Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Bad news for TP runs using AA [domestic F sells as J. Reduced TPs - confirmed]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 13, 2016, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: orbitmic
BAEC text is now confirming that after the forthcoming changes, TP and Avios for flights marketed as "domestic first" on two class aircrafts (ie everything except transcontinental flagship on all JFK-LAX vv, all JFK-SFO vv, and the MIA-LAX flights operated by a 77W) will accrue on a business class basis, ie 40TPs or 140TPs on flights over 2000mi and corresponding avios.

Seems it has been confirmed! Details in this post #254

(This is a thread that is really crying out for a wiki. Edit to your heart's content!)

Print Wikipost

Bad news for TP runs using AA [domestic F sells as J. Reduced TPs - confirmed]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2016, 3:04 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
When AA process schedule changes, they typically take effect 2 months into the future. When there was a major schedule change on 2 October, my November domestic flights were unaffected but the same flights after 2 December had changes on flight number and timings.
I hate all the speculation and have advocated waiting until 12 November to see what happens but based on prior changes and the excellent information provided by JonNYC, I would anticipate nothing changing for 2 class domestic flights up to 11 January and those after that date will be amended and I would anticipate, be recoded to J/D/I from F/P/A. That is only my best guess. We will only know for sure after 12 November.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 4:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Nope:

- 12 November = date when the change will occur
- 11 January = dates of the first flights affected

ie in all likelihood, on or shortly after 12 November, all the AA 2 class domestic flights from 11 January onwards will have inventory F-A-P replaced by J-D-I-R and tickets currently booked in F, A, or P reassigned to the new class equivalent.
My take as well.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 4:26 am

Programs: BA Gold
I have a booking, on which two F flights have been downgraded to Y as a consequence of equipment change. Given the imminent changes regarding booking classes, I am considering my options.

Would this downgrade allow me to cancel the booking, or is rerouting the only option AA would offer?

Thanks.

Last edited by Flythe96flag; Oct 26, 2016 at 4:38 am
Old Oct 28, 2016, 2:11 pm

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
at least now we don't have to choose between a recliner for 210tp and the biz seat on the transcon a321!!

So in a way, it means more flying, which is good!! and also a more comfortable ride...which is also good.

That's me, Mr Positive!! or maybe Ive had a few cocktails!
Old Oct 28, 2016, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by crazyarmadillo
at least now we don't have to choose between a recliner for 210tp and the biz seat on the transcon a321!!

So in a way, it means more flying, which is good!! and also a more comfortable ride...which is also good.

Of course it may mean less chance of an F seat on the A321 at J prices ...
Old Oct 28, 2016, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by Calchas
Of course it may mean less chance of an F seat on the A321 at J prices ...

maybe I shall have another drinkie and forget about that issue.

Although, joking aside, over the past few years, it has become more and more difficult to get an F seat at the J price.

On the a321, we often now just book straight into F or book J and use miles and copay, as it takes so much time to find those great fares.

A further negative is looking at LAX MIA route - most of the planes are currently 2 class - so we are shortchanged out of a slopey or lie flat bed in Biz and only get a recliner, on what used to be a great transcon route.

So JFK LAX will be our preferred route from now on - I will miss the premium lounge....
Old Oct 28, 2016, 4:19 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)

There have been some remarks on the AA board that AA is restricting some lower fare combos that involve the transcon service. I've not had a chance to look into the details yet or if impacts trips combined with TATL, or if it's just to reduce lower fare domestic connection options.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by dylanks
There have been some remarks on the AA board that AA is restricting some lower fare combos that involve the transcon service. I've not had a chance to look into the details yet or if impacts trips combined with TATL, or if it's just to reduce lower fare domestic connection options.
indeed.... tho havent found the limitation yet but it makes sense. Im just suprised they havent implemented sooner. Just like the 210 Tp Vs 140 TP. Was always amazed by this.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 4:47 pm
Suspended

indeed.... tho havent found the limitation yet but it makes sense. Im just suprised they havent implemented sooner. Just like the 210 Tp Vs 140 TP. Was always amazed by this.
My understanding is that they used to try (and fail) to do it by flight # block on some fares, whereas now they state "no transcon airbus" (words to that effect)-- and it's much more comprehensive, unfortunately.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27388424-post4.html

and the wiki here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premi...k-eqms-50.html
Old Oct 30, 2016, 2:07 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Originally Posted by JonNYC
My understanding is that they used to try (and fail) to do it by flight # block on some fares, whereas now they state "no transcon airbus" (words to that effect)-- and it's much more comprehensive, unfortunately.
Indeed, seems like they've figured out how to do comprehensive blocking and that's that. When the A321 first came into service there was a dramatic increase in the number of TCON flights as well as continued adjustment of the flights themselves, with flights coming on and going off the schedule regularly. They couldn't keep up with blocking by flight#, which meant amazing deals coming up. Thing of the past now, or in reality back to the past.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 3:41 am

Programs: BA Gold Lifetime, AA 2M, Delta 2M, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Club, EK Platinum
Looking at flights from DCA to DFW. F is gone but... the inventory is listed as A. So... maybe we are still good to go.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by AlwaysOnTheRoad
Looking at flights from DCA to DFW. F is gone but... the inventory is listed as A. So... maybe we are still good to go.
The swap of booking classes is only due to take place on or shortly after 12 November.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is something weird going on with AA and its booking classes. Yesterday it was impossible to price a simple oneway JFK-SFO in J even on flights where D or J class was available. Both AA.com and the Matrix forced you up to A or F class instead.

No idea if these issues are related but there may be some backend work that has broken something.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 5:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Calchas
There is something weird going on with AA and its booking classes. Yesterday it was impossible to price a simple oneway JFK-SFO in J even on flights where D or J class was available. Both AA.com and the Matrix forced you up to A or F class instead.

No idea if these issues are related but there may be some backend work that has broken something.
Expedia had no issue pricing up business class though
Old Nov 1, 2016, 5:40 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
There are definitely some changes going on at aa.com
There was a new screen layout for the seat choice when I checked a couple of domestic bookings for an upcoming trip.
Also someone over on the AA forum has pointed out aa.com was only giving main cabin options for MIA-SJU which I think is a well flown route in Business class for many of the TP runners. The poster there could price up Business on online travel agents.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.