FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Recommended Driver in Siem Reap/Angkor Cambodia
Old Aug 16, 2016, 5:10 am
dsquared37
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by jphripjah
That's fair. Some people (on a % basis very few) have had negative experiences with "random" tuk tuk drivers. I'd say getting a known, recommended driver to visit temples is a luxury and not the necessity it might be in other places. But for first timers who want a guaranteed, no hassle experience, not a bad idea.

I highly recommend that anyone with access to a car and an extra day visit Beng Mealea temple.
Yes, there are lazy drivers wanting nothing more than a quick drive and fat payday, just as there are crappy guides and, let's face it, in an area with little education and lots of money in the form of tourism everyone and their uncle is trying to feed off the flow, regardless of their ability or penchant to serve.

I've had a great tuk tuk driver in REP for years but I might have lost touch with him sadly.

Beng Melea is a great temple - thrilled to have the opportunity to have been there in 2005 - and can be combined with Preah Vihear on a full day tour. It's possible, if driver is willing, to also hit Koh Ker, but it requires an early start out of Siem Reap and limited time to wander Koh Ker.