Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone able to book South African

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2015, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Bronze, TK Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, Fairmont Premiere, IHG Ambas
Originally Posted by TopGunner
Adding a datapoint to this:

I see 2 seats on SAA that are available on UA, AP and ANA, but of course they aren't showing up on LM. I've now written to LM support will see where it goes. This seems like another silent devaluation by LM, between the lack of mixed cabin awards, no LH F, no long connections and now this, it is just so risky with LM. Quite disappointing.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 4:12 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Another LM "kinks"? SA flies AUH-JNB but I can't enter AUH as a destination. Seems like AUH is not a valid destination for SA and when I put in all airlines, AUH-JNB is not available (I've verified availability with UA and EF). Any get around to this? Thanks!
Old Dec 14, 2015, 4:25 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, AA Platinum, IHG Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by nov11
Another LM "kinks"? SA flies AUH-JNB but I can't enter AUH as a destination. Seems like AUH is not a valid destination for SA and when I put in all airlines, AUH-JNB is not available (I've verified availability with UA and EF). Any get around to this? Thanks!
Have you tried searching with SmartSearch mode rather than picking SA? If that doesn't work I'd call them or send them an email right away.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 10:20 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Originally Posted by AwardBee
Have you tried searching with SmartSearch mode rather than picking SA? If that doesn't work I'd call them or send them an email right away.
Thank you. Tried that and doesn't work. Seems like AUH-JNB doesn't exist on LM.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by nov11
Thank you. Tried that and doesn't work. Seems like AUH-JNB doesn't exist on LM.
Even on a route like CPT-JNB, there is nothing available with Lifemiles, so it seems that SAA is generally not bookable with Lifemiles, probably the link is broken (with or without intention) like it was with Copa last year for some time. Hopefully we'll get it back soon.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
No problem booking JNBLON in I class
Old Dec 20, 2015, 6:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
when you say not able to book, what exactly do you mean?
1)No availability found for your route.
2)Availability found for your route but errors when you select the route, before you enter the traveler details and CCard information.
3)Availability found for your route but errors after you enter the traveler details and CCard information.

Possible solutions;
1)No I-bucket availability. Check with aeroplan, ANA or united to see if there is actual award space.
2) Possibly phantom availability on LM. Double-check aeroplan, ANA or united.
3) Assuming you have the PNR (record locator) before the error screen, try to ticket via calling lifemiles helpdesk.

FYI, availability on tough routes (ATL-JNB, JNB-LHR, JNB-HKG) is sporadic but there...
Old Dec 21, 2015, 1:27 am

I was referring to SAA award space available elsewhere (on AC/UA) but not on Lifemiles, hence not bookable with Lifemiles.

On JNB-LHR, I find available SAA flights shown on AC (for example: Eco 07FEB, 08FEB, 09FEB, 10FEB), but none on Lifemiles. On a trunk route like JNB-CPT it's even more obvious: Plenty avail shown on AC for most days, but nothing on Lifemiles.

NH doesn't show any of this SAA availibility shown by AC/UA either. So this may be not a problem of Lifemiles alone?
Old Jan 4, 2016, 2:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Bronze, TK Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, Fairmont Premiere, IHG Ambas
Definitely something broken between LM and SAA seats. Generally SAA makes seats available to all STARNET members without discrimination. They do have revenue redemption for their own program, but it hasn't impacted X,I availability Star alliance programs.

I have never heard of SAA charging different rates for redemption routes such that LM might decide to block them, but in any case it would be silly to allow LHR-JNB, IAD-JNB, JFK-JNB, MUC-JNB and then block CPT-JNB or JNB-PER. It seems its a system limitation or some quality programming brought to you by LM.

What's frustrating is that there is nobody you can reach out to that could actually give you a straight answer why or why not, it's almost worse than DL who at least tell you that they are going to screw you.

Even with their great sales, the cost of awards and limitations on redemptions means they are no better than MSing for UA miles or even AP, despite those programs' recent devaluations. At least you can use them where there is availability.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.