Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Why do Centurion lounges require boarding pass for entry?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why do Centurion lounges require boarding pass for entry?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2015, 3:46 pm

Must be same-airport boarding pass

Probably one for the "duh" file, but I had a situation come up where I considered landing at EWR and then using the LGA Centurion Lounge. Called Amex and they said that's not allowed, but of course I'm curious whether anyone here has tried that!

Seth
Old Nov 10, 2015, 7:48 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, HHonors Gold
Historically, AMEX themselves have not really done a good job of setting customer expectations.

Have any lounges really ever let you in without showing a boarding pass?

See this TV ad from a few years ago:

Edit: Okay, she does have her boarding pass but they make it seem like she only needs the Platinum card and not the boarding pass to get in.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 10:46 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Originally Posted by Mediahound
Have any lounges really ever let you in without showing a boarding pass?
Most U.S. airline lounges have let you in with just the membership card (Alaska, United, Delta, AA.). The Amex card usually required a boarding pass in addition.

Lately the airline lounges have announced that they will be requiring a boarding pass, apparently to prevent either non-flying people to enter, as well as airline and airport employees.

Not entirely clear why Amex requires a boarding pass for the Centurion Lounge but they do, perhaps for similar reasons.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 7:13 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Seems like it's easy enough to book a ticket anywhere to enter and cancel it right away once you're in.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 8:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by seacarl
Not entirely clear why Amex requires a boarding pass for the Centurion Lounge but they do, perhaps for similar reasons.
Platinum holders are guests, not members, of Centurion Lounge. The fine print also prohibits people from using the Centurion Lounge while in airline/airport uniform.

Originally Posted by SeoxyS
Seems like it's easy enough to book a ticket anywhere to enter and cancel it right away once you're in.
Already seen reports of people doing this in Miami. People pull this crap and then wonder why benefits get slashed and service goes to hell.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 8:15 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by jsk1973
Already seen reports of people doing this in Miami. People pull this crap and then wonder why benefits get slashed and service goes to hell.
I suppose - though this has pretty much always been possible with airport lounges, so it's not a new phenomenon.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 11:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by jsk1973
Platinum holders are guests, not members, of Centurion Lounge. The fine print also prohibits people from using the Centurion Lounge while in airline/airport uniform.

I was under the impression that you were supposed to be able to take meetings at the Centurion lounge. My SO works in Burlingame, right next to Burlingame. It might make sense for her to take a work meeting there with somebody who's on their way in or out, and get a gate pass to do so.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 1:10 am
Suspended

I was under the impression that you were supposed to be able to take meetings at the Centurion lounge. My SO works in Burlingame, right next to Burlingame. It might make sense for her to take a work meeting there with somebody who's on their way in or out, and get a gate pass to do so.
A gate pass isn't going to get her in. She'll need a boarding pass. (From what I've read, not even people flying standby are allowed in. Must be a valid same-day boarding pass for the airport at which the lounge is located.)
Old Nov 14, 2015, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
A few months ago, we flew into Vegas and stopped at the lounge on the way to baggage claim. They asked for boarding pass, which of course we no longer had. Told them where we flew from and had no problem.

Then again, that was a few months ago.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 10:33 am

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
As mentioned earlier today, gate pass is indeed a reason why CL requires a BP. Without a BP requirement, the CL would be inundated with requests for a gate pass inorder for nonflying plat and centurion to access the lounge. Although gate passes are handed out by airlines, they are subject to restrictions set by TSA, there has to be a need for issuing the gate pass. Getting into the lounge is not a valid reason.

However the primary reason for BP requirement is to get all the information for marketting purposes.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by WR Cage
As mentioned earlier today, gate pass is indeed a reason why CL requires a BP. Without a BP requirement, the CL would be inundated with requests for a gate pass inorder for nonflying plat and centurion to access the lounge. Although gate passes are handed out by airlines, they are subject to restrictions set by TSA, there has to be a need for issuing the gate pass. Getting into the lounge is not a valid reason.

However the primary reason for BP requirement is to get all the information for marketting purposes.
Re: "Getting into the lounge is not a valid reason.: — United gives gate passes to UA Club members who want to visit the lounge. Why couldn't Amex?
Old Nov 14, 2015, 9:10 pm

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
Re: "Getting into the lounge is not a valid reason.: — United gives gate passes to UA Club members who want to visit the lounge. Why couldn't Amex?
UA might have 1:20 or 1:10 gate passes handed out exclusively for UA club patrons, so their use is primarily for the intended purpose (unaccompanied minors, assistance for elderly lax, etc.). Whereas a Amex would exclusively be for the use of its patrons.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 11:15 am

Access as ARRIVALS lounge.

Several upstream report success using CL as an arrivals lounge. The SFO CL FAQs state:

"Access to The Centurion Lounge is complimentary for . . .

"Note: The Centurion Lounge is a Day of Departure lounge requiring confirmed travel plans. . . ."

Is this a new policy and/or specific to SFO (I haven't checked other CLs T&Cs)? Can we use the SFO CL using same-day arrival BPs?

TIA
Old Feb 6, 2016, 11:22 am
Suspended

"Day of departure" seems to mean a person is traveling that day. I haven't seen any reports of people being denied access to a CL upon arrival.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA EP
Thought this recent modification to the Access Policy was very interesting:

"Note: The Centurion Lounge is a Day of Departure lounge requiring confirmed travel plans. Passengers holding standby tickets and non-revenue standby passengers, including airline or industry employees traveling on discounted tickets, are not eligible to utilize the lounge unless they have received a boarding pass showing a confirmed seat or zone assignment for the flight for which they are on standby."

This was added as recently as September, the Wayback machine does not show that in the prior capture.

Kind of surprising to me that it was that much of a problem for them that it necessitated adding that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.