Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 30, 2013, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: T8191
The FlyerTalk BAEC Forum London DO!

Date and timings: Friday 7th June from 6pm

Pre-boarding is from 5pm, but the main event kicks off at 6pm. Indicative timings for the rest of the evening are food at 7:30 and auction at 8:30. These may move slightly on the day depending on when people arrive, so get there early!

Venue: Parliament Panorama, St Thomas' Hospital, SE1 7EH

There will be signage and staff available to guide you to your gate, but the venue is essentially in between the waterfront and St Thomas' hospital, it is visible from Westminster Bridge.

This is quite an exciting venue that Chris and I have managed to procure, we hope you all enjoy it! We have use of XboX and Wii, with large TV screens, for some gaming entertainment. The view will of course be wonderful, if you can pull yourselves away from the bar. There is also an outdoor area, with views over the Thames towards The Houses of Parliament. See below for the current build status!

Food:

The venue have very kindly agreed to put on a "British Summer Classic" picnic free of charge, this will include;

Mini coronation chicken tarts
Mini pea, asparagus tarts with mint créme fraiche
Selection of smoked salmon and mackerel with horseradish cream and watercress
Beetroot, orange and rhubard salad
British cheese platter with oatcakes and relish
Hand carved meats with piccalilli and breas

Alcohol:

There will be a bar on site serving bottled beers, spirits, wines and champagne. The prices are very reasonable, starting at just £3 for a bottle of beer! Please note that there will only be one credit card machine at the venue, so we kindly ask you to bring cash and only use the machine for larger purchases!

Link to Pre-Order wine list

Local amenities:

There are numerous hotels in the local area (ranging from Premier Inn to Mariott) and the venue is located 10 minutes walk from Waterloo Station and Westminster Station.

Auction and raffle:

We will be holding a charity auction at the event, full "prizes" to be announced on the night (we are looking for kind donations, so if anyone has anything to auction then please do let us know), but the current offering is:

Two week vacation in an Orlando villa. The villa has 7 bedrooms, sleeping up to 14 people, has a pool, gamesroom and large family room. It is located just a few miles from the theme parks and overlooks a nature reserve. Flights are not included and blackout dates (such as bank holidays and school holidays) will apply. Please PM me for further information.

Fancy having an FT renowned chef cook you and 3 guests dinner? Fancy having food and alcohol included? I know I do, so if you live within the M25 then bid for this amazing prize!

So you've bid for, and won, the chef's dinner for 4 persons. What could make the night even more special? How about having our very own pianoamit supply his wonderful musical talent? A piano is required, but this is one talent not to be missed!

Case of Champagne kindly donated by one of the suppliers to the event.

There will also be a raffle, with tickets costing £10 each and an amazing array of prizes on offer! This is a St Thomas' hospital raffle with just 300 tickets on sale, so when they are gone, they are gone! Snap them up quickly!

Link to Raffle Prizes

Charity begins on FT

We are a lovely bunch, but let us not forget that whilst we complain about the gloop in Galleries First or the breadcrumbs on our seat in Club Europe or the horror of trying to drink slightly warm vintage Champagne in First that there are people out there who are genuinely suffering. So whilst we are drinking Champagne and enjoying the beautiful view across the river, please do dig deep and consider those less fortunate. As such we will be supporting two charities that I feel passionately about, one I have known about for some time, the other is new to me, but one that touches the heart;

Holidays For Heroes: Our very own T8192 and his Bears work for this not-for-profit organisation, which provides respite holidays for our military wounded, wives/widows and their families.
Evelina Trust: An NHS Foundation to support sick children and their families, run by the very venue we are hosting our event in.
Print Wikipost

London* Do - Friday 7 June (* Sarf)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2013, 4:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
London* Do - Friday 7 June (* Sarf)

Inspired by the Manchester Do (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ch-2013-a.html) and Jersey Do (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...il-2013-a.html) and a few FTers outing themselves as Sarf Londoners in the Jersey thread, a few of us thought it was time to suggest a London Do with a South London (definition of South London evolved after we were offered a great venue to "South of the River London") venue .

Friday 7th June - 6pm to 11pm (possible Inferno's After Party - for those really keen)

The venue is Parliament Panorama, Riverside, St Thomas Hospital, Westminster.

We will have a heated and waterproof marquee with an outside area under cover and an open terrace all with fantastic views of The Thames, The Houses of Parliament and Big Ben.

