Wiki Posts
Search

Help needed with a 10 hour layover at Tokyo Haneda Airport

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2015, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Help needed with a 10 hour layover at Tokyo Haneda Airport

Hi all

We will be flying to Tokyo (Haneda) in February and arrive in the early hour's of the morning. We then have a layover for about 10 hours before we catch our night flight to Australia with Qantas.

Can anyone advise us on what the best way is to kill those 10 hours. We really do not want to leave the airport as we will be doing this on the return leg.

Could we stay in a lounge for roughly 6 hours, we are flying business class with Qantas but we are not sure what lounge we are entitled to enter as there are not any Qantas lounges at Haneda?.

Another idea was to stay at The Royal Park Hotel which is located in the airport, but not really worthwhile as we cannot check in untill 15.00 and if you wanted a early check in there is a fee to be paid.

Any ideas on this would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited by earthmatters; Sep 1, 2015 at 12:31 pm Reason: More descriptive heading
Old Sep 1, 2015, 12:12 pm

Programs: BA - Silver,Hilton-Diamond, IHG - PlatAmb, GHA - Plat
Hi, i would suggest looking at this forum thread, as it makes a good read for a layover at HND:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan...-planning.html
Old Sep 1, 2015, 12:15 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
A more descriptive thread title would be a start
Old Sep 1, 2015, 6:42 pm

I've done a few long international-international transits at Haneda, and while it is a great terminal - with interesting Japanese stores, live entertainment and a nice outdoor viewing terrace looking over the runway - the novelty will wear off after a couple of hours.

My suggestion given that you'll be exploring Tokyo more on the return is to visit a nearby onsen (Japanese spa). A good soak and scrub will make you feel much better after the very long flight, as well as helping reduce jetlag on your arrival in AU.

One good one that is fairly easy to get to from Haneda is the Oedo-Onsen http://www.ooedoonsen.jp/en/ It has outdoor and indoor pools, food court, lots of activities as well as spaces to have a nap.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 7:04 pm

Programs: CX DM
Visit the airport !!

If you are willing to go land-side (and for 10 hours, you really should), you can take the monorail (paid) / bus (free) to the two domestic terminals at Haneda, where essentially one serves Japan Airlines (T1) and the other Air Nippon (T2). Both are a cultural throw-back and worth a visit, especially T1 which is the older of the two, and has many miniature versions of venerated Japanese shops such as Takashimaya.

All three terminals have sky decks, but the view from the 6/F sky deck of T1 is fantastic. It looks back towards the International Terminal, with Mt. Fuji as the backdrop :

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/bu...%20airport.jpg

The sun also sets behind Mt. Fuji, and if you get there on a clear day, the view would just be phenomenal.

As for lounges, both CX and JL have opened new J lounges in Haneda and are very much worth visiting. The JL one has showers.

HTH.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 7:13 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
As atmorris mentions, there is a wealth of information about a long layover in Tokyo over on the Japan forum -- I suggest you come by and take a look!
Old Sep 2, 2015, 1:49 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
There is no way I would like to spend more than 2-3 hours (at most) airside at HND.

If you are flying WT or WT+ to HND most likely you'll want to sleep. There is an airport 'hotel' (more like a nicer hostel with individual cubicles) called First Cabin at domestic terminal 1 at HND that offers rooms on the hourly rate. It would be much better than staying airside as it gets painfully boring.
http://www.first-cabin.jp.e.jr.hp.tr...terminal1.html

There are other hotels around HND but day rooms are usually not availlable online on their website. I suggest you enquire at individual hotel, for instance Excel Hotel Tokyu:
http://www.tokyuhotelsjapan.com/en/h...NED/index.html

Royal Park may well also offer a day room. This will solve your 1500 check-in mentioned in your post.

HND airport itself offers a bit more interesting facility (shops etc) at their domestic terminals. HND international is frankly too boring to spend much time.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 5:34 am

HND is nice but quite small, i would be bored stupid after a couple of hours in the terminal.

ANA do hangar tours. I know nothing about them other than I saw a group being shown around last week as we taxied past. Website here - http://www.ana.co.jp/cp/kengaku/
Old Sep 2, 2015, 5:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Why not book the previous night in the hotel, and explain to them you will be checking-in late? You'd still get a good 8 hours or so of sleep I'd imagine.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 6:21 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11A501 Safari/9537.53)

If you dont want a quick nap, get in the city. Find a neighbourhood and walk around. Then get back to the airport for the lounge.
Perhaps gp to the imperial palace/ginza. Then u can do sth else on the inbound
Old Sep 2, 2015, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gcuk
A more descriptive thread title would be a start
Looking back, i must admit it was a very vague title to begin with ^
Old Sep 2, 2015, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
There is no way I would like to spend more than 2-3 hours (at most) airside at HND.

If you are flying WT or WT+ to HND most likely you'll want to sleep. There is an airport 'hotel' (more like a nicer hostel with individual cubicles) called First Cabin at domestic terminal 1 at HND that offers rooms on the hourly rate. It would be much better than staying airside as it gets painfully boring.
http://www.first-cabin.jp.e.jr.hp.tr...terminal1.html

There are other hotels around HND but day rooms are usually not availlable online on their website. I suggest you enquire at individual hotel, for instance Excel Hotel Tokyu:
http://www.tokyuhotelsjapan.com/en/h...NED/index.html
We are flying first into Haneda, so hopefully we should be ok on the sleep issue, it was really trying to find the best way to kill those 10 hours or so.

Have sent a enquiry to the Excel Hotel about the day rooms as this seems to be the best solution at present.^

Also we can explore the Domestic Terminals as well which has been mentioned by other people as this would also kill a few hours.

Last edited by armagebedar; Sep 7, 2015 at 5:27 pm Reason: fixed quote
Old Sep 2, 2015, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
If you do decide to stay at the airport, which I don't recommend, you can use the JAL Sakura lounge as business class passengers. There isn't much there in the line of food.

Haneda is a short trip from Hamamatsuchō by Monorail, and from there you can take the train or metro to... anywhere really. What do you want to do?
Old Sep 2, 2015, 1:52 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by stifle
If you do decide to stay at the airport, which I don't recommend, you can use the JAL Sakura lounge as business class passengers. There isn't much there in the line of food.
I think you may be thinking of Domestic Sakura Lounge, where there is effectively no food?

There should be a reasonable amount of food at international Sakura lounge (link to the menu below):
https://www.jal.co.jp/inter/lounge/p...a/hnd_food.pdf

However, HND domestic terminals have about a dozen restaurants each, where a much wider variety of food is available. International terminal does not have much eating or shopping facilities though.

Still, I wouldn't spend more than a few hours landside at HND either.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Sep 2, 2015 at 1:59 pm
Old Sep 2, 2015, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
I might be. I've been on 5 flights to, from, or within Japan in the last fortnight and they are all somewhat melding together in my brain.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.