent flights this resulted in a couple of minor matters:
  • a slightly greater delay in deplaning if exiting from door 2L simply because there are a lot more people ahead of you in the WT+ cabin
  • the presence of bassinet positions at the front of the WT+ cabin resulted in some noise pollution into the F cabin (babies crying) (in CW the bassinet positions would have been at the rear of the cabin, so further from F)

The mid J aircraft are on average slightly older I think, although I doubt this materially affects the experience. IFE however is much much worse! Also, no CCR at T3, or F wing, and not such a nice terminal (I think).
Old May 29, 2017, 1:43 am

According to the One World lounge directory:

Cathay Pacific First Class Lounge

Access for eligible customers traveling on any oneworld member airline.
Fill your boots with dim sum! ☺
Old May 29, 2017, 4:50 am

I believe from more knowledgable posters than myself, you can use BA, AA and Cathay. So give each one a try, save Cathay 'til last as the overwhelming opinion on here is that's where you'll want to be. I used their business lounge recently and it was a much nicer place than any BA or AA one I've used.
Old May 29, 2017, 11:46 am

Programs: BAEC
Thanks for all the advice - might just have to leave home a little bit earlier and have a look around them all, but leave room for some noodles at the end (after I've had my free treatment at the Elemis Spa, of course.

It'll probably feel a bit odd doing that and then flying west instead of east, but I'm sure I'll get over it.
Old May 29, 2017, 11:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
We now go DUB-PHL-LAS.
Of course the trouble with flying AA is that if you get delayed on one sector you might just miss a flight (we have) and then you are SOL. No EU compo.

We have an F redemption direct in August with BA so I'm not worried about the product. In fact we will be able to use the CX lounge in T3 which is a bonus.
It will probably be the last time we fly BA
EC261 applies to AA flights from Europe to the USA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.