Maximum capacity is 300 so feel free to invite along lurkers, OneWorld friends, friends, family, better halves etc.

It is a private event with security and only those on the guest list will be given access. So if your name isn't on the list, you ain't coming in.

Gavin, a fellow FTer, is kindly laying on finger food themed "summer picnic". See wiki for detail.

The bar will be serving wide range of drinks including champagne, wine, bottled beers (no draught beers) all at very reasonable prices. A list of the special wines available is in post 358 on page 24.

Giant Jenga, Wi consoles and full music system available for our use.

There will be an auction on the evening for a very wortwhile cause(s) - please check the wiki for details.

Parking is available and nearest underground stations are Westminster or Waterloo. We'll work up some hotel suggestions for those needing them.

The venue suggests anyone wishing to join the Infernos After-Party set off around 11pm and those of us more sensible start drinking up around the same time.

Attendee list:

1 chris1979
2 stevieed
3 gav0106
4 Boadh398
5 corporate-wage-slave
6 CreativeBill
7 CreativeBill+1
8 London Andy
9 Mrs LondonAndy
10 OrchardTravel
11 GodAtum
12 RoseFPS
13 exilencfc
14 srbrenna
15 angeloedades
16 lorcancoyle
17 nh1980
18 nwmgc
19 Mrs nwmgc
20 cedarjet707
21 dxb-flyertalk
22 tearsplash
23 Steve Oh
24 KeaneJohn
25 ariyo15 (TBC?)
26 pianoamit
27 pianoamit+1
28 missdimeaner
29 olybeast
30 Sixth Freedom
31 SpurMan
32 BA6501
33 Fruitcake
34 Fruitcake+1
35 londonbus
36 dera
37 fredandgingermad
38 haasha
39 Yahillwe
40 Petrus
41 Physci
42 Physci+1
43 FenLandUK
44 eejp1007
45 eejp1007+1
46 Polomarc
47 Polomarc+1
48 LostEthics
49 Aus_Mal
50 hsk
51 hsk +1
52 enda1
53 enda1+1
54 mattyw
55 dnajockey
56 Quietlyconfident
57 Quietlyconfident+1
58 Quietlyconfident+2
59 rxfleming
60 rxfleming+1
61 rxfleming+2
62 PETER01
63 GregWTravels
64 GregWTravels+1
65 keepssmile
66 skye1
67 skye1+1
68 Top of climb
69 Top of climb+1
70 Top of Climb+2
71 redtailshark
72 TheFlyingDoctor
73 BahrainLad
74 lukew
75 lukew+1
76 JCUK316BA
77 JCUK316BA+1
78 Rome77
79 Rome77+1
80 JimboandtheJetset
81 limbosongs
82 limbosongs+1
83 hanrahantom
84 hanrahantom+1
85 chansson
86 Noctilux
87 KARFA
88 visualAd
89 flashware
90 Travelman91
91 Mrs Travelman91
92 GK
93 Deckard
94 Dkad
95 Dkad+1
96 Arsey00
97 pinkcat
98 Mr pinkcat
99 EuropeanPete
100 jabrams72
101 jabrams72+1
102 kasyorks
103 kasyorks+1
104 panny
105 panny+1
106 panny+2
107 panny+3
108 coldwalker
109 mgiarc
110 calthrop
111 calthrop+1
112 FlyingWella
113 johnny5a
114 johnny5a+1
115 microwave
116 microwave+1
117 lorcancoyle
118 SimonP
119 ChiswickFlyover
120 hsk+2
121 Polomarc+2

Last edited by chris1979; Jun 7, 2013 at 8:11 am
Old Mar 11, 2013, 4:24 am

Programs: BA Gold
If my house move to saaaarf of the river has gone through by then (which I really hope it has), I'm in
Old Mar 11, 2013, 4:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Regret unable to attend, as I shall be in The Land of the Free.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 4:52 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I will be there.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 5:04 am

I'm in with my +1.

The Falcon is fine, but if numbers get large it might be an idea to go for somewhere with a larger garden like the Grand Union on Acre Lane.

The great British Summer will hopefully have put in an appearance by then!
Old Mar 11, 2013, 5:07 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by chris1979
Inspired by the upcoming Manchester Do (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ch-2013-a.html) and Jersey Do (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...il-2013-a.html) and a few FTers outing themselves as Sarf Londoners in the Jersey thread, a few of us thought it was time to suggest a London Do with a South London venue.

