Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Jakarta (CGK) - the ultimate Q&A thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2004, 3:20 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by oontiveros
Also, you going to be there Oct 20s?
Unfortunately not, I will not be back in Jakarta until 2005.
Old Oct 8, 2004, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by wazirmh
What do you recommend the places worth visiting for a family with small kids (toddlers) in or around Jakarta for a2 or 3 night stay? Any ideas?
Hmmmm.... this is a tough one. Apart from shopping malls and Ancol.... I cant think of much else. Im not sure Jakarta has much of a Zoo... but I will see if I can check.
Old Oct 20, 2004, 6:20 pm

Jakarta in One Day

What would you do, if you had just one full day in Jakarta (arriving on a Monday night and leaving early morning Wednesday) and you'd never been to Jakarta before? Are there things that are must-do's to get a feel for Jakarta living? Any restaurants particularly commendable for its Indonesian cooking? (I'll be with my brother, taking advantage of cheap CX fares ex-SIN.)

By the way, is there a Starbucks close to the Gran Melia Jakarta? I'm also seeking to complete my collection of Starbucks coffee mugs from the capital cities of the original ASEAN members.
Old Oct 21, 2004, 3:32 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire Ambassador, Qatar Gold, Etihad Gold, TK Gold, BA Silver, Emirates Silver
if anyone cares...I just arrived in CGK and will be here for a week. Beers anyone? PM me if you can.
Old Nov 16, 2004, 8:28 am

Programs: SQ TPP28, CX DM, DL P, GA CB, WOH LGLOB, HH D, MB G, Hertz P
Thumbs up

Just found this thread...
I had no idea Gaucho100K knows so much about Jakarta, almost putting me to shame.

jjpb3: There is a Starbucks at Setiabudi Building, on the same street as Gran Melia, about five minutes by a taxi. I haven't been to that building recently, but heard that plenty of new food outlets opened there.

wazirmh: I am sorry to say that there is not much family thing can be done in Jakarta. There is a 'Sea World' in Ancol. The local zoo at Ragunan is not recommended.

The Dharmawangsa hotel is highly recommended, although a bit far from the city center. About 30 minutes drive at regular traffic from Grand Hyatt (city center). It has a very resort-style feel.

Recommended local Indonesian food:
- The Jakarta restaurant at The Dharmawangsa.
- Sedap Malam & Pondok Laguna (both serving seafood) - really local taste - near the Presidential Palace
- The Oasis restaurant near Menteng

I am now subscribing to this thread as well and would try my best to answer any questions.
Old Nov 28, 2004, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Excellent!!! With StarG also being part of this thread.... Im sure we will be able to answer almost everything there is to ask about Jakarta!!! ^

Some of my favorite Chinese food places in Jakarta are:

Crystal Jade
Dining Palace

StagG, can you please help me with the addresses...? I always have a driver take me there so Im kinda lost in terms of giving directions...
Old Nov 28, 2004, 1:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by oontiveros
if anyone cares...I just arrived in CGK and will be here for a week. Beers anyone? PM me if you can.
I arrive on Saturday 4 Dec. I will be lodged at the Shangri-La.

Cheers,

Z
Old Nov 28, 2004, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Excellent!!! With StarG also being part of this thread.... Im sure we will be able to answer almost everything there is to ask about Jakarta!!! ^

Some of my favorite Chinese food places in Jakarta are:

Crystal Jade
Dining Palace

StagG, can you please help me with the addresses...? I always have a driver take me there so Im kinda lost in terms of giving directions...
Which Crystal Jade are you talking about?
- Crystal Jade Restaurant: at BNI 46 building next to Shangri-la Hotel, Ground Floor, Jalan Jendral Sudirman, Jakarta.
- Crystal Jade La Mian Restaurant: at Plaza Indonesia Ground Floor.
- Crystal Jade Kitchen Restaurant: at Plaza Indonesia EX (Entertainment X'nter) Ground Floor.

All among my favorite Chinese restaurant in Jakarta. Crystal Jade also have outlets in Singapore (Ngee Ann City Shopping Centre) and Hong Kong (Time Square Mall in Causeway Bay). Be prepared to wait for your table at lunch/dinner time.

Dining Palace is at Dharmawangsa Square in South Jakarta, top level (IIRC).

Old Nov 28, 2004, 11:32 pm

I live in Jakarta.

Most hotels are family friendly, with good pools. Its traditional here for families to go on holiday to 5 star hotels in the city when the maids are on holiday. To do for small kids? There is a book "Jakarta for the under five's" available at bookshops here.

There's a sea world and amusement park up at Ancol, and "taman mini indonesia" down in south JKT (mini Indonesia theme park) They keep my 3 year old nephew happy when he comes to visit.

