Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Onboard Upgrade Trial - Starts 17th December

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Onboard Upgrade Trial - Starts 17th December

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2012, 4:17 am

Originally Posted by Yahillwe
And if they are going to implement it, how are the CSD going to calculate the fare? What if someone bought their ticket with avios? I think it is best to let the ground crew handle it, they have all the info needed on hand.
Hmm - but if this is anything like POUG and on-the-day airport paid upgrades, the fee doesn't depend on how much you paid for your ticket or whether it was with Avios, Avios+cash, or cash. It's just a flat rate, depends on the class you're currently booked in and where you're upgrading to...

WT > WT+ = £x
WT+ > CW = £y

Even on my worst days I could probably remember two numbers - £x and £y
Old Dec 17, 2012, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
That is part of it... But, you know as well as I do, that there is a lot more to do than just counting meals in CW that the CSD certainly does not do, which, if there were still a Purser instead of a Junior in the No.2 or No.7 position would be done by them.

With the greatest of respect, I know you see yourself as a good and hard working CSD and I am sure that is true. But, seeing as you don't work with other CSD's... I can assure you, you are in the minority when it comes to CW duties, before and during flight.
I am sure when we fly together it will be very easy for both of us.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by A P Yu
No, dont be silly, they couldnt do it at the same time. The good ones will consider all of their management duties and 'manage' those duties in the most efficient way possible depending on the flight. (Like other managers do in other businesses, when for instance shops suddenly become busy, or when an office suddenly recieves an unexpected order).

The lazy ones will assume its all too much hassle and not even try - along with services such as saying hello to golds and all the other 'services' which can get in the way.

I stand by my point, the good ones will make it work, and they will get great feedback and hopefully recognition for doing so
I believe that the good one will struggle as well as most of the duties we have outside of the meal service are at the start of the flight, but lets wait as see.
I do respect your knowledge and experience as a SCCM with BA.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 5:15 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Originally Posted by Can I help you
I do respect your knowledge and experience as a SCCM with BA.
Thanks.

It is easy to judge while you are sitting comfortably in your chair. When in fact there is a lot to be done before the doors close and getting the plane ready for take off.
Id expect them to do it after take off like VS
Old Dec 17, 2012, 5:22 am

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
And if they are going to implement it, how are the CSD going to calculate the fare? What if someone bought their ticket with avios? I think it is best to let the ground crew handle it, they have all the info needed on hand.
Did you get to stop off in London on the way back from NCL?

To your point, I assume that it is going to be a flat rate, regardless of how much you paid for the orignal ticket or indeed used Avios.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by Lite
Having recently taken out a longhaul flight as CSM, trying to juggle having a presence at the boarding door, setting up the IFE for use during boarding, having the flight crew and TRM on at you for getting the doors closed and monitoring the ensuing hand baggage and seat assignment chaos is already enough even for experienced crew. Add in to this having to discretely sell upgrades might be a bit too much and something will have to give.
What's involved in setting up IFE at the start of the flight? In my mind it's pressing a couple of buttons but clearly it's not.

Why would a CSM/CSD have to do it anyway? Isn't it something that another crew member could do?

Am asking purely out of interest as I'd have thought your time is better spent on other stuff.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is only on the old GMIS tape system that we have to set it up and that will be a thing of the past in the next few months.
All crew have duties to carry out before customers board, A P Yu can give more details of what the SCCM does as he has lots of experience.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by LondonAndy
Did you get to stop off in London on the way back from NCL?

To your point, I assume that it is going to be a flat rate, regardless of how much you paid for the orignal ticket or indeed used Avios.
Didn't even get a chance to ask, went from some guy who checked my bp told me to go upstairs went upstairs, there was a door and an elevator so went through the door, and there I was right smack in the middle of T5. So no chance of asking to stay.

So how much would the flat rate be? It might be cheaper to buy a CW then buy an upgrade? Would one get the full TPs, and avios?

Once I asked if my girl could come up, (she was sick and I wanted her next to me), when I was given the price, I gave her a sleeping pill told the FA if she woke up and needed something to get me. The price for the upgrade was more expensive than the ticket itself.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 7:43 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
Originally Posted by London_traveller
What's involved in setting up IFE at the start of the flight? In my mind it's pressing a couple of buttons but clearly it's not.

Why would a CSM/CSD have to do it anyway? Isn't it something that another crew member could do?

