Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Why do Centurion lounges require boarding pass for entry?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2015, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
On a related note, why do the rules state that you need to present a boarding pass "upon request". Has anyone not had to show a boarding pass to enter one of these lounges? If they always require it, then they should just drop the "upon request" verbiage and make it clear that lounge access is only available if you are flying that same day.

To the OP - just buy a fully refundable ticket for the last flight of the evening and then cancel that flight after you are in the lounge. Make sure it is fully refundable, of course, and allow yourself at least an hour leeway.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 3:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Platinum), AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by Soccerdad1995
On a related note, why do the rules state that you need to present a boarding pass "upon request". Has anyone not had to show a boarding pass to enter one of these lounges? If they always require it, then they should just drop the "upon request" verbiage and make it clear that lounge access is only available if you are flying that same day.

To the OP - just buy a fully refundable ticket for the last flight of the evening and then cancel that flight after you are in the lounge. Make sure it is fully refundable, of course, and allow yourself at least an hour leeway.
I've entered the DFW centurion lounge several times without even having to show ID or boarding pass. Some of the check-in desk employees know me by now, haha.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 3:47 pm

i've been in the various Cent L's many many times and i don't recall ever being asked for ID, just BP and CC
Old Jan 24, 2015, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by Steve M
I suspect that one of the reasons is to prevent people that happen to work in the airport from using it for free meals and drinks every day.
Interesting and logical idea. I'm not sure the lounge can discriminate based on where someone works. If an employee has a Plat or Cent card then they do have the right to use the lounge. But I suppose they can require same day travel to weed the non travelers out.

However if I work at SFO and am a AC member then I can go in and out of that lounge all day. Granted the food selection does have a little to be desired
Old Jan 25, 2015, 8:57 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by sdix
However if I work at SFO and am a AC member then I can go in and out of that lounge all day. Granted the food selection does have a little to be desired
Perhaps not:

Airline, airport, and industry employees are not permitted access while in uniform (this includes employees of other airlines, private and corporate aircraft, and charter carriers).
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInform...Conditions.jsp
Old Jan 25, 2015, 11:18 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
I think it's data collection.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 12:59 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
It's great data to collect for marketing reasons, more accurate mining then trying to understand what airlines the cardholders fly most often, they might not use their amex for purchasing the ticket but use it for the lounge.

By having an accurate measure of what airlines your cardmembers are actually flying you learn where best to market your services and what airlines to lean on when you want to work a deal.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by Steve M
I suspect that one of the reasons is to prevent people that happen to work in the airport from using it for free meals and drinks every day.
Most people who work at the airport can get boarding passes very easy for no cost.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 5:53 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I use the CL in LAS very often; I'm always asked to show ID and bp.
Since LGA lounge is landside, I could see a need for showing a bp; otherwise anyone in the vacinity with a PLAT card could stop in for a meal. [LGA is one of the few airports with easy pedestrian access from the street.]
Old Feb 1, 2015, 10:44 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
There's a lot of value in knowing where you are going and what airline you're flying. They are scanning th BP's to store this data. They then mine the data to help understand travel patterns and preferences. They may also sell the data.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by sdix
Interesting and logical idea. I'm not sure the lounge can discriminate based on where someone works. If an employee has a Plat or Cent card then they do have the right to use the lounge.
Not if there's a rule against it. As mia already pointed out, AA has certain rules in this regard. I vaguely remember CO's lounge access rules prohibited people that worked at the airport from using it on a daily basis. At the time, CO offered free booze as a benefit to all people (well, 21 and over) in the lounges, so I can see how there would need to be a rule against people using it on a daily basis after work.

I do suspect that data collection has a lot to do with the Centurion lounge boarding pass rules, but one way or the other, they'll need to address daily use by airport employees or it will become a problem.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 11:55 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, National EE, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, Fairmont Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by nrr
I use the CL in LAS very often; I'm always asked to show ID and bp.
Since LGA lounge is landside, I could see a need for showing a bp; otherwise anyone in the vacinity with a PLAT card could stop in for a meal. [LGA is one of the few airports with easy pedestrian access from the street.]
Just wondering about the CL in LAS, are you able to use this as an arrival lounge?
Old Feb 2, 2015, 12:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by specboi
Just wondering about the CL in LAS, are you able to use this as an arrival lounge?
No problem. I've done it twice- two Monday mornings in a row last month
Old Feb 6, 2015, 10:36 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold

In LAS last month I had a gate pass to help my blind father to his gate and with an hour to kill we stopped by the Centurion lounge. But with no boarding pass in my name we were denied entry. Of course a quick purchase on my phone of a refundable ticket then produced a boarding pass and got us in. But I found it annoying that I had to go through that much trouble to get in.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 10:55 pm

Programs: Delta P, SPG G, Marriott S, Hertz PC
With delta lounges, I am always asked for a boarding pass, even before I got a delta Amex reserve with access. It was always your Amex platinum card, boarding pass and drivers. Was easier than asking you for what flight you just got off.

For the value of the benefit, I would be ok taking a pee sample to get in and enjoy the amenities before or after a flight.

Their turf, their rules.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.