Nairobi airport closed

Due to massive fire in the arrivals/departures area of the terminal:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-23598012
Old Aug 7, 2013, 12:38 am

Programs: BAEC, FB, QANTAS, IHG, Hilton, Marriott, AVIS Preferred, MRAeS
Originally Posted by chucko
Due to massive fire in the arrivals/departures area of the terminal:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-23598012
Looks bad, was wondering if BA65 will go today?
Old Aug 7, 2013, 12:41 am
Original Poster

From the look of the live feed, http://www.ntv.co.ke/live/ , they're going to have to make other arrangements for processing passengers for a while.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 1:05 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Very bad news for Kenya - and indeed for Kenya Airways! Only silver lining is no casualties reported.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 1:41 am

The airport has a NOTAM out estimating reopening the runway for operations at 0900UTC or 1200L in Kenya. Today's BA065 Canx. Whilst the runway may be usable, the BBC report makes any passenger processing rather unlikely for Int'l flights.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 2:14 am

Programs: BA GfL, TK *G+
hopefully the Lounge has been enhanced too.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 4:07 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
The 065 today is cancelled. I was to be on it tomorrow and have just cancelled my plans.

The KTN Kenya TV showed that the fire raged for four hours, and is now "contained", and shows smoke still coming out of international arrivals and firemen have not yet got into the building.
http://www.standardmedia.co.ke/ktn/live
The news desk are saying shut down "indefinitely"

That terminal is not going to opened for a while IMHO. It may now have been considerably "enhanced" since I was there last week

They are setting up diversions to Mombassa and Eldoret
Update at 1110 - the 1100 news has pictures from inside International arrivals - it is gutted. Apparrently contained from spreading to the departures area.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 4:58 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
It's a mixed blessing in a way.

The terminal is in desperate need of being rebuilt and expanded so this is a great opportunity to do it, plus they will no doubt be able to secure aid to do so. However having the airport closed in the peak tourist season will be a disaster for the economy, not to mention the damage to the fresh produce cargo businesses that operate from the airport.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 6:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Sigwx
The airport has a NOTAM out estimating reopening the runway for operations at 0900UTC or 1200L in Kenya. Today's BA065 Canx. Whilst the runway may be usable, the BBC report makes any passenger processing rather unlikely for Int'l flights.
I wonder how long it will be until someone claims that this does not count as extraordinary circumstances wrt EU compensation claims.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by kanderson1965
I wonder how long it will be until someone claims that this does not count as extraordinary circumstances wrt EU compensation claims.
Perhaps "self-inflicted terrorism" might be a suitable get out clause?

Or "This is Africa"
Old Aug 7, 2013, 7:01 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by kanderson1965
Had been thinking of posting something similar! Would much prefer to be a BA customer (or any EU airline) in this sort of situation given duty of care still applies. Presume BA would aim to do something like shuttle flights to Kilimanjaro or Dar es Salaam using a local airline where they can then get a big bird in to land...
Old Aug 7, 2013, 7:16 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by lorcancoyle
Had been thinking of posting something similar! Would much prefer to be a BA customer (or any EU airline) in this sort of situation given duty of care still applies. Presume BA would aim to do something like shuttle flights to Kilimanjaro or Dar es Salaam using a local airline where they can then get a big bird in to land...
I wonder if there is a local carrier who can easily transport a full BA flight from Kilimanjaro or Dar? Perhaps the Kenyan Government will turn Mombasa into a temporary arrival point into the country and then let airlines fly back to NBO as a domestic flight? Either way, this is going to cause short-term chaos in Kenya.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 7:17 am

Programs: BA Bronze
I noticed from the reports that the fire brigade took a long time to arrive.......

Maybe a silly question, but do they not have dedicated airport fire services ?
Old Aug 7, 2013, 7:25 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
They do have dedicated engines, but there were reported to be 20 tenders present at one point as outside engines also responded. The reports seem to be saying the external tenders took a long time to arrive. Probably so, they have to be called out and then try to drive through the Nairobi traffic chaos. I gather roads to the airport were already clogged with traffic - and the airport approach roads at NBO have to be seen to be believed!!

The news reports said they were running out of water, not unsurprisingly when you look at the fire!

Speed of response will be the issue and how caused - and what initial reaction ie could it have been contained earlier.

Fortunately no loss of life.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 7:26 am

Programs: BAEC, FB, QANTAS, IHG, Hilton, Marriott, AVIS Preferred, MRAeS
There is another airport nearby, WIL. I believe it's pretty much domestic flights and not sure what aircraft it could handle or if it could handle any extra traffic???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.