Am asking purely out of interest as I'd have thought your time is better spent on other stuff.
The Thales system which is now on the 777-300, the refurbed 777-200s and the ex-bmi Midhaul Airbuses is fantastic because it does pretty much just need to be signed into. The older GMIS system requires being set up and all of the tapes put in place and the AVOD system needs certain data entered into it as part of the set up, as well as downloading the Daily Content DVD. None of that takes more than a few minutes, but when you have 12 minutes from boarding the aircraft to having your pre-boards arrive at the end of the airbridge, every minute counts.

Although I don't take flights out very often as CSM (as an FTCSM), to digress a little from the original point of the thread, from my perspective these are already my pre-take off duties in the 12 minutes before boarding;

* Liaise with the Flight Crew * Security and Safety Checks * Check the Medical Kit / Docs Bag are loaded * Check Immigration / Customs Forms are loaded * Check Disinfection Spray is loaded * Familiarise Crew with the Evac Alarm and Smoke Detectors * Check Water Quantity * Liaise with Dispatcher * Receive any special / diplomatic cargo * Check Cabin Maintenance Log and Inform Crew of anything leaving base defective * Switch On IFE and Load Daily Content, checking monitors work * Switch on Boarding music * Set up / Standby Safety Video * Make sure all checks are checked, then ask Flight Crew and Dispatcher to start boarding.

That's all within 12 minutes. Then the real fun starts with boarding. * Board everyone * Do PA's * Make sure all hand baggage is in an approved stowage * Close up the doors with all relevant paperwork * Potentially spray insecticide * Get the doors into automatic and cross checked * Play the safety video * Receive cabin secures and then set lighting accordingly before passing on cabin secure to the Flight Crew *.

It might not seem a lot to some people with what they have to achieve in their jobs, but I already think this is a lot when you then have to potentially meander through the aircraft finding "targetted customers" to ask if they would like to pay to upgrade further up the aircraft. After take off as well there is plenty to do, but I won't go into that long list as well, unless anyone is particularly keen to see as per the job description what we are expected to do. I personally think this is much better targetting customers at online check in, on checking in at a desk or kiosk or when signing into the lounge.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 7:48 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Originally Posted by Can I help you
A P Yu can give more details of what the SCCM does as he has lots of experience.
Along with a more proactive customer focussed attitude it would seem.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by Lite

That's all within 12 minutes. Then the real fun starts with boarding. * Board everyone * Do PA's * Make sure all hand baggage is in an approved stowage * .
I personally think this is much better targetting customers at online check in, on checking in at a desk or kiosk or when signing into the lounge.
Bolding, talk about making sure luggage fits into the compartments. The other day the FA, one wonderful lady tried and tried and tried to put this young man's luggage, and it was BIG and HEAVY. All the while he is seated watching her. I almost told him to get off his butt and do it, since this isn't HER job. The crew really went over board trying to fit it, then they were going to check it in, he was transiting. So they couldn't. heck, it it were me, I would have check it in for him, since he couldn't be bothered. Finally he stood up, took the second zipped bag and they (crew) put it in for him.

I do agree, if a passenger wants to move up then the option should be at the gate in a certain line.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by A P Yu
Along with a more proactive customer focussed attitude it would seem.
I doubt it, where as I do the job and have over thirty years experience and know what is possible and what it not you just feel you know it all.
I might moan on here and be bluntly honest but I do care and always do my best, what are you good at?
Old Dec 17, 2012, 8:13 am

Why is it only 12 minutes? If I was that rushed in my job before a client arrived I'd toddle into the office a tad earlier to have time to get things done without rushing.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 8:21 am

Seems to me the trial should include two variations: one where it's done during boarding, and another immediately after take-off.

Either way, for the reasons already mentioned on this thread, I can't imagine the take-up will be good.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 8:22 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
Originally Posted by Poxball
Why is it only 12 minutes? If I was that rushed in my job before a client arrived I'd toddle into the office a tad earlier to have time to get things done without rushing.
We have something called a "Critical Path" which is a set list of timings that we follow from checking in until the doors are closed. On longhaul flights this gives us a set time to meet for the briefing (90 minutes before Scheduled Time of Departure), the briefing is scheduled to last for so long, we're given a set period of time to make it through security and make it on the aircraft and from that set time there is 12 minutes until we're expected to have pre-boards ready to board. There's then pre-determined times for the doors to be closed. Any delays that can be accountable to the SCCM are potential grounds for a meeting with your manager. Unfortunately we do not have the option of arriving a tad earlier, as crew are only paid from the beginning of the briefing and the briefing cannot begin until everyone is there. Hope that sheds some light on things for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.