Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Glassware not collected prior to landing in First

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Glassware not collected prior to landing in First

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2015, 4:17 am

Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
They also failed to open the curtains between CE & ET, to dim the cabin lights for landing at night or secure the curtains around the galley.
Which route was this on?
Worth remembering that the last air accident report for BA criticised the company for its training, as WW crew were not able to perform some basic safety tasks (like using a fire extinguisher) and the airline promised to change its training approach.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 4:19 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
I do think we need to keep a sense of proportion here.
Yes it is common sense that glassware (and all loose objects) should be stowed for landing but equally, surely the pax's own common sense would say call over a crew member and hand the glass over or drink up and stow it in a seat back or drawer, not hang onto it and start a Flyertalk talk thread.
There are much bigger issues this week than a champagne glass.

Last edited by gcuk; Mar 28, 2015 at 4:28 am
Old Mar 28, 2015, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
When securing the cabin I always think of worse case scenario and make the cabin as safe as possible.
I have been asked as a CSD by one of my crew if a customer can hold a glass for takeoff even though as crew we are told you cannot (crew like to please) but when I ask the crew member if they think that broken glass on the floor in an emergency is a good idea the penny drops and they change it for a plastic one.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 4:35 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Arienne du Rseau Courte Dure de British Airways
Originally Posted by headingwest
Should the overhead monitors be closed up?
On BA yes, but unaware of other airlines.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 4:45 am

Originally Posted by 710 77345
Which route was this on?
It was also M/F. Keanejohn posted a link earlier to that thread.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 4:50 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Common sense?
Thank you. These words have echoed in my head since the beginning since the beginning of this thread. I could not believe some of the stuff that I was reading. Does everything have to be spelled out in detail for it to be understood. I think that on these flights it was an oversight - someone just didn't notice. That is not an excuse, it's an observation.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 4:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Some have been an oversight and some due to lack of training in some areas.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 4:54 am

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by tom139
Had a rather worrying experience when a champagne flute wasn't collected prior to landing in First. ....
OMG someone please stop the press!

Please do write to the Daily Mail about this. I can almost see the headlines. BA PASSENGERS IN SHOCKING HORRIFIC ORDEAL
Old Mar 28, 2015, 4:55 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Thank you. These words have echoed in my head since the beginning since the beginning of this thread. I could not believe some of the stuff that I was reading. Does everything have to be spelled out in detail for it to be understood. I think that on these flights it was an oversight - someone just didn't notice. That is not an excuse, it's an observation.
That has to be the only explanation. The alternative would be to believe that BA's very demanding recruitment process was allowing people through with an IQ lower than a peanut.

Old Mar 28, 2015, 5:03 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
In defense of MF here it sounds like their BA training style has been very "by the book" and so it's hardly a surprise that they're going to operate in an attempt to strictly incorporate only things which are written down. If that is the case an appeal to common sense or an attack on their IQ is a bit uncalled for.

I was very critical of the first MF crews that I had as I didn't think that BA had provided adequate training, but now most have experience I'm very happy to have them look after me.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 5:10 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
In defense of MF here it sounds like their BA training style has been very "by the book" and so it's hardly a surprise that they're going to operate in an attempt to strictly incorporate only things which are written down. If that is the case an appeal to common sense or an attack on their IQ is a bit uncalled for.

I was very critical of the first MF crews that I had as I didn't think that BA had provided adequate training, but now most have experience I'm very happy to have them look after me.
So you think they need to be told specifically to use their common sense and if they do not it is a fault of their training?
Old Mar 28, 2015, 5:25 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
Originally Posted by Can I help you
When securing the cabin I always think of worse case scenario and make the cabin as safe as possible.
I have been asked as a CSD by one of my crew if a customer can hold a glass for takeoff even though as crew we are told you cannot (crew like to please) but when I ask the crew member if they think that broken glass on the floor in an emergency is a good idea the penny drops and they change it for a plastic one.
The bit in bold is the issue here I think. In the issue being discussed I guess it was a passenger in F coupled with a crew member trying to please BA's most important passengers (i.e. the ones who spend the most money).

I regularly see examples of cabin crew turning a blind eye to minor flouting of directives especially during take-off and landing. Examples: not ensuring a laptop is turned off and stowed, the tray table is up or headphones are actually removed during the safety briefing.

A decade or so ago the crew member would stand in the aisle by the offending passenger until that passenger complied.

These days it's just a cursory walk down the aisle and the only thing seems to be enforced is the seat belt.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 5:38 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by uk1
So you think they need to be told specifically to use their common sense and if they do not it is a fault of their training?
No, I'm saying that if they've been trained to exactly follow specific routines from a textbook that it wouldn't be surprising if anything not written in that textbook is left out in operations. Given the legal minimum crew-passenger numbers it's not like they don't have anything else to do and are just sitting around watching passengers drink out of glasses.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by rumbataz
The bit in bold is the issue here I think. In the issue being discussed I guess it was a passenger in F coupled with a crew member trying to please BA's most important passengers (i.e. the ones who spend the most money).

I regularly see examples of cabin crew turning a blind eye to minor flouting of directives especially during take-off and landing. Examples: not ensuring a laptop is turned off and stowed, the tray table is up or headphones are actually removed during the safety briefing.

A decade or so ago the crew member would stand in the aisle by the offending passenger until that passenger complied.

These days it's just a cursory walk down the aisle and the only thing seems to be enforced is the seat belt.
I still see crew going back to check laptops are stowed and I constantly remind customers that their PEDs now need to be held.
Headphones can now be used for takeoff and landing and although we request that people remove them for the safety briefing, customers do not have to remove them now. PEDs have to be in a pocket or held in the customers hand. ie. not sitting on any surface, like the fixed table in CE or the side area in First.

Yes, crew do like to please and often are reluctant to confront customers in First.
What surprised me was that there seems to be a misunderstanding about how to secure the cabin among the SCCMs on M/F too and that is what I found very worrying.

From what I know of Lite, she will address this situation, I am sure, and talk to the staff in training to check that all her collegues do understand this now and are reminded of how to secure for both landing and take off, which are identical processes.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 5:45 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
No, I'm saying that if they've been trained to exactly follow specific routines from a textbook that it wouldn't be surprising if anything not written in that textbook is left out in operations. Given the legal minimum crew-passenger numbers it's not like they don't have anything else to do and are just sitting around watching passengers drink out of glasses.
You are not saying "no" then are you. You are saying it is the fault of training if they don't use their common sense.

Isn't it common sense to use your common sense?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.