FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Onboard Upgrade Trial - Starts 17th December (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1418035-onboard-upgrade-trial-starts-17th-december.html)

BingBongBoy Dec 16, 2012 11:11 am

Onboard Upgrade Trial - Starts 17th December

This will be available on routes being operated by one of 100 Senior Crew members, so this is not route specific.

We are awaiting more detailed information, however this will be starting on the 17th, and will ONLY be available on routes operated by these SCCM's.

I will post some more information if and when it becomes available.

I have no information on prices etc...

BBB

JimEddie Dec 16, 2012 11:17 am

Thanks for the info BBB, sounds intriguing. I would have to guess this will be cash upgrades only.

Petrus Dec 16, 2012 11:21 am

Will we get TPs!!!!!?? :p

csdavidson Dec 16, 2012 11:21 am

With the iPads, would they not have access to your Exec account / Internet?

Put in your number + password and press upgrade. That's the way I'd do it. Same for paid upgrades using credit card.

Stez Dec 16, 2012 11:25 am

Intriguing. Not wanting to turn this into a world/mixed fleet thing, but is this applicable to one or both fleets?

Fruitcake Dec 16, 2012 11:28 am

Originally Posted by Stez (Post 19867337)
Intriguing. Not wanting to turn this into a world/mixed fleet thing, but is this applicable to one or both fleets?

Good question - and only long haul?

r22r44bell47 Dec 16, 2012 11:31 am

Interesting - how would the catering work? Would the upgradee (?) be asked last, or would it be pot luck? Given the current lack of ability to provide for the passengers who are prospectively booked into any given (premium) cabin, it could get complicated. Last trip back from Tokyo, the CW wine bar was being raided for F passengers.....

BingBongBoy Dec 16, 2012 11:59 am

Upgrade payment will be processed on the same machine which is used to sell Duty Free products.

windowontheAside Dec 16, 2012 12:02 pm

Any information on how (and when) it will be communicated to pax?

BA or bust Dec 16, 2012 12:08 pm

Some years ago I was offered an on-board upgrade from WT+ to J on a trip from DXB to LHR. Something like £600 IIRC correctly. :eek: I politely declined, not worth it for a bed for a few hours.

origin Dec 16, 2012 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by windowontheAside (Post 19867478)
Any information on how (and when) it will be communicated to pax?

It would appear, in the sun newspaper. :eek:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...es-return.html

http://www.ttgdigital.com/news/ba-co...686069.article

gw76 Dec 16, 2012 12:20 pm

I dont like the sound of that at all. MMB upgrades should just be more forthcoming and available. A much tidier solution

BAflyer2007 Dec 16, 2012 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by r22r44bell47 (Post 19867370)
Interesting - how would the catering work? Would the upgradee (?) be asked last, or would it be pot luck? Given the current lack of ability to provide for the passengers who are prospectively booked into any given (premium) cabin, it could get complicated. Last trip back from Tokyo, the CW wine bar was being raided for F passengers.....

I also would like to know is this across all cabin's, in particular Club to First?

I'd be interested in doing it but would I get all the bits and bobs that goes with First? Would I get CCR access arriving into LHR and connecting to say Newcastle? Would I get a Club meal or would I get from the First Cabin? Will there be extra meals loaded? Last year there wasn't enough duvets and pillows on one of my flight's for everyone so do the people who upgrade have to make do?

I know these are a lot of (what if) questions and I do think its a good idea but I hope this has been thought out.

Lite Dec 16, 2012 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by Stez (Post 19867337)

This is a trial on specific routes with selected CSD's/CSM's. Most of the routes on the trial are Worldwide routes, but there are some that are operated by Mixed Fleet. Upgrades will be paid for using the duty free devices. During the trial, targeted customers will be asked if they would like to pay to upgrade to seats further up the aircraft. This will be WT to WT+ or WT+ to CW. There's no option to upgrade more than one cabin and there will be no option to upgrade from CW to F. Allegedly, the upgrade is the seat not the service, so there is no guarantee of your first choice of meal or even a choice of meal from the cabin you've upgraded to. Allegedly.

Personally, there is already the opportunity to pay for upgrade at the check in desk. If customers don't choose to then, it's unlikely they will choose to onboard. Surely a better use of the SCCM's time before take off is setting up the IFE and being present for all customers during the boarding process. It'll be interesting to see the outcome of the trial, but I personally think there are better ways to process upgrades and this could have negative repercussions for yield management in premium cabins if paid for upgrades onboard became the norm.

Lobengula Dec 16, 2012 12:47 pm

Interesting, but any upgrades should IMHO be sorted out before boarding. I can see many problems doing so on-board.