Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone able to book South African

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2015, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air Krapistan Poop Points "Scooper Level"
Anyone able to book South African

I have been trying to use SAA via lifemiles with no luck. I tried many bookings but nothing. Just looking at JNB to CPT (which they 10 fly 10 times a day) and there is nothing available from Sept 20 thru Oct 20. Has anyone booked SAA lately? I am looking to use them from JFK to JNB next year.

Thanks
Old Sep 10, 2015, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Sure, recently booked a MUC-JNB on SAA in Business Class... I suspect JFK-JNB might be a great deal more difficult though...

JNB-CPT can't really be a high value award. Why not Avios on Comair?
Old Sep 10, 2015, 6:09 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, UA Premier Platinum, OneWorld Emerald, VA Platinum
Same. I've booked MUC-JNB-DUR in the past (flew last month) and I've seen LHR-JNB availability quite a bit recently.
I wouldn't think JNB-CPT would be worth the points.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

I just used JNB -CPT to test dummy bookings today and zero available. I am SJO based and there is no availability from here. In the past a routing of SJO-PTY-GRU-JNB used to appear, but no luck now.

Thanks
Old Sep 10, 2015, 7:13 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, AA Platinum, IHG Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
If you know the segments are available and you can get them to appear individually on lifemiles.com, then you should take screenshots and then email them to Lifemiles, including your name, DOB, the flights and dates, and they will manually hold the award for you. They'll then call you for payment details.

If the segments don't show up at all, well, I've never tried to proceed in that case, but I would email them if the segments are showing up on UA or AC but not AV's site.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 4:25 am

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
I was looking at PER<>JNB. Nothing shows up regardless of search parameters. Availability is there on united.com. So I guess no screenshot = no manual booking.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 10:27 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Definitely something wrong with SA availability on LifeMiles.

It is highly improbable that UA is showing phantom availability on multiple routes (even those that usually have some seats most of the time) and both classes.

Unfortunately these days you can't even check up on availability on their native FFP because every seat is available for redemption - at a price.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

I just ran more searches today. Nothing. Can anyone report a South African booking in the last 2 weeks?
Old Sep 28, 2015, 7:56 am

Programs: QF PS and spouse of QP Senior Lifer PS, UA, AA, DL, AS, AV
Originally Posted by nydave
I have been trying to use SAA via lifemiles with no luck. I tried many bookings but nothing. Just looking at JNB to CPT (which they 10 fly 10 times a day) and there is nothing available from Sept 20 thru Oct 20. Has anyone booked SAA lately? I am looking to use them from JFK to JNB next year.

Thanks
I agree nothing on SA. But there is JFK-CAI and CAI-JNB availability on MS (as two separate rewards only - maybe the CAI connection is over 8 hours).
Old Oct 11, 2015, 8:25 am

No availability on SAA using LifeMiles right now. I had to book an SA award using UA miles instead and it ticketed fine, so it was not phantom inventory.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

I checked 2 days ago and still nothing. Should I attempt to get in touch with Lifemiles and ask?
Old Oct 11, 2015, 1:32 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
I can see flights on SAA from GRU to JNB, just having a quick look

Nov 11 in C on SA223
Three more flights on the same day on SA235 after connecting to LHR on LH

Nov 10 in C on SA223

Nov 10 in Y on SA223

Nov 11 in Y on SA204 after connecting to NYC on UA

Nov 12 in Y on SA204 after connecting to NYC on UA
Old Oct 12, 2015, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

That is great news, thanks.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 1:45 pm

Programs: VA Plat, TK E, HH Dia, IHG Gold
I booked PER-JNB-GRU in J x 3 at Xmas. Haven't attempted to book anything since then though.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 8:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Bronze, TK Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, Fairmont Premiere, IHG Ambas
Adding a datapoint to this:

I see 2 seats on SAA that are available on UA, AP and ANA, but of course they aren't showing up on LM. I've now written to LM support will see where it goes. This seems like another silent devaluation by LM, between the lack of mixed cabin awards, no LH F, no long connections and now this, it is just so risky with LM. Quite disappointing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.