Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

AMEX (USA) kills ability to transfer MR to non-account holder's airline or hotel acct

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 19, 2014, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: HookemHorns
Membership Rewards (USA) points can be transferred to airline and hotel accounts in the name of the primary cardholder -or- the name of a supplementary cardholder on any card account linked to the same Membership Rewards account. You only need to request a supplementary card. It need not ever be given to the cardholder, nor used for any purchases. American Express will not issue cards for children under age 13.

Bear in mind that American Express (USA) generally limits customers to four credit cards, plus an unspecified number of charge cards. Most of the cards which can be used to add free supplementary cardholders are credit cards, choose one that you actually want to use,

These products allow you to add free Supplementary cardholders:

PERSONAL CARD ACCOUNTS
  • Premier Rewards Gold charge card. $175 fee for primary card, up to five free supplementary cards.
  • Mercedes-Benz credit card. $95 fee for primary card, free supplementary cards.
  • Everyday Preferred credit card. $95 fee for primary card, free supplementary cards.
  • Everyday credit card. No fee for primary or supplementary cards.
  • Blue from American Express credit card. No fee for primary or supplementary cards, but this card participates in Membership Rewards Express. Express points are not eligible for transfer unless you also hold a card participating in the full Membership Rewards program. Caution: Blue Cash, Blue Cash Everyday, Blue Cash Preferred, Blue Sky and Blue Sky Preferred do not participate in Membership Rewards, and supplementary cardholders are not eligible to receive transfers.

SMALL BUSINESS CARD ACCOUNTS
  • Business Gold Rewards charge card. $175 fee for the primary card, $50 for the first supplementary card, but additional supplementary cards are free.
  • Blue for Business credit card. No fee for primary card or supplementary cards, but this card participates in Membership Rewards Express. Express points are not eligible for transfer unless you also hold a card participating in the full Membership Rewards program. This is the best Membership Rewards card for general spending because it earns a 30% annual bonus on all spending.
Print Wikipost

AMEX (USA) kills ability to transfer MR to non-account holder's airline or hotel acct

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2014, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Explore
Sorry for the noob question, but can I transfer MR points to the MR account of an authorized user, or does it have to be to one of their airline or hotel accounts?
Not allowed, officially.

Only MR --> FFN.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 3:34 pm

Programs: DL BA Amex
Originally Posted by thexfactor
Not allowed, officially.

Only MR --> FFN.
As this thread clearly details... AMEX has effectively stopped the "unofficial" ability to transfer Membership Rewards Points to any partner account that does not have the same name as the Amex account.

However, the transfers will still work if the frequent flier account has already been linked to the Amex account.
So I guess really what Amex has done is stop the ability to LINK an account with a different last name...
Old Jun 30, 2014, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bajrbajr
As this thread clearly details... AMEX has effectively stopped the "unofficial" ability to transfer Membership Rewards Points to any partner account that does not have the same name as the Amex account.

However, the transfers will still work if the frequent flier account has already been linked to the Amex account.
So I guess really what Amex has done is stop the ability to LINK an account with a different last name...
As the OP of this thread, I know that AMEX has begun enforcing their policy of disallowing transfers to anyone who is not the primary or AU.

I think you need to reread the post I quoted.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 3:58 pm

As the OP of this thread, I know that AMEX has begun enforcing their policy of disallowing transfers to anyone who is not the primary or AU.

I think you need to reread the post I quoted.
actually I was responding to the person you answered...
But you did put OFFICIALLY in quotes, which means it maybe possible "unofficially"...

Other than the AU route, transfers to the accounts of others are not going to happen.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

actually I was responding to the person you answered...
But you did put OFFICIALLY in quotes, which means it maybe possible "unofficially"...

Other than the AU route, transfers to the accounts of others are not going to happen.
I said what meant and meant what I said. It is possible to transfer MR-MR.

Further, OP only asked with respect to AUs (i.e. can he transfer MR to AU's MR, or must he transfer MR to AU's FFN). He doesn't mention third parties at all.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 4:52 pm

Programs: all
I don't think its a good idea to keep adding AU just for the purpose of transferring points. My guess is that it would be ok if you do it a few times, but if you make it a habit you are inviting a review by amex
Old Jun 30, 2014, 6:36 pm

I said what meant and meant what I said. It is possible to transfer MR-MR.
I wasn't aware of the MR to MR transfers... that allowed to anyone or just an AU?
Brendan likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 7:10 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I wasn't aware of the MR to MR transfers...
Officially it isn't permitted. Customer service has made exceptions, but recent reports suggest that they no longer has this discretion:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ds-points.html
Old Jun 30, 2014, 7:10 pm
mia

I wasn't aware of the MR to MR transfers...
Officially it isn't permitted for accounts issued in the USA. Customer service has made exceptions, but recent reports suggest that they no longer have this discretion:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ds-points.html
Old Jun 30, 2014, 7:13 pm

How about transferring to relatives with the same last name who are not AU? Any way to do this?
Old Jun 30, 2014, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by pantanal
I don't think its a good idea to keep adding AU just for the purpose of transferring points. My guess is that it would be ok if you do it a few times, but if you make it a habit you are inviting a review by amex
Nobody will blink an eye if you are adding family members (even extended family) for the purpose of a FFP transfer. The change was to put a control on the free for all transferring and selling of miles to complete strangers.

So yes, constantly adding and dropping AUs will throw a flag, which is the whole point.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 11:45 am

Programs: all
Originally Posted by gooselee
Nobody will blink an eye if you are adding family members (even extended family) for the purpose of a FFP transfer. The change was to put a control on the free for all transferring and selling of miles to complete strangers.

So yes, constantly adding and dropping AUs will throw a flag, which is the whole point.

exactly...the issue is that mileage brokers have been buying amex miles and transferring them here and there and then redeeming premium tickets. This mostly addresses that issue.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 9:19 am

So I was able to link an ANA account that is not under my name (family).
But after I initiated a transfer, it took 2 days and was cancelled.
The points went back into my Amex account.
Well that sucked.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 9:24 am

Programs: United Airlines Premier, Starwood Gold Preferred Guest, Hyatt Gold Passport, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by vinhboy
So I was able to link an ANA account that is not under my name (family).
But after I initiated a transfer, it took 2 days and was cancelled.
The points went back into my Amex account.
Well that sucked.
How were you able to link it if it wasn't under your name? Did you put in the account number and put your name instead? There's a verification step at the FFP end to accept/reject. Most of them do that using name, some of them don't bother. I guess we just found out that ANA does.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 9:43 am
mia

Originally Posted by vinhboy
...ANA account that is not under my name (family).
Solution: make the family member a Supplementary Cardholder (authorized user) on one of your card accounts. (It must be a card which earns Membership Rewards.) You will then be able to link their frequent flyer accounts to your Membership Rewards account. There is no requirement that the Supplementary card ever be used.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.