Wiki Posts
Search

New US-Based AMEX card application

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2014, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

Wink New US-Based AMEX card application

Hey Guys:

I am new here and don't have much experiences applying credit card. So I may have some Questions about applying credit cards here.

About me:
1. I am a Chinese passport holder, travels between China and US
2. DO NOT have Social Security #(SSN) or ITIN, BUT have valid US address for billing
3. I have AMEX card issued from a China bank with excellent credit history and convinced credit line, as well as a US-based credit card (BOA) with moderate transactions and credit line.

Per chatting with AMEX rep., a valid SSN/ITIN for AMEX credit card application is not a MUST, so that I can apply US-based AMEX credit card through a phone call. After I do so I have no idea about the application results, the sales rep on call only took my China-based AMEX card info and skip my US-based BOA credit card, so here I come with some questions.

1. Does AMEX card share credit transactions internationally, so that AMEX HQ or card approval dept. can reach AMEX transactions from China?
2. My US-based BOA card has approx. 1 year active history and i believe the credit is good, always spend safely and pay on-time. As long as I don't have SSN, i am not sure if AMEX or other banks are able to reach my personal credits by only checking my Passport #, name and DOB.
3. If i can redo the AMEX card application, should I insist to provide US-based cards to get a more convinced credit background ?

I know some of the questions related to AMEX internal approval process that may not be appropriate to shared with, but for me, I only want to increase the chance of getting APPROVED!

Thank you guys in advance, looking forward to your comments or recommendations!
Old Sep 29, 2014, 9:11 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
1. Yes
2. Doesn't matter.
3. Definitely not.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 10:42 pm
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
umm how'd you get a US BoA CC without having a SSN?
Old Sep 29, 2014, 10:50 pm
Original Poster

BOA accepts foreign passport to offer a "Security CC", but the credit line is equivalent to how much you willing to deposit at beginning and has to freeze for 12 months. After 12 mths, deposit refunds and Security CC can be switch to normal CC with higher credit line, like cash reward CC etc. The whole process does not require SSN
Old Sep 29, 2014, 10:54 pm
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
ah ok so what you got was a secured loan, its not really a traditional CC. and are you sure you can switch over to a regular CC after a year with no SSN? never heard of anything like that before.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 11:10 pm
Original Poster

I have already switched to a normal CC for a few months, a cash reward card, with no SSN.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 12:16 am

Did you try this?:

https://www.americanexpress.com/global-card-transfers/

Or contact Amex in China?
Old Sep 30, 2014, 12:48 am
Original Poster

This is a good connection, thanks Pal. Global Card Transfers, Huh, I will check that out. Sounds like it has go go through the regular application, and they will call back to request additional personal info.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 2:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Centurion
Did you try this?:

https://www.americanexpress.com/global-card-transfers/

Or contact Amex in China?
Do you have any idea that AMEX HQ is able to verify one person's credit history wherever the AMEX card issued? maybe that's why they need a "global transfer department"
Old Oct 4, 2014, 5:30 pm

Programs: Accor Plat, SPG Gold, MR Silver, BA Gold, DL Silver, Amex Plat (IDC)
I'm Swiss and still live in Switzerland, have a business since 2007 in the US (tiny) and just have a ITIN.

I started with boa too and a secure card with $500 for 11 months, added $4500 (to reach 5k) and after 1 month (12 month period) i got a check of $5k and i had a real credit limit of 5k.

a yeah later i was approved for the boa amex and again a year after that a business visa.

I have now a total of 41k limit and i just pay off to keep it at 0.

Still don't know how you did without a ITIN (patriot act) but your lucky if you was able to do it. (but it should be useless for a credit history).

I will relocate next year and for what i know, i can switch my itin to a ssn and have a full access to my credit history and apply for a real amex.

i did an app for the platinum last year, wasnt denied but my app on review and they have to have a proof of my ssn (tried a lot of things by phone and fax to confirm my identity but they NEEDED a ssn)! (but they approved my itin for the credit check!)

Good luck!
Old Oct 5, 2014, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by zhouyuwei128
Do you have any idea that AMEX HQ is able to verify one person's credit history wherever the AMEX card issued? maybe that's why they need a "global transfer department"
Global transfers are not available for Chinese Amex as these cards are issued by banks and not Amex, unless the card was issued in Hong Kong or Taiwan.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 3:37 am
gum

Programs: LH Blue, BA Blue, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by zhouyuwei128
My idea would be: Send in the card application by mail and attach the last six or so credit card statements of your China based Amex card. This is additional evidence of your purchases/turnover and paying them back regularly.

Sorry that I don't know the exact details of the Amex operations in China. But my *German* monthly account statement is printed and sent from the US. Therefore there is some central processing facility also used for cards outside the US. ^

There should be some centralized database behind. But the last statements won't hurd if you send them in with your application.

So this would be something like additional positive information about your reliability.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 4:40 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by gum
...my *German* monthly account statement is printed and sent from the US. Therefore there is some central processing facility also used for cards outside the US.....
I think this is more likely to occur in a country, such as Germany, where the cards are issued directly by American Express. In China (as mentioned by SteveT) the cards are issued by local banks, and not by American Express.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.