Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

AmEx [USA] Small Biz Saturday 2014: Nov 29, $10 per transaction, $30 per card.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 16, 2014, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
A. Overview
1. What is Small Business Saturday (SBS)?
SBS is an annual promotion run by American Express to encourage use of its cards at small/local businesses. 2014 is the fifth year of the promotion. (FT threads for prior years: 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013.)

2. When is Small Business Saturday 2014?
SBS always takes place on the Saturday after Thanksgiving. In 2014, that falls on Nov. 29.

3. What's the 2014 SBS bonus? How does SBS 2014 differ from prior years?
In 2014, you can earn up to a $30 bonus (3 x $10) per card. See part C below for details.
B. Registration & Eligibility
1. Do I need to pre-register for the promotion?
Yes, you must pre-register each eligible card (see below) on or after Nov. 16. Although the promotion is not targeted, Amex does impose a global limit on enrollments, so early registration is advisable.

2. Where do register?
At the official SBS enrollment page. (You may also be able to register using the "My Offers" section of your Amex online account, but this will usually not work for additional user cards & is completely inapplicable to Amex-branded cards from other issuers, such as Macy's.)

3. Can I register additional-user (AU) cards as well as primary accountholder cards?
Yes. In previous years, any AU card with a unique card number -- i.e., a number different from the primary user's card -- could be registered and used to earn the SBS bonus.

Note: Amex-branded cards from other issuers (such as the Macy's Amex, older Citi AA Amex, etc.) use a single card number for all users on an account. As a result, only one SBS bonus can be earned for these accounts regardless of the number of AU cards.

4. What happens if I fail to register a card in advance?
You will not earn an SBS bonus on that card. Pre-registration is mandatory.

5. Are any Amex cards ineligible for SBS?
Per the terms of the offer, Corporate Cards and all prepaid Card products (other than American Express Serve and Bluebird) are not eligible.
C. Participating in SBS/Earning the Bonus
1. How do I earn the SBS bonus?
Earn the SBS bonus by
  • making one or more in-person transactions of at least $10/transaction
  • on Saturday, Nov. 29
  • using a registered Amex card
  • at a qualifying small business

2. How do I know whether a merchant is a qualifying small business?
A business must be listed on the map at ShopSmallNow.com to qualify.

Note: In prior years, the map has been extremely overinclusive, listing numerous merchants that do not qualify (including political campaigns/PACs and gas/service stations, all of which are excluded from the offer). Thus, the map should only be used as an initial check: if a merchant is not listed on the map, it is not SBS-eligible. (Tip: to locate a merchant, search by name, not by examining the street map. In past years, pinpoints for many merchants have been badly mislocated.)

3. How many times can I earn a bonus per card?
SBS 2014 allows each registered card to earn three $10 bonuses, including 3 qualifying transactions from the same merchant (i.e., buy 3 $10 gift cards from the same merchant in separate transactions).

4. Can I earn the bonus by purchasing gift cards instead of merchandise/food/drink/services?
Yes. Veteran SBS participants often look to minimize their out-of-pocket costs by buying gift cards at qualifying stores/restaurants in the minimum required amount (this year, $10).

5. When will the credit(s) post to my account?
The offer terms state that a credit will appear on your billing statement within 90 days after Nov 29, 2014. In prior years, credits usually appeared much sooner, either within a week or two or, in some cases, within a few hours after the transaction. UPDATE: Credits for many members began posting on 12/3/14.

6. What if my transaction posts on the following day (Sunday) and not with a date of Nov. 29? Am I out of luck?
Your credit will not post automatically. However, this year (as in past years) members have been able to obtain a manual credit by calling Amex; if necessary, point out to the CSR the Nov. 29 authorization date for the transaction.

7. Are there any other potential pitfalls?
In most cases, you will not receive the statement credit if your transaction is made with an electronic wallet or through a third party or if the merchant uses a mobile or wireless card reader to process it.

In addition, American Express may not receive information that identifies your transaction as a qualifying transaction if the items from your purchase are not all provided to you on Nov 29, 2014. For example, if you purchase an item that is not available until after Nov 29, 2014, that item will not count towards determining whether your transaction qualifies for the offer.
D. Additional Information
1. Where can I find more information about SBS 2014?
See these additional resources:
Print Wikipost

AmEx [USA] Small Biz Saturday 2014: Nov 29, $10 per transaction, $30 per card.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2014, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by elkhornne
I've searched and can't find this answer. I asked earlier, no response so I'll try again.

Can you have 3 transactions at the same merchant on Small Business Saturday and receive 3 credits?

Thanks
Originally Posted by Andrea Waters
Nope. The article I read said you must spend $10 at three separate small business. It hasn't been verified by AMEX but I believe it to be true.

