Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 29, 2016, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Aus_Mal
This thread is for opinions on the concept of Buy on Board, concerned with the rights or wrongs of the decision to introduce it.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

There is a separate thread for experiences, anecdotes, reactions and related comments, which is to be found here:
Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy services

Useful sub-links
chongcao posted a comparison of other oneworld airlines' BOB prices

Not happy about these changes?
If you have an existing booking, you may be able to complain and get 1000 Avios or cancel for free until 28 days before departure. BA's complaint form.

However, in November 2016, phone calls to BA indicated that "no refunds would be given as food & drinks were complimentary and not part of the T&C."
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2016, 3:12 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by MadProfessor
I really don't get this if they're not going to compete on price. This is a marketing fail. How does BA position itself now as a shorthaul carrier? A no frills full service carrier or an expensive low cost carrier. Either way is a contradiction and deliberately positions themselves worse than the market leader in either category.

Apart from people connecting to long haul BA, why choose BA?
I guess the others will follow suit.

And if you have status, you still get quick check in, fast track, lounge, priority boarding and so on.

For joe public without ffp I'm not sure why BA is better any more really. You have a leather seat, slightly better airports (TXL instead of SXF).

I certainly will be looking harder at LH now.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 3:13 am

Programs: IHG Platinum Elite, BA Pleb
Originally Posted by simonrp84
Just seen this gem on BA's twitter account:

They really do take their customers for mugs.
That was in response to me

It's a corker, isn't it?
Old Sep 29, 2016, 3:14 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
I wonder if there will be any change to the drinks offered. I'd be pretty unhappy with the quality of existing coffee and wine offerings if I'd just paid good money for them.

Programs: BAEC
...customer research, which highlighted dissatisfaction around our current catering offering

And free M&S food would be an upgrade.
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
With apologies for this being a bit of a repeat posting, but here are the shop prices (or LGW airport prices to be more precise) for some M&S items:

The uplift - if any - seems quite modest, maybe 50 pence at most. At this stage of the game at any rate.

The uplift on drinks, on the other hand, seems higher. I'm an expert only on sparkling water at airports, and 500 mls is available for under £1 (Pret, Starbucks) and around £1.35 at WH Smith, though it can be higher in some branches. So £1.80 seems a bit stiff to me.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 3:15 am
Suspended

Yeah, outstanding response. The contempt the airline has (not blaming their twitter staff, who I feel sorry for) for customers is impressive.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 3:16 am

Programs: IHG Platinum Elite, BA Pleb
Originally Posted by 8420PR
The quality and prices for the food looks relatively OK to me
The headline prices are pretty much exactly the same as on EasyJet, although EasyJet do multibuy deals and it looks as though BA aren't going to.

The prices are about what I expected to see. I still think it is a very risky strategy for Marks and Spencer though...

ETA: Just noticed that they will not accept cash as a payment method, only cards or Avios. So the service is actually worse than on the LCCs, who accept cash in just about any currency you want to throw in their general direction.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 3:18 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Arctic Troll

It's a corker, isn't it?
I think I'm just trolling your coat tails on Twitter

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by englisha
My SOF-LHR flight in February, which I bought April this year has gone from a hot meal and drinks, to an enhanced sandwich with drinks, to enhanced paid sandwich with no drinks included.

Lucky for me that the lounge in Sofia is so well stocked with cheese triangles, peanuts and crisps.
As long as you can bear the sickening colors of the furniture there The lounges in T2 always make me feel noxious... (still, better than the massive open space that is the lounge in T1).

Originally Posted by ESFLYER95
There it is!
And when I try to load it....

haaa!!
Old Sep 29, 2016, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Strawb
What's in it for BA status members?
Let alone people buying full fare F/J tickets with domestic add ons
Old Sep 29, 2016, 3:21 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Priority Club Gold, Herts Pres Circle
I see no mention of fever tree tonic in the drinks list. So that's put to bed me buying a G&T.

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat, Volare Premier, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz President Circle
Other than "British" in the name (and perhaps scratchards) the upgrade from BA ET to U2/FR standards is now complete. Pax will still pay over the odds for the name so full marks to management for extracting dividends from the brand.

Programs: BA GGL
Virgin Trains on the east coast have conveniently just re-launched an earlier offer from Edinburgh (and Aberdeen line stations) to London for flat fare advances... Quite timely really!

https://www.virgintrainseastcoast.co.../plane-relief/

Personally I've been taking short haul flying away from BA and this is probably going to reduce it to nearly nil even in Club Europe I expect.

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Arctic Troll

It's a corker, isn't it?
Almost as good a response as "Previously the catering provided was complementary, the cost of which wasn't included in the fare"

Do they seriously expect us to believe that they didn't factor in the cost of catering to their prices and that it was being provided as a bonus at a cost which they were absorbing out of the goodness of their hearts?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.