Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

AMEX (USA) kills ability to transfer MR to non-account holder's airline or hotel acct

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 19, 2014, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: HookemHorns
Membership Rewards (USA) points can be transferred to airline and hotel accounts in the name of the primary cardholder -or- the name of a supplementary cardholder on any card account linked to the same Membership Rewards account. You only need to request a supplementary card. It need not ever be given to the cardholder, nor used for any purchases. American Express will not issue cards for children under age 13.

Bear in mind that American Express (USA) generally limits customers to four credit cards, plus an unspecified number of charge cards. Most of the cards which can be used to add free supplementary cardholders are credit cards, choose one that you actually want to use,

These products allow you to add free Supplementary cardholders:

PERSONAL CARD ACCOUNTS
  • Premier Rewards Gold charge card. $175 fee for primary card, up to five free supplementary cards.
  • Mercedes-Benz credit card. $95 fee for primary card, free supplementary cards.
  • Everyday Preferred credit card. $95 fee for primary card, free supplementary cards.
  • Everyday credit card. No fee for primary or supplementary cards.
  • Blue from American Express credit card. No fee for primary or supplementary cards, but this card participates in Membership Rewards Express. Express points are not eligible for transfer unless you also hold a card participating in the full Membership Rewards program. Caution: Blue Cash, Blue Cash Everyday, Blue Cash Preferred, Blue Sky and Blue Sky Preferred do not participate in Membership Rewards, and supplementary cardholders are not eligible to receive transfers.

SMALL BUSINESS CARD ACCOUNTS
  • Business Gold Rewards charge card. $175 fee for the primary card, $50 for the first supplementary card, but additional supplementary cards are free.
  • Blue for Business credit card. No fee for primary card or supplementary cards, but this card participates in Membership Rewards Express. Express points are not eligible for transfer unless you also hold a card participating in the full Membership Rewards program. This is the best Membership Rewards card for general spending because it earns a 30% annual bonus on all spending.
Print Wikipost

AMEX (USA) kills ability to transfer MR to non-account holder's airline or hotel acct

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2014, 1:13 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I moved your post from the previous thread to this one, because the situation has fundamentally changed.

Originally Posted by kathysrewards
... "cant confirm".
The name must match Delta's records, and you cannot use his name unless he holds a card on your American Express card account. You might try making the transfer by telephone, but I don't expect it will work.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA GLD Skymiles DM MM, a+ rewards lifetime elite, AS, Marriott plat, PC plat, HH gold
from Business Plat (Open) new text;

Enrolling another account? Please keep in mind that only your frequent traveler accounts and those of your linked Cardmembers are eligible for point transfers.

Drop down box with names of cardholders.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 2:59 pm

Talk about bad timing

I really really really wish I would have completed my transfer a day ago!
Brendan likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 11:17 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
With all the crowing among the BA Bloggers about this, I expected to find a massive thread of ranting. Nope, not even 20 posts yet, LOL!

Maybe this affects the credit card pushers more than most FTers.... if you can't easily transfer your MR points, seems reasonable that a few less people might sign up for the cards.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 5:49 am

uhmmmm, I just transfer to ANA and Avios (someone different last name) couple days ago without a problem......
Old Jun 20, 2014, 6:55 am

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Originally Posted by wagon297
uhmmmm, I just transfer to ANA and Avios (someone different last name) couple days ago without a problem......
I don't think you understand the change. If it was before they changed the rule then you are fine. If you had previously transferred to that person then you are fine. If they are secondary users on your account you are fine.
Brendan likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 7:29 am
mia

Originally Posted by hobo13
...if you can't easily transfer your MR points, seems reasonable that a few less people might sign up for the cards.
You can still easily transfer points to spouses, relatives and friends, people you know well enough to request a supplementary card on your American Express account. The people who are affected are those who transfer points to strangers' frequent flyer accounts as part of a trade. This will now be more difficult and there is an added element of risk.

Because this is not a "rule" change, but rather a software upgrade to enforce the policy, I don't expect any type of notification from American Express, and people will simply discover it when they attempt a transaction.
Brendan likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 9:03 am

I made the transfered 2 days ago to someone never in my account before and not an authorized user and it went through.....
Brendan likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 9:40 am

Programs: AC: E50K, AP: dDiamond
It's also worth noting that other countries force you to transfer to your own name and yet they go through just fine to most carriers even with a name mismatch. The one notable exception is SPG which fails any that are not a direct match.
Brendan likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 10:19 am

Programs: DL BA Amex
Originally Posted by lowside67
It's also worth noting that other countries force you to transfer to your own name and yet they go through just fine to most carriers even with a name mismatch. The one notable exception is SPG which fails any that are not a direct match.
Has anyone tried to transfer to BA with a name mis-match?
Old Jun 20, 2014, 10:29 am

I haven't tried it but you should search Canadian Amex threads as BA is a transfer partner and we are limited to hard coded names just like what the US Amex will be like.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 10:45 am
mia

Originally Posted by lowside67
I haven't tried it but you should search Canadian Amex threads as BA is a transfer partner and we are limited to hard coded names just like what the US Amex will be like.
As I understand the Canadian software is different, storing only the name of the primary cardholder. The USA system displays a list of all the cardholders on all of the card accounts linked to the same Membership Rewards account. The USA system does not permit the user to edit the list in any way, only to click a name. The Amex system then attempts to "link" the Membership Rewards account to the airline/hotel account. If the partner system accepts the name/number combination the link is confirmed, and transfers should then be possible. With some partners this is done in real time, with others it will take a day or two.

kathysrewards has reported the error message which appears if the partner system rejects the name/number combination. It should be possible to test each partner's system by attempting to link, it shouldn't be necessary to actually perform a transfer.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 10:48 am

While the mechanics might be different, the bottom line is that the Canadian system has a hardcoded name that we cannot change, which is not any different than the new US system which hardcodes a name from a list of them. The Canadian system "links" just like the US one does...

Mark
Old Jun 20, 2014, 11:01 am
mia

This is perhaps the best thread to understand the workaround in the Canadian Membership Rewards program:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...n-account.html
Old Jun 20, 2014, 11:26 am

From that thread, the prognosis looks that BA will not allow "3rd party deposits", only Aeroplan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.