Taipei or Kuala Lumpur For Short Tourist Stay

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2005, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Taipei or Kuala Lumpur For Short Tourist Stay

Hi All,

I hope you can offer some guidance for me. I will be in Asia from October 11 to October 17. Right now, I am arriving in SIN from LHR at 8 AM on October 11 and am leaving from HKG to LAX on late evening of October 17. As of now, I am planning on spending the nights of the 11th - 13th in Singapore (where I've never been) and am scheduled to fly from SIN to HKG in F on CX on October 14 (the only F flight offered all week and I am on an F award ticket). My only requirement is that I be in Hong Kong for the nioght of October 16 (no specific time) so that I can spend all day on the 17th in Hong Kong (it's become an annual tradition to spend a day in Hong Kong and I don't want to pass it up).

Within these constraints, I've worked out a few options:

1. Change my CX SIN-HKG flight to the 16th (thus loosing First Class) and fly from SIN to KUL on the 14th (on SQ in F -- I know it's not true international F, but will get me into the SQ F lounge in SIN and is really cheap), spend the nights of the 14th and 15th in KUL at either the Westin or Sheraton and fly back to SIN on the 16th (using MH to sample its F lounge) in time to catch the late CX flight to HKG (in J).

2. Fly to HKG in F on CX on the 14th as scheduled and fly onward to TPE the next morning on CX in F or J (depending on the price difference), spend the night of the 15th in TPE (Westin or Sheraton) and fly back to HKG on the evening of the 16th.

Basically, is 2 nights (and one full day) in KUL worth giving-up CX F (which I've flown many times) or is there not enough to do in KUL to make it worth it? Also, is there enough to see in TPE as a tourist to make it worth a one night stay?

I have not been to either KUL or TPE, as you probably guessed.

Thanks!
Old Jul 19, 2005, 7:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt GP, SPG, HHonor, Asia Miles
Originally Posted by PresRDC
Hi All,

2. Fly to HKG in F on CX on the 14th as scheduled and fly onward to TPE the next morning on CX in F or J (depending on the price difference), spend the night of the 15th in TPE (Westin or Sheraton) and fly back to HKG on the evening of the 16th.

Basically, is 2 nights (and one full day) in KUL worth giving-up CX F (which I've flown many times) or is there not enough to do in KUL to make it worth it? Also, is there enough to see in TPE as a tourist to make it worth a one night stay?

I have not been to either KUL or TPE, as you probably guessed.

Thanks!
PresRDC:

If you do wish to stop in TPE, I will suggest staying at the Sheraton as its only 5 stops away (on the same MRT line) from the T101 building and the shopping areas at Shinyi district.

2 stops to the other direction will put you in the Shimending district, where a pedestrian mall is located.

PM me if I can be of any further help...
Old Jul 19, 2005, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP UA 2KMM AMB
1. Change my CX SIN-HKG flight to the 16th (thus loosing First Class) and fly from SIN to KUL on the 14th (on SQ in F -- I know it's not true international F, but will get me into the SQ F lounge in SIN and is really cheap), spend the nights of the 14th and 15th in KUL at either the Westin or Sheraton and fly back to SIN on the 16th (using MH to sample its F lounge) in time to catch the late CX flight to HKG (in J).

You know PresRDC I did exactly what you are planning to do in option 1, last May, to sample a little bit of both SQ (although I was already in F from PDX) and MH and the nice lounge access and amenities associated with the F ticket . It was so much fun, since the F lounges for both SQ and MH at their home bases are both so nice. Definitely considering to do this quick hop to KUL again when I get back to SIN in the future. Also, back to the decision in choosing between the two cities, for the city of Kuala Lumpur, two days I think would suffice to explore the area. It was enough for me since I did mostly shopping. I don't know about Taipei, but Kuala Lumpur is also very accessible from KUL. Easy, hassle free transfer using the KLIA Ekspres Train. Also, I imagine, you'll get more for your money in terms of hotel experiences for the rates at Kuala Lumpur are very inexpensive. I stayed at Sheraton, which was nice, but I was more impressed with the newer Crowne Plaza Mutiara which was almost half what I paid with the Sheraton. So yes for the F lounges with both SQ and MH alone I would choose this option . And of course, I had a great time at Kuala Lumpur as well.
Old Jul 19, 2005, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by PresRDC
Can't say anything about KUL other than I have heard the opposite. I have been told it's very nice there and quite interesting.