Caritas has OK beaches, and is near the city.

For those asking for "interesting stuff" the hot/ trendy bars are constantly changing (Blowfish is so last year darling...) Meat market bars don't change so much (BATS at Shangri La, Tiga Buluh at Meridian, anywhere in Blok M in decending order of seediness and price)

Ratu Plaza has the DVD/CD/Electronics in a down town location, and air conditioned.

Personally, think all Crystal Jade outlets is mediocre to poor. Halal yum cha? Ah Yat Abalone is more Hong Kong taste/ style. YVMV

Indonesian food - hah there is no such thing! Some of the better ones we have found:

Warung Daun for Sunda
Beautika for Manado (or Chamoe Chamoe for less spicy version)
Sari Bundo II for Padang
Soto Pak Sadi for East Javanese (though, still not that great)
Sogo food courts have good casual food (nasi liwet/gudeg/udak, different types of soto etc.) And Sogo's Warung Kopi is also a good take on sanitised street food, - the beef rib soup and ayam penyet are very good!

Dharmawangsa has good "up market" food court Lesehan. Buffet at special occasions has good local foods (e.g. idul fitri buffet)
Bengawan Solo (Hotel Sahid Jaya) for Rijstaffel, but a cheesy 70's atmosphere, that can be fun if in the mood
Hotel Borubudor for sop buntut
Marriott hotel for best hotel buffet (all kinds of food)

There are some very good Japanese & Korean places. No decent Thai food. Riva and Dharmawangsa the best western "fine dining"

All the above, in my opinion!

If you ever go to Malang, Hotel Tugu Park has excellent local food (East Javanese) They (the Tugu group) are opening a "nonya" restaurant in JKT soon (Dapur Babah), which, if nothing else, will be beautifully furnished. Will let you know.

Last edited by peasant; Nov 28, 2004 at 11:55 pm
Old Nov 29, 2004, 2:06 am

Wow ... lots of info from peasant.
Thanks. I would try some of them myself.
Are you an expatriate living here or are you a local? A little curious since you put "China" as your location.

Ah Yatt does have very good Dim Sum.
Maybe you are a little elaborate in saying Carita being 'near' the city?
Agree wholeheartedly that there is no decent Thai food in town.

Have you tried Java Bleu in Fatmawati for French?
Highly recommended, although don't expect much on ambience.

There is a good nonya food in Pondok Indah called Mirah Delima, just opposite Pondok Indah Hospital.

Last edited by StarG; Nov 29, 2004 at 5:01 am Reason: Grammar
Old Nov 29, 2004, 3:34 am

StarG,

I'm expat, but my wife is Indonesian, but not from Jakarta.

No, I haven't tried Java Bleu, will give it a go, thanks. Have been going to Koi for casual good french food.

Maybe we can have lunch sometime? Think you can PM me...
Old Nov 29, 2004, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Java Bleu is indeed EXCELLENT... ^

Make sure you say hello to Chef Antoine... its good to have the owner of the circus himself cooking in the kitchen...
Old Dec 1, 2004, 11:14 am

Programs: DL PM, .6MM; AA Plat; Marriott Platinum Premier
ada High-speed Internet access?

In Jakarta presently... so, I figured out how to get connected through my in-laws' dial-up connection, but this is a less-than-optimal situation as the local phone company and their ISP both charge a FORTUNE for time spent online. Does anybody know somewhere that I can either plug my laptop into a high-speed ethernet connection to the Internet or where I can get reliable Wi-Fi access? In Kuala Lumpur airport, there were 2 seperate providers of Wi-Fi which appeared to have operations throughout Malaysia, so I was hoping that perhaps there is a provider with hotspots in Indo. Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 1, 2004, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nd_eric_77
In Jakarta presently... so, I figured out how to get connected through my in-laws' dial-up connection, but this is a less-than-optimal situation as the local phone company and their ISP both charge a FORTUNE for time spent online. Does anybody know somewhere that I can either plug my laptop into a high-speed ethernet connection to the Internet or where I can get reliable Wi-Fi access? In Kuala Lumpur airport, there were 2 seperate providers of Wi-Fi which appeared to have operations throughout Malaysia, so I was hoping that perhaps there is a provider with hotspots in Indo. Thanks in advance.
I suggest using the business center facilites at the InterContinental MidPlaza. Its not cheap, but its reasonably good service and you can either plug into their network or use the wireless access. Just buy one of their prepaid cards and you are good to go.
Old Dec 1, 2004, 6:55 pm

I have not use these services myself, but I know that Starbucks Plaza Indonesia (maybe all Starbucks but I am not sure) and California Pizza Kitchen Plaza Indonesia both have Wi Fi service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.