Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will BA Ever Fly from Stansted Again?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2012, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Will BA Ever Fly from Stansted Again?

BA used to run a few domestic flights exSTN.

It has 3 747-8Fs based there for cargo ops.

Today I was looking at flights and noticed London (Stansted) as one of the drop down menu options. I don't recall seeing this in recent times.

Just a glitch, or are we on to something here?

Surely, STN has a good catchment area, plenty of money in Essex and particularly for premium leisure routes there must be a market for flights other than on Ryanair?

Do you think this will ever happen, and if so, which routes?

[oops, posted in wrong forum, meant to be in BAEC]
Old Sep 1, 2012, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
But I guess they could cover the premium leisure routes from what they have out of City....
Old Sep 1, 2012, 12:52 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by oscietra
[oops, posted in wrong forum, meant to be in BAEC]
Your wish is, as ever, my command...

stut
UK & Ireland
Old Sep 1, 2012, 1:12 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, Le Club Accor Gold
I wish they would, STN is my 'local' airport and going to LHR or LGW is a bit of a trek sometimes
Old Sep 1, 2012, 1:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: Mucci, BAEC (Silver), FlyBe
There's a certain logic to the idea, but consider what sort of routes BA fly from their other UK airports: you get everything (domestic / SH / LH) from LHR; everything except LH business from LGW; and domestic only from other UK airports.

The question, then, is what sort of traffic STN would take on. Premium leisure is your suggestion, but surely not domestic? SH maybe, but then it would be competing with LGW and we aren't even 100% certain of the future of BA there. So we're left with LH leisure, and one would then wonder which routes would justify setting up ops at a brand new airport (they'd have to be pretty spectacular) which, even though it's on the other side of London, would still be competing with two other LON airports.

It's a possibility, but I think it would be limited only to LH routes that are usually very popular. Far better, although for different reasons, would be to improve the service at MAN to include international flights. Ideally the same would happen at BHX but there are many reasons why that isn't an option.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 1:21 pm

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Today I was looking at flights and noticed London (Stansted) as one of the drop down menu options. I don't recall seeing this in recent times.

Just a glitch, or are we on to something here?
I think it was added when Air Berlin joined oneworld. Their flights there don't carry BA numbers, and aren't bookable (even with connections elsewhere) on ba.com, but perhaps it was just a bulk add of all the AB destinations?

Surely, STN has a good catchment area, plenty of money in Essex and particularly for premium leisure routes there must be a market for flights other than on Ryanair?
Maybe in Essex and a bit of north London, but let's face it, there isn't great demand for "premium leisure" travel from the rest of East Anglia, so I don't see any real potential. It's all just farmers, (who don't want to travel), and costa-del-cheap types (no profit there)

Last edited by Airprox; Sep 1, 2012 at 1:27 pm Reason: SPG
Old Sep 1, 2012, 1:55 pm

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
1 x DXB, 1 x LAS, 2 x TPA and 3 x MCO per day should just about cover it for long haul

Would keep most of them away from LHR/LGW. I thought about EWR/JFK but I think there are enough flights per day to dilute the effect.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 2:07 pm

BA Cityflyer should have gone and blitzed the NEW Southend - Easyjet new it made sense and are doing a good trade
Old Sep 1, 2012, 2:09 pm

Programs: BAEC, Flying Club
Originally Posted by Airprox
I think it was added when Air Berlin joined oneworld. Their flights there don't carry BA numbers, and aren't bookable (even with connections elsewhere) on ba.com, but perhaps it was just a bulk add of all the AB destinations?

Maybe in Essex and a bit of north London, but let's face it, there isn't great demand for "premium leisure" travel from the rest of East Anglia, so I don't see any real potential. It's all just farmers, (who don't want to travel), and costa-del-cheap types (no profit there)
Plenty of demand from premium leisure travel in the Cambridge area I'd have thought.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 2:14 pm

Programs: BAEC, Flying Club
Originally Posted by Betteronacamel
1 x DXB, 1 x LAS, 2 x TPA and 3 x MCO per day should just about cover it for long haul

Would keep most of them away from LHR/LGW. I thought about EWR/JFK but I think there are enough flights per day to dilute the effect.
Anything that keeps me from having to travel to LHR....hideous trip. Pre 9/11, I'd often fly from STN to AMS and thence to east coast USA. With short check in times and being only 20 minutes from the airport, the total travel time to JFK with KLM used to be less than the total trip LHR - JFK including the huge amount of time needing to be allowed for M25 possible foul ups.

Also, not having to mix with stereotype flinging SW Londoners would be a huge bonus.....
Old Sep 1, 2012, 2:20 pm

Programs: Mucci Petit Four de Pucci, RedVee's Navigator Badge, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SleeplessnearSTN
Plenty of demand from premium leisure travel in the Cambridge area I'd have thought.
Sounds a bit parochial to me!
Old Sep 1, 2012, 3:01 pm

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
Originally Posted by SleeplessnearSTN
Anything that keeps me from having to travel to LHR....hideous trip. Pre 9/11, I'd often fly from STN to AMS and thence to east coast USA. With short check in times and being only 20 minutes from the airport, the total travel time to JFK with KLM used to be less than the total trip LHR - JFK including the huge amount of time needing to be allowed for M25 possible foul ups.

Also, not having to mix with stereotype flinging SW Londoners would be a huge bonus.....
I went to STN once when flying Maxjet to JFK. What a complete PITA to get to / from for me. I do take your point though, but in your shoes I would move closer to London.

Interesting side note on my adventure at STN - Maxjet used Ryanair check-in desks and they tagged my bag as 'heavy'. The same bag I take everywhere and it never tips the scales at more than 17.5 kgs - but on these scales it was quite a bit heavier. Check-in clerk said they ignored the weights as they knew they weren't 'true'.

Re your last point - some of my best friends are from Essex....(yes, really)
Old Sep 1, 2012, 3:19 pm

I just flew Air Berlin out of STN. Quite a pleasant experience except for the lack of lounge. Took about 2 hours off my usual haul to Heathrow.

I'd love to see BA go out of STN. I'm definitely going to do Air Berlin again.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 9:51 am

I hope not, it would make me even less likely to use BA if I had to fly to Stansted then take a coach to Heathrow. It's bad enough when it's a Gatwick / Heathrow transfer, Heathrow / Stansted (or Gatwick / Stansted) would be even worse.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Personally we liked STN, during our brief period of flying MaxJet. Nice airport experience, and the MY Lounge was simply magnificent.

Unfortunately, for us, it was a total PITA to get there involving flights to LTN, o/n hotel, taxi to STN through the backwoods, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.