Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

HBO fares - Have to pay to select seat in advance [free for GCH/SCH/BCHs @ 14 Jun 17]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 7, 2015, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer

Hand Baggage Only fares (HBO) are available on domestic and EuroTraveller routes. They are offered at a lower price to those able to travel without checked baggage on point to point journeys only - they are not offered with connections, stopovers or with Club Europe. There isn't a special fare bucket for HBO, it's just a discount to all domestic/ET fare buckets, so even expensive flexible tickets offer HBO. The discount varies depending on route. For example, going HBO on LHR-DUB gives a £10 discount; £15 on LHR-PRG; and £20 on LHR-ATH. Online Travel Agents often book into these fares (including building stopovers) and are sometimes less than transparent about the baggage restrictions during the booking process. HBO fares do not earn OnBusiness credits.

BAEC status passengers from Bronze upwards get advance seat choice with these tickets.

How to get seat allocation if HBO and without status:
    - Pay up. You can pay up at OLCI if you don't like the seat. Costs vary from £7 to £21 per sector as a minimum, with differential pricing employed for better seats (e.g. an exit row on LHR-DUB was £23 in June 2017). Usually, but not always, this invalidates the cost saving of HBO. You can also pay up in Manage My Booking (MMB) before OLCI.
    - Cancel OLCI at the "confirm contact details" stage. Go in again and/or later and you may be offered another seat.
    - Corporate travel bookings still offer seating to HBO in some cases. Sometimes this ability is temporary and doesn't stick.
    - Ask check-in or the lounge agent for a better seat, so far this seems to be possible. Lounge agents won't be able to assist where they aren't part of the ground handling for BA (e.g. LBA).
    - If your airport has a Self Service Check In (SSCI) machine AND you do not print your boarding pass (see below) then you can select another seat there provided check-in is still open, typically up to 46 minutes before take off. So if you are being allocated a rotten seat and you can see better seats available, you can take a risk and complete/commence check-in later.

SSCI machines are available at: LHR, LGW, LCY, MAN, EDI (on the general purpose airport machines, but only those by the BA check-in area), NCE, BRU, OSL, BLL, AAR, MUC, AMS.
    They are NOT available at: ABZ, BHD, GLA, LBA, NCL, DUB, CDG, ORY, SVG, DUS, TXL, MAH, CFU, OLB, CTA, CAG, FDH, ANE, UIP, BIO, HER, SVQ, PMI, BRI.
    You can also do this operation the night before at LGW and LHR, details here.

By "printing boarding pass" we mean not selecting that option at OLCI, or saving, emailing, faxing and/or downloading the boarding pass on the App.
    Print Wikipost

HBO fares - Have to pay to select seat in advance [free for GCH/SCH/BCHs @ 14 Jun 17]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2016, 12:27 pm

Ahh. I knew it was possible on other tickets, but I didn't realise it worked on Basic/HBO. Interesting -thanks
    Old Aug 29, 2016, 5:10 am

Programs: QF Platinum
    Not sure if this data point has come up before, however I was able to allocate a seat on a domestic HBO fare (Q, O codes) prior to the booking being ticketed - note that this was booked via a corporate TA. I quickly snapped up 1F on both legs, however once ticketed it started asking for the £9 fee. Interestingly, that has since disappeared and I am free to move about throughout the cabin - OWE status, so all seats available.

The baggage restrictions still appear on the booking, so I am definitely still HBO, however I am somehow behind the paywall, so to speak.

Time will tell if the reservation is actually honoured - proof will be in the pudding at OLCI. Trip is not until 30 September, will provide an update after the flight itself.
    Old Aug 29, 2016, 5:15 am
    Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
    Originally Posted by ThreeRT
    Not sure if this data point has come up before, however I was able to allocate a seat on a domestic HBO fare (Q, O codes) prior to the booking being ticketed - note that this was booked via a corporate TA. .
    Yes, that's fairly normal with corporate deals, they have free seat selection included, even for non status passengers. And yes it is mentioned up thread, but I can certainly see why you may not want to wade through 1100 posts to find it! Q and O are not HBO related, the Basic fares run all over the fare buckets, as do the Plus fares.
    Old Aug 29, 2016, 5:20 am

