Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

20,000 BA Miles for £35!! (Amex Gold relaunch)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

20,000 BA Miles for £35!! (Amex Gold relaunch)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2010, 12:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, BMI, ANA, HH Blue, SPG Gold
Joined Quidco and got approval for the Gold Card. Thanks guys.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 12:29 am

Programs: Some basic level ones
Originally Posted by uk1
Me too ..... I wonder whether their automated system throws up a query if a Plat customer paying the fee or BA Amex customer asks for one of these as well?
I have both the BA and Plat Amex and my application went through fine last night. Maybe I was just lucky...

BTW - thanks Raffles / Roger for highlighting this great deal!
Old Apr 17, 2010, 1:18 am

Programs: BAEC
I already have an BA PP card and my application went through ok too.

^to the guys for flagging this up.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 1:18 am
dsf

Programs: Nowt of note.
Another BA Amex holder here who just got approved. Thanks Raffles and Roger! ^
Old Apr 17, 2010, 1:21 am
k3v

Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
Thanks for the info... Would still be telling a fib though...!

Good luck to all who can get it!

When my girlfriend tried to get a ba amex card, she was turned down due to income initially but having spoke to them on the phone they took into account our household income and gave her the card. Might be an option for you
Old Apr 17, 2010, 1:27 am

Programs: Sometimes BA, sometimes AA
Originally Posted by frankvb
Not sure about the UK rating system, but in the US it could indeed harm your credit rating. Closing a credit card is actually worse than just leaving it open and not use it....
Can you explain why you think so? It's against what I've read elsewhere which says that it's the total amount of available credit that is important.

Edit: I'm talking about the UK, are you?

I've opened and closed several credit cards over the last three years to take advantage of introductory offers and 0% interest rates, but I'm not planning on applying for a mortgage any time soon.

Will try my luck with this one.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 1:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum
I hold a BA Amex and Blue Card and have just applied through Top Cashback and been accepted. ^
Old Apr 17, 2010, 1:54 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonors Gold, Club Accorhotels Silver
Originally Posted by kryten22uk
Does applying for credit cards that you dont need (and end up cancelling after a month or two) harm your credit rating? I'd give this a go, but not keen on damaging my status.
A large number of applications could have an impact -
Your credit rating explained (BBC News)

Agencies also record a credit search every time your credit report is looked at, for instance when you apply for a loan or buy something with interest free credit. These searches stay on your credit report for up to two years.
many lenders take a negative view of a large number of credit searches in a short period.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by kryten22uk
Does applying for credit cards that you dont need (and end up cancelling after a month or two) harm your credit rating? I'd give this a go, but not keen on damaging my status.
I'm sure it's a risk, and the advice info on the credit rating companies' websites as well as moneysavingexpert.com point out that too many applications in a short time (whether successful or not) may indicate somebody in trouble and possibly a poor credit risk.

As I'm on the points accelerator* with my AmEx plat giving me 1.5 MR points per £ (which was effectively 3 BA Miles per £ for a short time), I'm giving this new opportunity a miss. £400 or so across two cards (OK, three with the grandfathered BA AmEx) could lead to diminishing returns.

* Sadly no longer available to new applicants
Old Apr 17, 2010, 2:28 am

Programs: MUCCI
Where it asks for the card numbers of any other American Express cards, should you put down your MBNA one(s)?

I don't have any Amex issued Amex cards, but do have the MBNA BMI.

[As I've put a lot through the BMI one I hope they have access to see the transaction levels/logs as it is amex network powered]
Old Apr 17, 2010, 3:30 am

Programs: Mucci (Chevalier de Sagesse), Betty Ford Alumnus, BA Gold, ScaryTeam Elite+
Thanks, Chaps! approved straight away.

I already have an ancient blue Amex card that hasn't seen use since I discovered FT and replaced it with the BA Prem card.

So far as the multiple cards / checks issue goes, mate of mine applies for (and gets) every zero-rate card out there, maxes them out buying Premium Bonds, pays them off when the 0% period is over by cashing in bonds (or tx balance to latest card).

He's never had an issue with credit checks and reckons the return you get on PBs isn't too bad right now.

Right. Now off to investigate best way to 'refer' this new card to Mrs Eyeswater! Thanks again,

Toodle Pip!
Old Apr 17, 2010, 3:37 am

Programs: Mucci (Chevalier de Sagesse), Betty Ford Alumnus, BA Gold, ScaryTeam Elite+
<deleted>

Last edited by majoreyeswater; Apr 17, 2010 at 6:14 am Reason: Double posting due to crass incompetence
Old Apr 17, 2010, 4:00 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
I just noticed another benefit on the application page - double points on grocery/petrol spend;
Originally Posted by Amex Benefits
First year bonus
Spend just like normal on the things you buy every day like groceries and petrol and as a first year bonus, you'll earn double Membership Rewards points to spend on what you want.
So in actual fact do you get 2 points per spent on;
Originally Posted by Amex T&Cs
5. You will accrue Points in addition to this for certain transactions at the rate of 1 Point for virtually every full pound charged per transaction at major supermarkets and petrol stations for your first year of cardmembership.
So using this for your weekly shopping could be extra profitable.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 4:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA EXP
Thanks for posting. I've just applied and been accepted, two days after the AA Amex application so I do hope it doesn't have too much of an impact on credit rating having lots of cards or making a number of applications!
Old Apr 17, 2010, 4:25 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat OZ Diamond SK Diamond BA Blue
Just applied and got the 10 day delay on response

Wont be an issue, will just take longer.

This after I finally got a response from Amex Card Services. No, existing Gold Amex Charge Card holders are not entitled to the new benefits, not even the ongoing benefits like double MRs on all travel spend. Their advice was to apply, receive the new card, and then consolidate existing MRs with the new.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.