Taipei, imo, is a two day city and no more. I really didn't get much out of my visit there with a few exceptions and I have found many, many more interesting things in Asia. But there is enough for two days without a doubt. One of those days must be the National Palace Museum. It's a bit of a hike (Taipei is very big) but worth the time and cost. It's actually a sore point between the mainland and Taipei because the mainland wants the pieces back. But it's the single biggest museum on China in the world. The pieces have quite a history if you do a google search. There is also a large night called Shilin which is interesting though if youre in Singapore and Hong Kong then you might be marketed out. BEWARE OF STINKY TOFU!!!! Consider yourself warned. Finally, there are quite a number of interesting temples in the city.

As I said, I didn't feel that it required much more than a couple of days. I enjoyed Beijing, Hong Kong, and Singapore more in general. But the National Museum is worth the trip, imo.

As a side note, make sure to get the the National Orchid Garden in Singapore.
Old Jul 20, 2005, 8:22 am

Greetings from KL! This city is a little short on Attractions with a capital A, but the overall atmosphere makes up for it: it's a happy mix of Asian vibrance, chaos and grrrreat food with modern infrastructure, hygiene standards and gargantuan shopping malls, without veering all the way into the identikit modern sterility of a Singapore or Dubai. And KL's 5-star hotels are some of the best value on the planet, scout your deals well and you can get into any place in the city for under US$100. All in all, it's one of my favorite cities in Asia ^
Old Jul 21, 2005, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'll also put in my recommendation for KUL. Really fabulous food, very good public transportation, good shopping, very cheap, and lots of green spaces to boot. Don't miss Chinatown, Little India, the Bukit Bintang walk (and Jalan Alor for dinner), and the malls.

I recommend either the Hilton or Meridien at KL Sentral -- right across the street from where the Airport Ekspress brings you into the city. Hilton is the very hip new place and it's always buzzing, while Le Meridien is quiet and easygoing.
Old Jul 22, 2005, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Thanks for all the help folks. Much appreciated.

KL looks great, but I think it may warrant more than one full day. Seeing as I will have been in SIN just before the KL trip, I think TPE will be more different and, it sounds, better suited for a short trip.

That said, I do think I will fly a quick RT in F from SIN to KUL just for the fun of it. Cheap to do and I do enjoy flying. It will be the first tiem I've ever taken a flight just for the sake of taking a flight (in other words, not to go anywhere and not for the miles). Should be interesting.
Old Jul 22, 2005, 3:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
KUL is great!

If you ever have the chance, make a stop.

Great food, interesting atmosphere, a few things to see and do.
Old Jul 23, 2005, 3:30 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

First, I could not help you to decide if it is worth to give up a first class ticket on SQ. I have been in both cities last year and you could not compare them.

If you like to shop, Kuala Lumpur should be your first choice. There are also several museums and other points of interest. I have on my homepage a report of my stay (four days) in Kuala Lumpur in October 2004

Taipei is a city which has not such a fast development like Kuala Lumpur, what means the taller building are not as modern as some of them in KL. There is the Palace Museum which Chinese artefacts a little bit outside and some nice temple (on the UNESCO list). The building is undergoing renovation, but it should be open. Taipei 101,. which is open to public now is a landmark and at least to me a reason to travel there. More information is again in my trip report about Taipei on my homepage.

Both cities have not a big number of museums, but both are worth a visit. I would opt for Taipei but only, as 101 is open now.

Jan
Old Jul 24, 2005, 1:53 pm

First, business class on SQ, CX is fine and don't worry about losing your F status if you want to be efficient on time. Only long flight (4 hrs) is Sin/HK or Sin/Tpe.

Second - they are all good visits, depends what you want to do? Shop, culture, monger, what? Tell me more re what you like and I'll pm you with some suggestions....

FYI, i do almost every country in asia except japan 3 or 4 times are year for past 25 yrs, plus lived in 4 of them....so let me know what you're looking to do.
Old Jul 25, 2005, 1:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: ANA PLAT,CI GOLD,LH SEN,Hyatt Gold.
Taipei has stacks of really good hotels and places to go and see. They are making huge efforts for tourists now compared to say a few years ago and you can get a lot of help and info from the internet. I spend half my life in Taiwan so PM me if you need some help

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.