Programs: QF Platinum
    Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
    Yes, that's fairly normal with corporate deals, they have free seat selection included, even for non status passengers. And yes it is mentioned up thread, but I can certainly see why you may not want to wade through 1100 posts to find it! Q and O are not HBO related, the Basic fares run all over the fare buckets, as do the Plus fares.
    Thanks CWS - I see it's also mentioned in the wiki, my apologies. Interesting that it wasn't an instant benefit, it has only appeared a week or so later.
    Old Aug 29, 2016, 5:31 am
    Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
    Originally Posted by ThreeRT
    Thanks CWS - I see it's also mentioned in the wiki, my apologies. Interesting that it wasn't an instant benefit, it has only appeared a week or so later.
    Some corporate systems allow direct seat selection, so it is immediate for them. Otherwise it needs your ticket to be issued, which for corporate TAs is usually the day before the ticketing deadline, a week wouldn't be odd.
    Old Aug 29, 2016, 6:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
    Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
    So I have an O class domestic return booked via a corporate travel agent. After booking I was immediately able to select seats but once ticketed less than 24 hours later the seats were removed and it is now asking me for a £9 fee for each leg.

One the one time that I booked through the same TA when I had no status I was able to select my own seat.

My latest trip was booked in July and is for travel in a couple of weeks its still only showing the ability to select seats for a charge but as its a LCY-GLA return I am not overly fussed as all the seats there are pretty good.
    Old Aug 29, 2016, 5:51 pm

Not sure if this has been discussed already (looooong thread), but:

I (Silver) flew a return HBO journey with someone (Blue) on a separate booking, and noticed an interesting quirk.

On the outbound from LHR, I got a wide range of seats to choose from (both pay online and SSCI machine), but my travelling companion only got a choice of two (really bad) seats.

On the way back, our seatmaps had identical availability.

Perhaps something FLY related?

I couldn't understand why they would block the Blue passenger from being able to pay for (or, ahem, SSCI) one of the many available seats that I (as a Silver) had access to?? Seems odd for an airline hellbent on maximising as much profit as possible!
    Old Aug 29, 2016, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by Virazuno
    Perhaps something FLY related?

I couldn't understand why they would block the Blue passenger from being able to pay for (or, ahem, SSCI) one of the many available seats that I (as a Silver) had access to?? Seems odd for an airline hellbent on maximising as much profit as possible!
    Yes, it's Theoretical Seating on FLY. See here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27133442-post18.html
    Old Sep 1, 2016, 9:31 am

Looks like my corporate deal includes 2 checked bags as well as seat selection on a basic fare.

Strange really, given how keen the portal was to point out my fare included neither, but I guess it's two different processes at work.

Either way, I'm a happy bunny in my window (A side of course!) exit row with a blocked middle seat.
    Old Sep 1, 2016, 11:05 pm
    Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
    Probably it has been covered here already, but what I find strange is that I just complected OLCI for my daytrip tomorrow (BSL-LHR-BSL, BA751 and BA756) and I (BA Silver) couldn't change the allocated seats for either flight for free. It is a HBO, G fare flight. Is this new? I somewhat recall I was able to change the seats on other identical bookings earlier this year. Could it be that this is due to the return flight not being within the T-24 window yet, but just the flight to London?
    Old Sep 1, 2016, 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by florens
    Probably it has been covered here already, but what I find strange is that I just complected OLCI for my daytrip tomorrow (BSL-LHR-BSL, BA751 and BA756) and I (BA Silver) couldn't change the allocated seats for either flight for free. It is a HBO, G fare flight. Is this new? I somewhat recall I was able to change the seats on other identical bookings earlier this year. Could it be that this is due to the return flight not being within the T-24 window yet, but just the flight to London?
    Nope, no free changing of HBO seats at OLCI - you can only do so at the self-service check-in machines.
    Old Sep 1, 2016, 11:56 pm
    Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
    Originally Posted by Ldnn1
    Nope, no free changing of HBO seats at OLCI - you can only do so at the self-service check-in machines.
    Roger, thanks.
    Old Sep 7, 2016, 2:09 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
    I was told yesterday that if you book an open-jaw HBO fare you're able to select seats at the time of booking. Can anyone confirm that?
    Old Sep 21, 2016, 4:58 am

My partner and I are both silver. However, due to having to book separate tickets on both flights - cheaper - when I go to select seats on his booking, I am being asked to pay for seat selection.

I however, have access to exit rows. When he's attached to another booking I have, it is also free for both.

Anyone know what that's about?
    Old Sep 21, 2016, 5:02 am
    Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
    Originally Posted by dodgeflyer
    My partner and I are both silver. However, due to having to book separate tickets on both flights - cheaper - when I go to select seats on his booking, I am being asked to pay for seat selection.

I however, have access to exit rows. When he's attached to another booking I have, it is also free for both.

Anyone know what that's about?
    Is this actually a HBO booking?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.