Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Around Saigon - Cu Chi Tunnels or Mekong Delta?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2005, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Will be going with the wife to Ho Chi Minh in a few weeks, but unfortunately only have 1.5 days to see the city and surrounding sights.

We get in early afternoon on Friday, so I figured we'd explore the city then, and use Saturday for a day trip to either Cu Chi Tunnels or the Mekong Delta. Yet we go back and forth on which would be better. Think we're leaning towards the Mekong, but have had a few people say not to miss Cu Chi.

Early Sunday we leave for Angkor Wat, so can't extend the stay to do both...

For those who have been, which did you find to be a better travel experience?

Thanks!
Old Jul 16, 2005, 1:57 pm

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
I'm in almost the same situation, but I have two full days. I will definitely do the tunnels, as I've read you can leave around 8:00 AM and be back in the city by 1:00 if you use one of the tours. I suspect you could cut the time even more by hiring a driver/taxi to take you there and back so you're not at the whims of a tour group.

I'm also interested in what one wears when visiting the tunnels. If you end up crawling some/all sections, I guess you could get pretty grubby.
Old Jul 16, 2005, 3:20 pm

I have done both and would give the nod to the Cu Chi Tunnels. You could also go to Thay Ninh and see the Cao Dai temple there. Hiring a driver would absolutely cut down on the time.
Like everything else, though, it depends on what you like. The Mekong Delta is pretty, though not much different from some other places in the region. I did a tour for the Mekong Delta. Nothing too exciting in my opinion. Made more memories at the tunnels and the temple.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 3:36 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,
Originally Posted by Chapel Hill Guy
I'm also interested in what one wears when visiting the tunnels. If you end up crawling some/all sections, I guess you could get pretty grubby.
You can/do get quite grubby, especially if it rains. Don't wear shorts !.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 4:32 pm

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by MAN Flyer
You can/do get quite grubby, especially if it rains. Don't wear shorts !.
Given that I'll be there at the end of September, smack in the middle of the monsoon season, pretty likey to get some rain. Given my minimalist packing habits, I might just skip it. Thanks for the information.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 8:03 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1mm, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Delta or CuChi?

I did both on my first trip to SGN. When I returned 10 mos. later I went back to the Delta. The Delta has been the highlight of both my trips. You really need more than one day to do the Delta justice. A one day trip would be a long day but rewarding. Cu Chi is a very easy one day trip with time left over for shopping or more sightseeing in Saigon. However, I would still pick the Delta.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 8:21 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
I lived in Phnom Penh for one year (mid-92 to mid-93) and visited HCM many times. Do the tunnels!

PS Angkor Wat is amazing! Hope you have allowed more than one day!

PPS Eat well in Vietnam. Cambodian food (outside of 4*/5* hotels) is somewhat lacking in quality.
--
13F

Last edited by Seat13F_AC_CRJ; Jul 18, 2005 at 8:27 pm
Old Jul 18, 2005, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by Seat13F_AC_CRJ
I lived in Phnom Penh for one year (mid-92 to mid-93) and visited HCM many times. Do the tunnels!

PS Angkor Wat is amazing! Hope you have allowed more than one day!

PPS Eat well in Vietnam. Cambodian food (outside of 4*/5* hotels) is somewhat lacking in quality.
--
13F
By all means check to see if the Hotel de la Paix is open in Siem Reap. They have one of the best chef's in Asia. Also, have a drink at Linga Bar nearby. Nice upscale lounge that happens to be owned by my brother-in-law!
Old Jul 20, 2005, 12:05 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the input guys...still trying to decide...wish I had an extra day but wanted to squeeze Cambodia into the trip as well.
Old Jul 20, 2005, 12:27 am
Community Director Emerita

As an earlier poster has said, be sure to do the temple with the tunnel. The temple was extraordinary - all these people in colorful garb practicing their religion. I don't even remember the name of the faith, but it is quite unlike anything else I have ever seen. The church/temple/hall is spectacular. Then the people arrive in all their different outfits, denoting their status in the church. You can sit in a tiny balcony overlooking it.

I did the Mekong Delta as well, and prefer the combo temple/Cu Chi tunnel. The propaganda film at the tunnel is a fascinating spin on how each of us look at world events depending on our nationality.
Old Jul 26, 2005, 10:15 pm

i did both too. and would probably pick the tunnels (though I was actually a little too big to fit into them).

by the way there is an option of doing the delta on the way to cambodia. a bunch of the tourist places do it. One is sinh cafe www.sinhcafevn.com It could cut off some time.

please note that if you are going to cambodia to do angor wat, you need nearly 3 full days. And travel there ain't easy which means you basically need 4 nights. That includes one night after you arrive (it's hard to arrive early in the day there) and unless you can find a post 6 p.m. plane out another night after your final temple visit before catching the morning plane/boat or whatever.

there's lots to see. temples are fairly spaced out and there is a lot of climbing. You will be unhappy-- make that miserable-- if you spend much less than 2 1/2 days there and it is incredibly hot, which means you'll need lots of rest.

so if you are going to go there in figuring the time in Vietnam BE REALISTIC. There's a lot to see in Vietnam, but if you're heading to Angor, don't give your time there short shrift to do it. The real answer to your Vietnam question if you're planning to go to angor and don't have enough time for it, the right answer is NEITHER VIETNAM TOUR!!!

by the way, I faced this same choice several years ago and gave up. I did cambodia and a little of thailand in one trip. And then went back to do Vietnam in a second trip. I got into a situation where if i went to vietnam from cambodia, I'd only have a day or two and decided not to drive myself nuts . ... ok ... further nuts

Last edited by MrAOK; Jul 26, 2005 at 10:21 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.