FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Bad news for TP runs using AA [domestic F sells as J. Reduced TPs - confirmed] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1792861-bad-news-tp-runs-using-aa-domestic-f-sells-j-reduced-tps-confirmed.html)

elitetraveler Sep 24, 2016 8:21 pm

Bad news for TP runs using AA [domestic F sells as J. Reduced TPs - confirmed]

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...coded-j-2.html

The basic is that except for 3-class trans-Cons, all domestic F segments will sell as J...hence reduced TP accumulation.

Fly2Where Sep 24, 2016 8:36 pm

wow.. this will be a hugh impact!! 210 become 140 !! ooch.............

Nuster Sep 24, 2016 8:51 pm

Cost of redemptions just reduced by a third. Good news for normal non tier point running people.

Blueboys999 Sep 24, 2016 8:55 pm

Very authoritative and well informed poster on the AA board but I'd like to hear an official announcement first. If this does happen, the devil, as always, will be in the detail.

JonNYC Sep 24, 2016 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by Nuster (Post 27259274)
Cost of redemptions just reduced by a third. Good news for normal non tier point running people.

I don't think there's a compelling reason to believe that-- the product is still marketed and called "first," so I tend to go along with those who say that Avios redemption rates for same will not change.

Tobias-UK Sep 24, 2016 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC (Post 27259410)
I don't think there's a compelling reason to believe that-- the product is still marketed and called "first," so I tend to go along with those who say that Avios redemption rates for same will not change.

If the product is still marketed as first class then surely it must earn first class miles/points/Avios? It appears only the fare code is changing (J becoming a first class fare code instead of business), not the class of service.

Dave Noble Sep 24, 2016 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK (Post 27259449)
If the product is still marketed as first class then surely it must earn first class miles/points/Avios? It appears only the fare code is changing (J becoming a first class fare code instead of business), not the class of service.

If the fares become sold in J,R,D,I classes then they will credit as per J,R,D and I regardless of how AA chooses to advertise it

Tobias-UK Sep 24, 2016 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 27259486)
If the fares become sold in J,R,D,I classes then they will credit as per J,R,D and I regardless of how AA chooses to advertise it

That's not what the topic in the AA forum says, it simply states that Domestic First to be re-coded as J. It states the first cabin is being re-coded. There is no mention of the R D and I codes.

At at the moment there is no official announcement, no detail. Everything we have at this point is pure speculation. If AA changes its J fare code to be a first class fare code then it should attract first class earning across oneworld.

jdtravels Sep 24, 2016 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK (Post 27259507)
...If AA changes its J fare code to be a first class fare code then it should attract first class earning across oneworld.

So meaning that you think J will move up to have same earnings as F and A; and business class will become coded with R, I, D, C or whatever's left?

Any idea if existing bookings in F/A will become re-coded as J? And there's always a time lag between an airline's new coding and BAEC earning - e.g. QR's R class (deeply discounted business) existed for a few months before starting to earn anything in BAEC. That being the case, if the existing F/A tickets are re-coded as J...

Fly2Where Sep 24, 2016 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by jdtravels (Post 27259523)
So meaning that you think J will move up to have same earnings as F and A; and business class will become coded with R, I, D, C or whatever's left?

Any idea if existing bookings in F/A will become re-coded as J? And there's always a time lag between an airline's new coding and BAEC earning - e.g. QR's R class (deeply discounted business) existed for a few months before starting to earn anything in BAEC. That being the case, if the existing F/A tickets are re-coded as J...

don't think they will do anything to existing reservation. more to re-code for future bookings.

Tobias-UK Sep 24, 2016 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by jdtravels (Post 27259523)
So meaning that you think J will move up to have same earnings as F and A; and business class will become coded with R, I, D, C or whatever's left? ...

I have absolutely no idea, I'm afraid I only know as much as you do. There has been nothing official, I'm only 'thinking out loud'.

Dave Noble Sep 24, 2016 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK (Post 27259507)
That's not what the topic in the AA forum says, it simply states that Domestic First to be re-coded as J. It states the first cabin is being re-coded. There is no mention of the R D and I codes.

At at the moment there is no official announcement, no detail. Everything we have at this point is pure speculation. If AA changes its J fare code to be a first class fare code then it should attract first class earning across oneworld.

The 1st post from JonNYC states "Domestic non-transcon F to be booked as/info J" - seems pretty explicit that domestic 1st class will be sold using business class codes

AA currently does not use any of J,R,D or I for domestic USA 1st class , other than for a handful of 3 cabin services in the USA. It seems clear from the information given ( assuming it is accurate ) that AA intends to recode the flights to be business class codes rather than 1st class codes. At the moment the premium cabin on 2 class services are coded using P,A and F classes

Tobias-UK Sep 24, 2016 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 27259556)
The 1st post from JonNYC states "Domestic non-transcon F to be booked as/info J" - seems pretty explicit that domestic 1st class will be sold using business class codes...

You may well be correct, but the OP in that topic does not say J will be a business class code, he says first will be recoded to J. He makes no mention of R, D or I class.

Far too too little info available at this point, indeed there is no official information available at all.

Dave Noble Sep 25, 2016 12:00 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK (Post 27259628)
You may well be correct, but the OP in that topic does not say J will be a business class code, he says first will be recoded to J. He makes no mention of R, D or I class.

Far too too little info available at this point, indeed there is no official information available at all.

I find it extremely improbable however that AA will either remove use of discount codes or leave discount as 1st class whilst recoding full fare to a business class code

Discus Sep 25, 2016 1:22 am

Sounds like AA is doing the same as UA has been doing for a long time. Earnings as J and redemption as J. Only F if it is a "real" F with J cabin separating them from the crowd.