So, the proposal at this stage is:

Friday 7th June - from 6pm onwards
Venue in South London (suggestions welcome - so far include a The Falcon in Clapham and other similar venues in Clapham / that area).

Not organised a Do before but am sure between the few who thought it was a good idea, we can get something organised so to get the ball rolling, please post / let me know if you are interested and I'll try to do half a good a job as T8191, BotB and RedVee are doing on the current other live Dos.

Attendee list:

1. chris1979
2. stevieed
3. darthlemsip (successful move pending)
4. corporate-wage-slave

Happy Mondays and Do planning.
The Falcon on a Friday night will be rammed, may not be the best place for a meet, esp as how it's set up, there's only really the one small area where 6 or so folk can gather comfortably
Old Mar 11, 2013, 5:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Originally Posted by CreativeBill
I'm in with my +1.

The Falcon is fine, but if numbers get large it might be an idea to go for somewhere with a larger garden like the Grand Union on Acre Lane.

great.

Falcon was suggested by a fellow southerner - I haven't been myself but will do a scout trip and put a few suggestions forward nearer the time.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 5:12 am

Programs: BAEC GCH, CXMP Gold, Amex Plat, HH Gold, Accor Plat, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by chris1979
Originally Posted by CreativeBill
I'm in with my +1.

great.

Falcon was suggested by a fellow southerner - I haven't been myself but will do a scout trip and put a few suggestions forward nearer the time.
Yeah, I've been thinking about the Falcon (as suggested by me). Agreed with people's comments. Probably perfect for up to ten people, but any more and it wouldn't really work.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 6:13 am

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
PanGalactic and I were thinking of hosting something in June, so this has saved us a job

However, as he is currently suspended (again ) we didn't get round to getting our act together.

Subject to approval by SWMBO then I'll be there.

Clapham is even further south of the river than me, so I have no suggestions regarding venues. However, my only words of wisdom is to get a cordened off area in a bar or, even better, a room (if they don't charge for it!) as it can be very disconcerting for old hands to wander into a crowded pub where they don't know who is with the group or not, never mind newer members.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 6:18 am

Programs: Mucci de Pucci, BA Gold, Delta SkyMiles, CX Gold, AMEX Plat, 25 meter swimming badge
I'll declare an interest in this, given that my office is in CLJ I could hardly pass this one up, you've brought the party to me.

The Falcon's champagne list is sub-par though, and you might find warmer accommodation and colder sparkling wine at La Gazette on Garton's Way.

I may well be off the source though given that I seem to have signed up for a 100km sponsored ride the next day.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by LondonAndy
PanGalactic and I were thinking of hosting something in June, so this has saved us a job

However, as he is currently suspended (again )
When will they unsuspend him????
Old Mar 11, 2013, 7:07 am
Original Poster

However, as he is currently suspended (again ) we didn't get round to getting our act together.

Subject to approval by SWMBO then I'll be there.

Clapham is even further south of the river than me, so I have no suggestions regarding venues. However, my only words of wisdom is to get a cordened off area in a bar or, even better, a room (if they don't charge for it!) as it can be very disconcerting for old hands to wander into a crowded pub where they don't know who is with the group or not, never mind newer members.
great minds think alike and all that.... or "two idiots, one thought".

not proposing we establish a committee but clearly the more the merrier re helping organising and points re venue and area / room taken on board (I went to the one you organised in London a few years ago and having an area was good).
Old Mar 11, 2013, 7:18 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
Hi all,

Pencil me in please Are you looking for just a pub or other type of restaurant?
Old Mar 11, 2013, 7:21 am

Programs: BA Gold
However, my only words of wisdom is to get a cordened off area in a bar or, even better, a room (if they don't charge for it!) as it can be very disconcerting for old hands to wander into a crowded pub where they don't know who is with the group or not, never mind newer members.
If everyone could just wear a red carnation, that should make it fairly simple to spot us all...
Old Mar 11, 2013, 7:24 am

Programs: BA-GGL, SU-G Agean, G,, Hhonours D, Starwood G, IHG G,
Love to but as date runs out on GC on 8th, was planning to go off on 11th with Ms BTC, timing does not work as my stopover is from 11th

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.