Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nairobi airport closed

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2013, 1:43 pm

Programs: BA Silver, EK Silver, ABP ;)
Originally Posted by fincastle84
The BA departure lounge was nowhere near arrivals. It was on the 5th floor of a building on the same side of the road as the main car park.
May it, and its bizarre warm snacks, rest in peace.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 1:56 pm

Programs: BA GGLfL
The BA departure lounge was nowhere near arrivals. It was on the 5th floor of a building on the same side of the road as the main car park.

I agree that it isn't the greatest but it was a lot better than anything else that NBO had to offer.
That part of the building is trashed. Period
Old Aug 15, 2013, 12:15 am

Programs: LOTS
Originally Posted by ClubClassCowboy
May it, and its bizarre warm snacks, rest in peace.
Amen.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 5:25 am

Interesting update by KAA. People shouldn't be having to use the tents for very much longer.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/kenya...86852768072018
Old Aug 15, 2013, 11:05 am

Programs: BA Silver, EK Silver, ABP ;)
Nairobi airport closed

The slick efficient Kenyan government leaps into action again. Everything will be fine.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 3:53 am

Originally Posted by antichef
The tale is recounted here:
http://www.airliners.net/aviation-ar...read.main?id=5

Fchan's stories appear to be contained within it, albeit they are two different incidents!!
Thanks for the clarification. On one forum it says

The one in the Nairobi game park was actually a touch and go as they climbed away and landed at the correct airport shortly afterwards!! The tire marks on the Cheetahs playground were clearly visible!! Jimmy Nightingale was the F/O and handling pilot.

http://www.mccrow.org.uk/eastafrica/...20Airports.htm has lots of early pics of this airport and mentions this Comet incident.

It also has a picture of a Victor there and I remember in the 60s as a small child once seeing rows of V tails parked there.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 7:58 am

Programs: ABBA
So arrived this morning on the BA61. I was in the last row of CW.

Disembarked down stairs, then boarded a coach, with lots of leg room.

Coach left fairly quickly (and was at least the second bus to leave), and went first to a drop off for transit passengers (international I assume), then onto a marquee. It wasn't overcrowded, like Heathrow buses can get, and plenty of seats in a 1-2 setup. About 5 people were standing when we left.

Joined the immigration queue, tables were available for those without landing forms, and there were about 5 people ahead of me. I chose the wrong one, as the next queue processed 3 people in the time mine processed 1.

Got to the front of the queue, handed over my passport, landing card, and visa application A4 piece of paper. Friendly agent, various tapping and scanning away, and then a photo (as my first trip to Kenya). Handed over my $50 bill (According to BA they also take Euro, GBP, and Swiss Franc, but I had plenty of dollars in my currency box).

Visa stuck in my passport, and stamped (stamp on the visa, so only 1 page used)

There's no cash machine airside, so make sure you have the cash before leaving heathrow.

There were desks behind the first line of passports, presumably to deal with difficult cases.

Walked through the tents, and into a door by a baggage carousel. Inside the building there were lots of suitcases all lined up, and people milling around. Had to wait for my suitcase to appear. All cases were being pulled off the carousel and stacked on the floor, as the conveyor would be far to small.

Eventually my bag appeared, collected, and walked through and onto the outside area. Taxi meeting point was 50 yards off to the left.

Total time from disembark to taxi was about 45 minutes. About 35 if I hadn't had hold baggage.

(Then took 2 hours to get into the centre of Nairobi)
Old Aug 21, 2013, 5:23 am

Total time from disembark to taxi was about 45 minutes. About 35 if I hadn't had hold baggage.
Only 15 minutes longer than normal when travelling in CW. When you return can you please let us know what BA are doing in the way of vouchers to compensate for the lack of the lounge?

Thanks for the detailed update.^
Old Aug 28, 2013, 3:58 pm

Programs: ABBA
Witten on a tablet, so apologies

So i returned on ba64 last thursday

left the office near the fairmont at 9pmish, took 20 mins to get to the airport. Taxi driver didn't know where to go, normally he drops off at unit 1, ba leave from terminal 2, at least last week.

No tents involved on departures.

Entered the building about 2120, immediately through an X-ray/WTMD, which needed belts off but no laptops out.

There were 4 ba check in desks, the wt and CW ones were obvious, F checkin next to the cw one but grey rather than blue, so don't get stuck in a silver queue. Not that the queue was long (2 people). Desks took bags via conveyer belt.

Checked in by 2135. Was not offered a blue departure card, but spotted a fellow traveller with one, so got one from the desk.

I believe I was towards the end of checkin, as I believe the flight was leaving 2320 that night.

Queue for departures then began. This was a long queue, no fast track.. Chap in front was on an EK business ticket and had to queue.

I think the queue stopped due to computers breaking down, in the end it was 2240 by the time I got my exit stamp.

Then went through to real security, laptops out. No queue as the emigration queue was the bottleneck.

Went through, redressed and repacked. Was then in a tiny departure area. EK were boarding straight ahead on a bus, to the right was a caf. Ba was off to the left, just after toilets.

There was a metal detector and X-ray machine there, literally 10 metres from the previous one, and a larger area of seats beyond, all full.

However to enter this larger area, you needed to go through the metal detector and X-ray. They tried to get,e to take off my boots, which I ignored and just walked on through.

After this, you then hand your bp over, get beeped, then have a final manual bag search!

No facilities at this point, just a few chairs, all full and them some with a full 772.

No wifi on offer.

About t-30 we had a call for first and business passengers to board the first bus. No mention of golds and others. A large queue formed, with few going forward. General boarding was then announced.

Buses were not overloaded like at heathrow, plenty available.
Boarded into WTP, had OJ and water offered as per-takeoff drink ^

No mention of lack of lounge, no voucher for the cafe, ba checkin staff seemed rather unfriendly and certainly not apologetic about the situation.

Don't turn up early for the airport experience!!
Old Aug 28, 2013, 11:48 pm

Thanks for taking the time to write your account of what sounds like a thoroughly miserable experience.

Re your comment that the BA staff weren't very friendly...........situation normal!

Hopefully by January things will have improved somewhat.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 1:53 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, BA Silver, FB Explorer
Thanks for the update. Hopefully some improvement by mid-October when we go through but not looking forward to the departure experience!
Old Aug 29, 2013, 2:28 pm

BA have just updated their website & state that both arrivals & departures are now operating from Unit 1.

I wonder??
Old Aug 30, 2013, 6:45 am

Programs: BA Silver; SPG Gold; UA; DL; AA
BA have just updated their website & state that both arrivals & departures are now operating from Unit 1.

I wonder??
Not sure what they are calling it, but my colleague arrived in NBO last night on BA and was out of the airport with her bags in 25 minutes (with US passport, and she already had her entry visa). The bags came out on a type of conveyor, which is an improvement from how it was just a week ago.

I wouldn't be worrying about what it will be like in October, let alone January... things there are in great shape, at least for arrivals, and I will have a fresh departure report in a week.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 1:14 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, BA Silver, FB Explorer
Originally Posted by TheSafariMan
I wouldn't be worrying about what it will be like in October, let alone January... things there are in great shape, at least for arrivals, and I will have a fresh departure report in a week.
Look forward to your update - thanks.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 2:40 am

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite
Flying BA 64 tonight in J. Will update on the situation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.