Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Live trip report, BRU-HNL-STT and back

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2014, 11:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
You guys are mental for not staying in Hawaii for a day or two, not only to recuperate, but to enjoy one of the most beautiful places on Earth (I don't mean Waikiki).
Old Apr 13, 2014, 11:39 pm

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
Why?

What in the world could make 2 of these huge runs worth it just to get GGL? If you need to generate all the points to get it I cant see why you need it

If you are flying enough then doing a small run might be worth it but this is basically buying something of little value to you.

Maybe I am missing something....
Old Apr 14, 2014, 12:12 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CT-UK
Why?

What in the world could make 2 of these huge runs worth it just to get GGL? If you need to generate all the points to get it I cant see why you need it

If you are flying enough then doing a small run might be worth it but this is basically buying something of little value to you.

Maybe I am missing something....
Don't worry about it. BTW it is a bit presumptions to say it is of little value to someone who does this. Isn't of little value to me and I suspect others.

I think the answer is the flying equivalent of George Mallory's answer to why he wanted to climb Everest, because it's there.

Originally Posted by LondonElite
You guys are mental for not staying in Hawaii for a day or two, not only to recuperate, but to enjoy one of the most beautiful places on Earth (I don't mean Waikiki).
This is a valid point for me at least - I think others are staying there longer and going around other islands. I am there for one night at the start and one at the end, so you are right that I am not going to see much beyond Waikiki. I am planning to have a proper holiday there next year so I can see the place properly.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 12:18 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
I wouldn't say it presumptuous to say there is little value. If you are not flying enough or nearly enough to earn the status then having it will give you little benefit.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 12:23 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CT-UK
I wouldn't say it presumptuous to say there is little value. If you are not flying enough or nearly enough to earn the status then having it will give you little benefit.
Well since we are all booked and either on our way or about to go, any questioning of our motives is a bit late now. Anyway, for me at least I have decided it is worth it so I think we should leave that discussion there.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 1:08 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Value or benefit will always be viewed from a personal perspective. Personally, I find my GGL benefits of great value. Good luck to you all on the TP runs. I look forward to reading your reports.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 2:43 am

Programs: OW Emerald (BA), UA*G, Marriott Plat, IC RA, Various others
Yikes! These itineraries are frightening - soooo many hours on planes.

Please tell me you've had a bit of medical advice, and might even have a pair or three of flight socks with you to avoid DVT? One of the members of this parish collapsed at work with blood clots whizzing all over his body - it wasn't pretty. He is lucky to have survived relatively intact!

I have a notion by the end all the meals you'll be having on AA will blur into one!
Old Apr 14, 2014, 2:49 am
Original Poster

I'm on foot wandering around Helsinki right now but I'll pot up my flights later today in the airport lounge. I'm on BA799 out of helsinki at 17.25 today and BA001 from city tomorrow morning.

As for why I'm doing this, well I'll get 2 holidays out of it, as I'm meeting my GF in Miami this time and then Hawaii next time and I've got a couple of million avios and a bunch of BA 2-4-1's that I want to use long haul but I can't get the dates that I want due to the poor avios availability.

I'll unlock 4 jokers in 2 years with GGL which should allow me to book into F when I want using the 2-4-1's and avios, so in theory £100k of flights for £20k ish.

I've timed the trip so I'm just into my new membership year which will give me 22 months of GGL.

Is it worth it? That's purely subjective, it's an interesting adventure.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 2:51 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AndyFlyer
Yikes! These itineraries are frightening - soooo many hours on planes.

Please tell me you've had a bit of medical advice, and might even have a pair or three of flight socks with you to avoid DVT? One of the members of this parish collapsed at work with blood clots whizzing all over his body - it wasn't pretty. He is lucky to have survived relatively intact!

I have a notion by the end all the meals you'll be having on AA will blur into one!
I never, ever travel without flight socks, even on longer car or train journeys I always pop them on. I did it before, but especially after a girl in our work died of DVT whilst on holiday in South Africa two years ago. Being female myself we do have a bigger risk of it anyway. My sister in law looked at me a bit funny when I gave her a pair of flights socks for Christmas last year before her flight to Australia, but did thank me once she understood exactly what it was for.

Back on topic, this is a crazy itinerary! I go on my first ever TP run two weeks on Saturday and I can't wait, but looks like I've missed all the other FT'ers in HNL by a couple of weeks
Old Apr 14, 2014, 3:15 am

Programs: GGL, BA lifetime Gold, Many Hotel Sparkles
Originally Posted by wonderman
I'm on foot wandering around Helsinki right now but I'll pot up my flights later today in the airport lounge. I'm on BA799 out of helsinki at 17.25 today and BA001 from city tomorrow morning.
I was confident that I was sat behind you on the flight to Helsinki and I will see you on the BA01 tomorrow :-D (not at all stalky in anyway)
Old Apr 14, 2014, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK

I've just been offered milk and cookies by a sweet old lady in a darkened first-class cabin, somewhere over Kansas. So much for adventure
Old Apr 14, 2014, 4:16 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Assuming the prices don't shoot-up in the meantime, I'll be doing a SJU..HNL run later in the year.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 5:02 am

Programs: BA GfL (GGL/CCR), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by IAN-UK

I've just been offered milk and cookies by a sweet old lady in a darkened first-class cabin, somewhere over Kansas. So much for adventure
All the AA CC seem to be sweet old ladies don't they! Warm cookies are lovely though...
Old Apr 14, 2014, 5:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BugAlugs
I was confident that I was sat behind you on the flight to Helsinki and I will see you on the BA01 tomorrow :-D (not at all stalky in anyway)
My seat number is on my boarding pass, ill pm it to you once I'm off the bus and in the lounge in a moment, in fact my photo is on the blog so you'll likely recognise me!
Old Apr 14, 2014, 5:30 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by billinghamn
Warm cookies are lovely though...
The highlight of AA domestic First IMHO, closely followed by the ice cream sundaes!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.