Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Why do Centurion lounges require boarding pass for entry?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why do Centurion lounges require boarding pass for entry?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2015, 6:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by garykung
Welcome to FT.

1. It is Citi, not Cities.

2. AFAIK - SFO is the first U.S. major airport that does not have a PP lounge. So unless you want to go to T2 for Admiral Club, you are stuck even you switch to Citi.

3. I believe "confirmed reservation" means you are not using a ID90 ticket.

You can standby an earlier flight. You simply need to show the one with the confirmed seat.
There's no PP Select lounge at MSP. The UA lounge doesn't accept the version of PP that comes with a USA AmEx card and the DL lounges aren't in PP either, although they do allow access with an AmEx Plat or Centurion card for those with same day DL flights.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 7:19 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
American Express is the only card issuer building its own airport lounge network. Neither Citi nor Chase has the scale in their premium credit card business to amortize the expense. American Express apparently does need to address overcrowding. I wouldn't think that the number of travelers affected by this rule would be enough to warrant the ill will that it could create, but they have the data.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
There's no PP Select lounge at MSP. The UA lounge doesn't accept the version of PP that comes with a USA AmEx card ...
No United Club accepts any version of Priority Pass:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...rity-pass.html
Old Aug 13, 2015, 4:16 pm

I can tell you exactly why they do this. AA HDQ is 5 minutes south of DFW. An AA employee can get a standby boarding pass in seconds, but alas, unless the flight is almost empty, he or she would not get a seat assignment until at the gate just before the flight leaves.

So before checking for seat assignment, AA employees could go over to Centurion lounge for a quick buffet lunch, maybe some breakfast, or even better, a nice happy hour / dinner on Friday night. Get the picture?

8,000 employees 5 minutes south... each one with plat card can bring two friends... It's not hard to see why Amex would want to address this.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 6:49 pm

Programs: United 1K,Marriott Platinum Premier,IHC Platinum Ambassador,Hilton Gold
Centurion Lounge Access new terms

Centurion Lounge Access "New" Terms and Conditions state you must "Present the Centurion agent with a boarding pass showing a CONFIRMED reservation" This new term will eliminate anyone traveling standby..One way to adhere to Amex new policy would be to book a refundable ticket for same day travel and cancel your refundable reservation every time you leave the lounge (or just have the centurion agent do it for you) Thoughts?
Old Sep 7, 2015, 7:07 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
I would imagine this change doesn't affect roughly 99% of cardmembers?
Old Sep 7, 2015, 7:17 pm

Programs: United 1K,Marriott Platinum Premier,IHC Platinum Ambassador,Hilton Gold
It does affect me..just trying to get some input..I think they are doing this to cut down on lounge crowding..It just seems like a hassle to me to book a refundable ticket and then cancel it every time I fly standby..First world problems I guess?
Old Sep 7, 2015, 7:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Gosh...you mean they're not happy with non-revs printing off a standby BP, having a meal in the lounge and then leaving? Hardly surprising.

If you're comfortable with the ethics of buying a refundable ticket with no intention of flying just to get a "free" meal from AmEx then have fun.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 11:07 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
I’ll bite. How does a person have a standby ticket withOUT having confirmed ticket for later in the day?
Old Sep 8, 2015, 3:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
I’ll bite. How does a person have a standby ticket withOUT having confirmed ticket for later in the day?
Many reasons; you could be an airline employee travelling on standby for anything.

I know what you mean, though, and I can't see this affecting too many people.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 7:34 am
mia

Moderator action

Merged into existing thread. Not sure this is a new policy, scroll back to post 34 where this was first reported in March.

Originally Posted by CAL PHL FLYER
Centurion Lounge Access "New" Terms and Conditions state you must "Present the Centurion agent with a boarding pass showing a CONFIRMED reservation"
Old Sep 8, 2015, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by garykung
Welcome to FT.

1. It is Citi, not Cities.

2. AFAIK - SFO is the first U.S. major airport that does not have a PP lounge. So unless you want to go to T2 for Admiral Club, you are stuck even you switch to Citi.

3. I believe "confirmed reservation" means you are not using a ID90 ticket.

You can standby an earlier flight. You simply need to show the one with the confirmed seat.
RE #2, PP did recently add the Air France/KLM lounge in the international terminal (A gates). It isn't reviewed very well, but it's better than nothing, especially if you fly Alaska a lot. A crowded Centurion lounge is still better than any other lounge at SFO, though.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 4:09 pm

Checking* boarding pass is kind of silly since anyone can print up any boarding pass nowadays.

* When TSA checks it, it actually connects to a system that verifies that it is indeed a real boarding pass. I doubt Amex is connected to that system.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 5:04 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by markr33
* When TSA checks it, it actually connects to a system that verifies that it is indeed a real boarding pass. I doubt Amex is connected to that system.
I'm 99% sure this is not true. When the TSA checks it, it is just checking whether the bar code / QR code is consistent with a valid boarding pass, has the right date encoded in it, and either does or doesn't indicate the passenger is selected for Precheck. But if you printed a boarding pass and then cancelled the flight with the airline, the TSA would have no way of knowing the ticket was no longer valid. (Same if you spoofed a boarding pass with the required level of rigor, which is not tremendously high.)
Old Sep 8, 2015, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by bgriff
I'm 99% sure this is not true. When the TSA checks it, it is just checking whether the bar code / QR code is consistent with a valid boarding pass, has the right date encoded in it, and either does or doesn't indicate the passenger is selected for Precheck. But if you printed a boarding pass and then cancelled the flight with the airline, the TSA would have no way of knowing the ticket was no longer valid. (Same if you spoofed a boarding pass with the required level of rigor, which is not tremendously high.)
That is the case for the TSA scanners I've seen over the years but I haven't flown anywhere in a year so they could've changed. My old trick was to go to the first class security line because the scanner did not show the class of ticket when scanned.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 7:14 am
mia

Moderator observation

Discussion is veering off topic. If you walk to delve into the minutiae of boarding passes, we have a cluster of forums for that:

Travel Safety/Security

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.