Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

New Mumbai International Terminal (15 Jan 14): Change to lounge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2014, 4:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, CX Gold (OW Sapphire), Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum

A heads up for all those flying from BOM, who don't already know. The new International Terminal is currently (correct as at 07 Jan 14) scheduled to open for flights from 15 Jan 14.

The terminal will continue to be known as T2, with all international flights are due to switch to the facility from this date - it is located next to the current T2 which will be closed, then demolished to allow the final stage of the new T2 to be completed.

Key points from speaking with BA staff on the desk/lounge yesterday, 06 Jan 14:
- Drop Off - the old T2 currently has only kerbside drop off, and there are a small number of uniformed (in tabbards) BA staff with a manifest to identify CW/F/Gold customers and assist. The situation with the new terminal hasn't be confirmed to the staff as yet
- Check In desks - BA (along with EK, AI, 9W) will continue to have dedicated desks in the new T2
- Lounge - there will **NOT** be a dedicated BA lounge (same applies to EK and LH). Instead there will be a much larger Operated lounge facility, which multiple airlines will use. This is the decision of the airport operator and not BA, who along with EK, protested about this situation. BA lounge staff suggested that OneWorld access rules should continue to apply, but they are urgently seeking clarification on this.

Am sure other travellers through BOM will be able to update - do be advised that there are inevitably likely to be teething troubles with the new facility.

(Domestic flights will transfer across later in 2014 to the 'International Terminal', which will make flight connections much easier ... details in the Indian media are woolly at the moment for an exact date)
Old Jan 7, 2014, 5:42 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, VS SV, SPG/RITZ Gold
Dedicated BA lounge will be a big loss - the shared lounge at 'old T2' gets so packed that you often can't find an single open seat.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 5:46 am

Programs: Meh
I used the 9W lounge recentlyand it was not very good. I fear for a communal lounge.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 6:12 am

Programs: MUCCI
Communal lounge - sounds like another 'enhancement'.......
Old Jan 7, 2014, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lhrjfkpax
Dedicated BA lounge will be a big loss - the shared lounge at 'old T2' gets so packed that you often can't find an single open seat.
Originally Posted by Flying Doctor
Communal lounge - sounds like another 'enhancement'.......
Apparently the new lounge will be considerably bigger than the old communal lounge.

And 'enhancement' makes it sound like this was of BA's choosing, which it definitely wasn't.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 7:49 am

Programs: BA
1. Open a new terminal
2. Prevent airlines from opening their own lounge
3. Charge the airlines a ridiculous rate per passenger knowing that they need to provide premium passengers with a lounge
4. Ensure that anyone in Government or an associated hanger on is allowed into the lounge
5. Cackle as you add this to the list of things designed to annoy foreign airlines along with banning the A380 (though apparently this is soon to be lifted)
6. Congratulate yourself on being the Indian Government
Old Jan 7, 2014, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Odd that BA opened a shiny Galleries lounge at BOM not so long ago if this was on the horizon.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 12:41 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Genius1
Odd that BA opened a shiny Galleries lounge at BOM not so long ago if this was on the horizon.
It probably wasn't, but then it was.

Last edited by baggageinhall; Jan 7, 2014 at 1:35 pm Reason: comma added
Old Jan 7, 2014, 12:44 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club, Virgin FC
shame about the lounge...i'm off to BOM In April for my first visit and BA having a Galleries there made the airport experience a little more to look forward to...

With BA and EK et al losing their lounges, i'm hoping they will have a lot of input into it...but i doubt it...
Old Jan 7, 2014, 1:39 pm

Programs: Meh
Indeed the BA lounge was a bastion of peace and serenity after the madness of travelling around India - something I enjoy actually but by the end I ready for some peace and quiet. The lounge I very much enjoyed as I knew I was on my way home. I will be hugely suprised if the new communal lounge will captures any of this.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 2:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Genius1
Speaking to family friends who work for various parties at BOM, it transpires that as recently as early 2013, the decision was made for BA/EK/LH to lose their individual lounges in the new terminal.

As for why BA opened a new lounge in the old T2 ... well, that was a few years ago and I don't think anyone has ever got (or predicted) the opening date of the new terminal right!
Old Jan 8, 2014, 2:57 am

I'm returning home from BOM on the 15th - the day the new terminal opens. I don't envisage a slick experience!
Old Jan 8, 2014, 4:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, SK *G, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by passy777
I'm returning home from BOM on the 15th - the day the new terminal opens. I don't envisage a slick experience!
Sources on the Indian airlines forum are saying the opening is delayed until February. I haven't been able to corroborate this but wouldn't be surprised if it's true...
Old Jan 8, 2014, 6:26 am

Programs: TK/SQ Gold, QR Plat, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, HH Gold, Hertz PC
There will also be a Plaza Premium Arrivals Lounge in the new terminal. Lets hope it has Priority Pass access.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by GaryK84
Sources on the Indian airlines forum are saying the opening is delayed until February. I haven't been able to corroborate this but wouldn't be surprised if it's true...
I Hope so. Looking at the new terminal on my way into BOM last week, I suspect there may be a delay, however, I appreciate that it is difficult to fully assess the progress of construction based on a brief external view.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.