Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Why do Centurion lounges require boarding pass for entry?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why do Centurion lounges require boarding pass for entry?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2016, 12:16 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
I use the Centurion on arrival all the time. (Basically, any time I fly into SFO's T3; so any domestic trips or any trips from EMEA.)
Old Feb 7, 2016, 12:57 am

Programs: Global Entry/TSA PreCheck
I have talked to the people at the front desk at both SFO and LAS. At both locations, they don't care if you are departing or arriving that day. The only issue is whether you can get passed TSA to reach the Lounge. So, if you are arriving at a terminal connected to the Lounge, you are fine upon arrival. Also, if you are departing from another terminal, TSA will allow you to pass through security to access the Centurion Lounge. You will then have to pass through security again when going to your departing gate. (LAS does have a tram that connects T1 and T3 to the D gates, so you only ever have to go through security once, no matter which gate you are departing from.)
Old Feb 7, 2016, 10:21 am

@jsk1973, @helvetic, @Finagler

Thanks for the confirmations.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by Finagler
I have talked to the people at the front desk at both SFO and LAS. At both locations, they don't care if you are departing or arriving that day. The only issue is whether you can get passed TSA to reach the Lounge. So, if you are arriving at a terminal connected to the Lounge, you are fine upon arrival. Also, if you are departing from another terminal, TSA will allow you to pass through security to access the Centurion Lounge. You will then have to pass through security again when going to your departing gate. (LAS does have a tram that connects T1 and T3 to the D gates, so you only ever have to go through security once, no matter which gate you are departing from.)
I would agree about arriving or departing. They do not care. In fact, they do not require a boarding pass, but will ask you for your flight which of course could be totally bogus.

The part about getting "passed TSA" is totally illogical. You can not get to the lounge in those two airports and most of the others without going through TSA at some point. Totally worthless explanation. TSA has nothing to do with it. (LGA is another story)
Old Feb 8, 2016, 10:15 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
I would agree about arriving or departing. They do not care. In fact, they do not require a boarding pass, but will ask you for your flight which of course could be totally bogus.

The part about getting "passed TSA" is totally illogical. You can not get to the lounge in those two airports and most of the others without going through TSA at some point. Totally worthless explanation. TSA has nothing to do with it. (LGA is another story)
Well no, the point is that if you arrive, for example, into MIA Terminal J, you can't use the lounge on arrival because TSA won't let you into MIA Terminal D without a departing boarding pass. So AmEx doesn't have a problem with you coming in, you just won't be able to physically get to the lounge.

Last edited by chrisny2; Feb 8, 2016 at 10:18 am Reason: Terminals updated
Old Feb 8, 2016, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by samm
Thought this recent modification to the Access Policy was very interesting:

"Note: The Centurion Lounge is a Day of Departure lounge requiring confirmed travel plans. Passengers holding standby tickets and non-revenue standby passengers, including airline or industry employees traveling on discounted tickets, are not eligible to utilize the lounge unless they have received a boarding pass showing a confirmed seat or zone assignment for the flight for which they are on standby."

This was added as recently as September, the Wayback machine does not show that in the prior capture.

Kind of surprising to me that it was that much of a problem for them that it necessitated adding that.
Heavily discussed in the SEA location thread, as person not allowed in with a standby BP.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by chrisny2
Well no, the point is that if you arrive, for example, into MIA Terminal J, you can't use the lounge on arrival because TSA won't let you into MIA Terminal D without a departing boarding pass. So AmEx doesn't have a problem with you coming in, you just won't be able to physically get to the lounge.
Okay, in this example, you can not get to the lounge. I get that.

But, the question still is: Why do they want to see your boarding pass?
Old Feb 8, 2016, 12:34 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Why do they want to see your boarding pass?
Scroll back to post 75 which I have just transferred into this thread from another. It's simply to make sure that everyone who enters the lounge is actually travelling, as distinguished from others who have access to that portion of the airport due to their employment.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
Scroll back to post 75 which I have just transferred into this thread from another. It's simply to make sure that everyone who enters the lounge is actually travelling, as distinguished from others who have access to that portion of the airport due to their employment.
That part makes perfect sense. I get that. Though, we have entered without showing a pass, but I would guess that is at the discretion of a reasonably intelligent employee at the counter. Southwest 'normally' collects your boarding pass when boarding for example.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 11:13 pm

Programs: UAL, Hawaiian, Hilton, AMEX
If there are certain employees working in SFO when you arrive, you will not get past the desk unless you have a confirmed seat assignment--doesn't matter if they've seen you a million time and you've been in compliance every time. Just because someone happens to be an airline employee and on a reduced fare/standby ticket, doesn't mean they aren't traveling. As far as I know, they are paying the same fee as everyone else for their Plat. Card. The policy is very discriminatory.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 12:06 am

Programs: Starwood Residences Owner, AA 1MM, MP Gold, Avis-Hertz PC, Ritz Gold
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Heavily discussed in the SEA location thread, as person not allowed in with a standby BP.
Almost happened at DFW last week and about had a fit. It's bad enough I have to take 3 pieces of information (DL, Card, BP) when at the Admirals Club I rattle off 6 alphanumeric characters.

Obviously my ID was checked by TSA. And DFW is full of WT families I only visit for the banquet style food and immediately head to the AC.

Note: I've never been questioned by the lovely crew at LGA when on Priority Verification. They always say, "Welcome, back." They kind of know me, but only because I'm obsessed with the fried chicken

Secondly, if American Airlines allows employees to purchase Admirals Club memberships with same access benefits, American Express should have built larger clubs.

Again, certainly wouldn't visit the DFW location for its ambience

I dreamt this, but I swear I saw people walking around barefoot at that location. Yuck.

The manager is very nice though and always has a smile, which I appreciate so I'm never rude.

Last edited by mia; Mar 31, 2016 at 8:00 am
Old Apr 21, 2016, 4:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
Arrival lounge after red eye?

Seems like you can access as an arrivals lounge but I have a slight twist. Anyone ever tried to get in as an arrival lounge following a red eye? So your flight departed the night before, you arrive the following morning, no connecting flight but want to freshen up/nosh before you leave the airport. Any luck?
Old Apr 21, 2016, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by adambadam
Seems like you can access as an arrivals lounge but I have a slight twist. Anyone ever tried to get in as an arrival lounge following a red eye? So your flight departed the night before, you arrive the following morning, no connecting flight but want to freshen up/nosh before you leave the airport. Any luck?
While I have never been in this situation, I don't see why they would treat that differently from any other arrival. I mean, you still arrived on the day you're trying to gain entry for.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 5:46 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by adambadam
The only flight where this would matter are the red-eyes from HNL or KOA. Tpac red-eyes land in G so would cause problems getting through security.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by helvetic
The only flight where this would matter are the red-eyes from HNL or KOA. Tpac red-eyes land in G so would cause problems getting through security.
Flying to MIA in the case I am proposing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.