Recommended Driver in Siem Reap/Angkor Cambodia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Recommended Driver in Siem Reap/Angkor Cambodia

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2015, 1:30 am
aau

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA MM Gold, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Plat, IHG Ambassador
I hired Synon as a driver for my trip to Siem Reap Thanksgiving week, and would recommend him to anyone. I paid $30 for the day touring the Angkor Wat area temples, $75 the next day for sites further afield from Siem Reap (Banteay Srei, etc), plus $7 each way for transport to/from airport and Le Meridien hotel. I contacted Synon via his gmail address about a week before the trip. The only weird thing is he did not confirm after I sent him my arrival info, so exited REP airport unsure of what would happen next, but he was there waiting for me. Synon is trying to become a full-time driver for-hire (and also trying to buy a Lexus SUV or Toyota Highlander), so he wants to get as many Flyertalker bookings as he can accommodate.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 6:21 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
I was thinking that running rate per day was $40. Is is now already $75?

Could anybody recommend a car/driver for $40 to visit Benteay Srei and Beng Mealea?
Old Dec 7, 2015, 8:12 am

Beng Mealea was $60 several years ago when I visited. That one is really far out.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 1:39 pm
aau

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA MM Gold, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Plat, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by invisible
I was thinking that running rate per day was $40. Is is now already $75?

Could anybody recommend a car/driver for $40 to visit Benteay Srei and Beng Mealea?
Extremely unlikely to find a private driver to bring you to the more remote locations for $40. Maybe a tuk-tuk, or rent a bicycle.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 8:56 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Great info here. I'm heading to REP very soon, and contacting Synon.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 2:07 am

Originally Posted by silver springer
Glad you liked him; this is a win-win for all involved.
Originally Posted by aau
I hired Synon as a driver for my trip to Siem Reap Thanksgiving week, and would recommend him to anyone. I paid $30 for the day touring the Angkor Wat area temples, $75 the next day for sites further afield from Siem Reap (Banteay Srei, etc), plus $7 each way for transport to/from airport and Le Meridien hotel. I contacted Synon via his gmail address about a week before the trip. The only weird thing is he did not confirm after I sent him my arrival info, so exited REP airport unsure of what would happen next, but he was there waiting for me. Synon is trying to become a full-time driver for-hire (and also trying to buy a Lexus SUV or Toyota Highlander), so he wants to get as many Flyertalker bookings as he can accommodate.
Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
Great info here. I'm heading to REP very soon, and contacting Synon.
Hello all, we hired Synon for 6 days in a row. He is simply awesome.
always on time, ready with cold water bottles if you need them. He has a great personality; always smiling. Drives safe.

I have created a TripAdvisor page for him. Will post here as soon as it gets approved. It would help him if you guys can write a review when the page gets approved.

He is indeed trying to buy an SUV next month. Hopefully he will be able to get it. Currently he has a mini-bus and a tuk tuk (which his brother drives).

Yes, this is a great family that can be helped by FT-ers.
He is very appreciative of "Flyertalk" people.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 11:33 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
Just to add that part of his reason for wanting to do well is to give his family a good life - his daughter is ambitious and would like to be a doctor
Old Dec 12, 2015, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by price123
Just to add that part of his reason for wanting to do well is to give his family a good life - his daughter is ambitious and would like to be a doctor
Absolutely! Every single dollar he saves...he puts it towards his children's education.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 5:48 pm

Thanks to the info in this thread, I employed Synon's service this new year. He was quick to respond by email. Was busy on the evening of our arrival and hence did not provide the 'free pick up' from airport.

Day 1 ($40)
$30 for temple in Angkor Wat and Angkor Thom area + $10 for sunrise at Angkor Wat

Day 2 ($57)
$30 Day charge +$20 for Kbal Spean, Banteay Srei and Banteay Samre +$7 for airport drop

Apart from that, I bought him lunch for both the days ~$6.

He provides free cold water bottles for customers to refresh in his van upon return from temples and keeps engaging conversation.

Overall, I would recommend him for safe and reliable service.

For people on a budget, for temples around Angkor Wat/ Thom area, tuk tuk (~$15-20) would be fine and car is not essential unless in extremely hot weather. For the day trips, definitely employ a car.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by grad10
Thanks to the info in this thread, I employed Synon's service this new year. He was quick to respond by email. Was busy on the evening of our arrival and hence did not provide the 'free pick up' from airport.