I just looked for the article but couldn't find it. I still believe that we'll be required to spend $10 at three separate business in order to receive the full $30 credit.
Originally Posted by beltway
I see nothing in the T&C that would require the transactions to be at more than one business.
Originally Posted by sdsearch
But I see nothing in the T&Cs about multiple transactions at all, except for the "up to 3" at the very begining, before any of the detailed points! So I wouldn't count on the T&Cs alone to be the final word, if the only wording about where the 3 have to be is other than in the T&Cs.
I assume none of you have done the targeted 5 cities Small Business Promo in August that was a 3x, $5 credit on $5 spend promo.

Based on the experiences on that 3x $5 credits, you sure can do all 3 transactions at the same merchant, and receive all 3x $5 credits. It worked for my area of MIA-FLL, as well as for an FTer whose area was PHL and vicinity.

I dont see how the Thanksgiving promo would work any differently.

The only thing to be aware of is, if you do back to back transactions on the same register, you may trigger fraud alert.

Last edited by Happy; Nov 11, 2014 at 7:14 pm
Old Nov 12, 2014, 8:26 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Happy
I assume none of you have done the targeted 5 cities Small Business Promo in August that was a 3x, $5 credit on $5 spend promo.

Based on the experiences on that 3x $5 credits, you sure can do all 3 transactions at the same merchant, and receive all 3x $5 credits. It worked for my area of MIA-FLL, as well as for an FTer whose area was PHL and vicinity.

The only thing to be aware of is, if you do back to back transactions on the same register, you may trigger fraud alert.
Happy,
Thanks for the info. You're right I wasn't near any of the targeted cities. Hopefully if a fraud alert happens it can be resolved immediately.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 8:53 pm

Programs: Any and All
Has anyone found that the only participating retailers I'd ever shop at that participate in SBS are liquor stores? I look all over my metro area each year, but end up stocking up on booze year in, year out. This year's deal is great. I'll be set for quite a while LOL
Old Nov 14, 2014, 7:36 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by MilesDavis11
...participating retailers...
A purchase at any small business which accepts American Express can trigger the reimbursement. The merchant does not need to "participate" or be listed on the American Express map.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
A purchase at any small business which accepts American Express can trigger the reimbursement. The merchant does not need to "participate" or be listed on the American Express map.
What's the purpose of the map for then?

But if not on the map, what defines a small business? Does it have to be one-location business to be on the safe side? What about a local chain with just a few locations?

In part years, when it was just one bigger rebate, I'd usually just pick a one-location restaurant. But I'm not going to eat out 3 times on one Saturday, so I need a better understanding.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 12:06 pm

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
What's the purpose of the map for then?

But if not on the map, what defines a small business? Does it have to be one-location business to be on the safe side? What about a local chain with just a few locations?

In part years, when it was just one bigger rebate, I'd usually just pick a one-location restaurant. But I'm not going to eat out 3 times on one Saturday, so I need a better understanding.
I think the map's purpose is to help you find participating small businesses in your area, even though it isn't perfect.

A small local chain with just a few locations should qualify.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 12:43 pm

I'm not going to eat out 3 times on one Saturday, so I need a better understanding.
Gift cards are your friend....
Old Nov 14, 2014, 2:20 pm

Programs: United Silver, PC Plat/Amb, HH Dmnd
Originally Posted by Happy

Ditto to Happy's post. I did Minn./St. Paul and made many purchases as one particular retailer. No problems.

Andyandy
Old Nov 14, 2014, 7:10 pm

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
A small local chain with a few locations definitely qualifies. That is precisely where I have made my purchases on previous Small Business Saturdays, though this year I will happily branch out to 2 or 3 other small businesses.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
So, you don't know if a purchase qualifies until after you have made it?
Old Nov 14, 2014, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
Gift cards are your friend....
Not any more they aren't. Not after buying a gift certificate from a restaurant which said it was able to be used at that location only, which I had been eating at for years, and which has a few other locations but not convenient to me, then going back to use it a month later only to find that that location had closed down.

Even if I can use it up at the (local small) chain's other restaurants, their other locations are nowhere near where I am most of the time, so very inconvenient. But I don't know if they'll even accept it, since I did buy it despite being told that it worked at that location only.

So essentially I outright bought 2500 UA miles (the bonus for 5 $40 "dines") for $40, by believing that gift card / gift certificates were my friends.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 10:08 pm

As the saying goes, the exception proves the rule....
Old Nov 15, 2014, 8:51 am

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
So registration starts at midnight on the 16th. Will that be EST?
Old Nov 15, 2014, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by Preacher7
So registration starts at midnight on the 16th. Will that be EST?
Mountain time.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
That may not be true from all I know.

The merchant needs to be on the "list".

A friend had $60 worth of credit NOT posted for purchases made at a small business which was on the list during the August targeted 5 cities promo. When he finally called, the rep said for whatever reason, the business WAS on the list but later was DELETED from the list, but because he was such a valued customer for 30 years, the rep said he would just make a $60 statement credit courtesy adjustment right there right then. His wife also had same credit missing but she did not have such long relationship with AMEX - when she called, she got a response of "opening a case to investigate" Though 6 weeks later she also got the credit.

So regardless, it seems the small business must be on some sort of a list in order to generate the credit, just sayin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.