Recommended Driver in Siem Reap/Angkor Cambodia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Recommended Driver in Siem Reap/Angkor Cambodia

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2016, 11:45 pm

Polite, fair and fun driver

We spent 3 days with Synon driving around Siem Reap and enjoyed a lot this time... He was so helpful all time even taking care of our Anthony who refused to visit the temples... Always on time to pick us at the hotel or the places we agreed to meet, always refreshing us with cold water or the powerful cold towels... And the most nice of it, an authentic smile always in his face! Thanks Synon for wonderful days in Siem Reap,.. Highly recommend this driver
Old Aug 13, 2016, 11:47 pm

...in addition!

He has now a new Lexus SUV which is very comfortable, he can also arrange tuk tuk if you would prefer so!
Old Aug 14, 2016, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by Maribel Ricupero Nilsson
He has now a new Lexus SUV which is very comfortable, he can also arrange tuk tuk if you would prefer so!
^
Old Aug 14, 2016, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
....he can also arrange tuk tuk if you would prefer so!
There might be more tuk tuks than mosquitoes* in REP, why would anyone need his help to hire one?

*Not that anyone is aware of how many mosquitoes, nor of which genus, are present since catching them in the area is very much off limits and grounds for any research organization to lose their ability to operate in country.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 7:47 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Yes, you can probably walk out of your hotel and hold up your hand and arrange a tuk tuk around the temples for the day in about thirty seconds.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by dsquared37
There might be more tuk tuks than mosquitoes* in REP, why would anyone need his help to hire one?

*Not that anyone is aware of how many mosquitoes, nor of which genus, are present since catching them in the area is very much off limits and grounds for any research organization to lose their ability to operate in country.
Originally Posted by jphripjah
Yes, you can probably walk out of your hotel and hold up your hand and arrange a tuk tuk around the temples for the day in about thirty seconds.
Completely agree with both of you.

IMO, The purpose of this thread is really to help travelers with a known and dependable driver (whether its an SUV or whatever) in a foreign country.
To that effect, Synon has been simply awesome based on the reports we hear in this thread.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 9:36 pm

We spent 3 days with Synon driving around Siem Reap and enjoyed a lot this time... He was so helpful all time even taking care of our Anthony who refused to visit the temples... Always on time to pick us at the hotel or the places we agreed to meet, always refreshing us with cold water or the powerful cold towels... And the most nice of it, an authentic smile always in his face! Thanks Synon for wonderful days in Siem Reap,.. Highly recommend this driver
Belated...but, welcome to FT and thanks for posting your experience here!
^
Old Aug 16, 2016, 2:36 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by ft4lyf
To that effect, Synon has been simply awesome based on the reports we hear in this thread.
That's fair. Some people (on a % basis very few) have had negative experiences with "random" tuk tuk drivers. I'd say getting a known, recommended driver to visit temples is a luxury and not the necessity it might be in other places. But for first timers who want a guaranteed, no hassle experience, not a bad idea.

I highly recommend that anyone with access to a car and an extra day visit Beng Mealea temple.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
That's fair. Some people (on a % basis very few) have had negative experiences with "random" tuk tuk drivers. I'd say getting a known, recommended driver to visit temples is a luxury and not the necessity it might be in other places. But for first timers who want a guaranteed, no hassle experience, not a bad idea.

I highly recommend that anyone with access to a car and an extra day visit Beng Mealea temple.
Yes, there are lazy drivers wanting nothing more than a quick drive and fat payday, just as there are crappy guides and, let's face it, in an area with little education and lots of money in the form of tourism everyone and their uncle is trying to feed off the flow, regardless of their ability or penchant to serve.

I've had a great tuk tuk driver in REP for years but I might have lost touch with him sadly.

Beng Melea is a great temple - thrilled to have the opportunity to have been there in 2005 - and can be combined with Preah Vihear on a full day tour. It's possible, if driver is willing, to also hit Koh Ker, but it requires an early start out of Siem Reap and limited time to wander Koh Ker.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37
Yes, there are lazy drivers wanting nothing more than a quick drive and fat payday, just as there are crappy guides and, let's face it, in an area with little education and lots of money in the form of tourism everyone and their uncle is trying to feed off the flow, regardless of their ability or penchant to serve.

I've had a great tuk tuk driver in REP for years but I might have lost touch with him sadly.

Beng Melea is a great temple - thrilled to have the opportunity to have been there in 2005 - and can be combined with Preah Vihear on a full day tour. It's possible, if driver is willing, to also hit Koh Ker, but it requires an early start out of Siem Reap and limited time to wander Koh Ker.

^^
Old Aug 23, 2016, 11:34 am

I had already booked Synon as my driver for a three day trip before I saw this thread. I had just found him randomly online while searching for a driver in Siam Reap.

I will give him another glowing recommendation. We had a group of four people, and we all fit easily in his Lexus SUV. He was friendly, always on time, knew a ton about the temples, and had great recommendations. His English was perfect, and he wasn't pushy about offering up recommendations for other attractions. We had him choose lunch for us on two of our days, and both places were fantastic, clean, and cheap.

If I return to Siem Reap in the near future, I would use Synon again.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by TravelMutt
I had already booked Synon as my driver for a three day trip before I saw this thread. I had just found him randomly online while searching for a driver in Siam Reap.

I will give him another glowing recommendation. We had a group of four people, and we all fit easily in his Lexus SUV. He was friendly, always on time, knew a ton about the temples, and had great recommendations. His English was perfect, and he wasn't pushy about offering up recommendations for other attractions. We had him choose lunch for us on two of our days, and both places were fantastic, clean, and cheap.

If I return to Siem Reap in the near future, I would use Synon again.
wow great!
Old Oct 2, 2016, 9:52 pm

Programs: UA 1k; HH, Hyatt Globalist
Another positive review for Synon. I just returned and had him drive us for a day, pick up/drop off at airport. He was safe, very helpful in our touring, offering some suggestions (as stated he's a driver, not a tour guide, but does have good general insight), spoke English well, very prompt on returning emails, always had a cold water and cool towel when we returned to his Lexus (we also asked him why Siem Reap had so many RX's and he said the Chinese love them so all the drivers get them). I'd use his services again and like others here, recommend him for anybody visiting Siem Reap.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 4:36 am

Originally Posted by GreekDeno
Another positive review for Synon. I just returned and had him drive us for a day, pick up/drop off at airport. He was safe, very helpful in our touring, offering some suggestions (as stated he's a driver, not a tour guide, but does have good general insight), spoke English well, very prompt on returning emails, always had a cold water and cool towel when we returned to his Lexus (we also asked him why Siem Reap had so many RX's and he said the Chinese love them so all the drivers get them). I'd use his services again and like others here, recommend him for anybody visiting Siem Reap.
So happy to hear this!
Old Oct 6, 2016, 2:37 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro 1.4M, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
We just returned from Siem Reap and Synon was our driver. He was polite, on time, knowledgable and really liked meeting new people from 'flyertalk.'
We will use him again on our next trip to Siem Reap.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.