Day 1 ($40)
$30 for temple in Angkor Wat and Angkor Thom area + $10 for sunrise at Angkor Wat

Day 2 ($57)
$30 Day charge +$20 for Kbal Spean, Banteay Srei and Banteay Samre +$7 for airport drop

Apart from that, I bought him lunch for both the days ~$6.

He provides free cold water bottles for customers to refresh in his van upon return from temples and keeps engaging conversation.

Overall, I would recommend him for safe and reliable service.

For people on a budget, for temples around Angkor Wat/ Thom area, tuk tuk (~$15-20) would be fine and car is not essential unless in extremely hot weather. For the day trips, definitely employ a car.
Has he got an SUV yet? or still the Minibus thingy?

I have tried to create a Tripadvisor page for him. But, T.A had not approved it for almost 3 weeks...and now they have deleted the review I created for his business (as a "new" listing)

Is this normal for T.A? How does one ever create a new listing?\

BTW, there was no email from T.A saying "thank you for your review, it is pending,....etc".
Old Jan 20, 2016, 11:10 pm

Programs: AA Airpass, UA 1P, SPG Plat
Just finished a visit for a few days with Synon - overall we were very pleased and would recommend him. Extremely friendly, very warm, and quite flexible. As others mentioned, he is not a registered guide - we forgot this, however he helped us to arrange one.

Tip - if you want a guide give Synon a bit more notice and he can arrange a better one. We did it last minute and he, rather honestly, admitted he would get the best he could, but potentially not the best if we had arranged it sooner.

Minibus was comfortable and easy for a group of 4, luggage, etc. We also used him for airport transfers to the Park Hyatt.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by Phipps
Just finished a visit for a few days with Synon - overall we were very pleased and would recommend him. Extremely friendly, very warm, and quite flexible. As others mentioned, he is not a registered guide - we forgot this, however he helped us to arrange one.

Tip - if you want a guide give Synon a bit more notice and he can arrange a better one. We did it last minute and he, rather honestly, admitted he would get the best he could, but potentially not the best if we had arranged it sooner.

Minibus was comfortable and easy for a group of 4, luggage, etc. We also used him for airport transfers to the Park Hyatt.
^
Thank you for using Synon! Such a nice guy!!!

Yes, we had the same issue for a guide on our first day. He said that he could have gotten a better guide if we had arranged it earlier.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 9:11 am

I used Synon in the week before last. He was terrific.

He was waiting at the airport with a sign (and a big smile), even though the flight was much later than I had originally told him & we were delayed at customs. He's prompt, pleasant and a safe driver. He recommended good activities and good restaurants. The van was a bit large for 2 travelers, this was fine-- groups of up to 6 or so would be fine, too.

Let me know if you get a trip advisor page up for him, I'd write a nice review.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
I used Synon in the week before last. He was terrific.

He was waiting at the airport with a sign (and a big smile), even though the flight was much later than I had originally told him & we were delayed at customs. He's prompt, pleasant and a safe driver. He recommended good activities and good restaurants. The van was a bit large for 2 travelers, this was fine-- groups of up to 6 or so would be fine, too.

Let me know if you get a trip advisor page up for him, I'd write a nice review.
Thanks for this! I have tried to submit a tripadvisor page for him a few times. But somehow the page never gets "approved" (or whatever the process is called). Not sure what to do about it really.

I think Synon is hoping to buy an SUV in the near future. He is saving up for it. He will sell the minibus thingy at that time.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by ft4lyf
I think Synon is hoping to buy an SUV in the near future. He is saving up for it. He will sell the minibus thingy at that time.
I don't know why I even mentioned the mini-van, except that it came up in the thread. There's no problem with it. It was not a complaint at all. It ran fine, seats were comfortable, and lots of room. Synon keeps it spotless. It's a great choice for large groups and more than enough room for small groups. It did occur to me that it must really suck down the gas, and he's not charging that much to drive us around. That made me empathetic with his financial goals of getting his kids educated. We left big tips, too.

My only problem with it is that it was hard to find HIS white mini van in the sea of white mini vans parked in the lots. These vans appear nearly identical from any distance at all. I'm not really a car person, and can hardly find my own car. So, if you have this shortcoming as well, do note his licence number before you hike off to the temples and be clear about where exactly he will be parking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.