Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2014, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Hyacinthe
This thread is a continuation of discussion which began HERE in 2011.

Referrals and self-referrals are an important part of churning Canadian-issued American Express cards. It is appropriate to discuss how the referral process works in this thread. However, please do not offer or request referrals here.

Use only this thread, and do read the Wikipost carefully before posting:

Referral Offers (post only in this thread, no referral links, read Wiki post first).

JerryHung: I figure I'll include all CURRENT AMEX Canada offers here (no referral links) for anyone curious about what the bonus and fees are
This is not an all-inclusive list, only the "good" offers, so feel free to add new offers

AMEX Platinum - $699/year, 60K MR (via referral) after $1000 spending in 3 months vs. 50K non-referral

AMEX Gold Rewards - $150/year, FYF, 25K MR after $500 spending + $50 cashback from GCR

AMEX Air Miles Platinum - $65/year, FYF, 2000 Air Miles after $500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

New as of 2014/10/09
AMEX Business Gold - $250/year, FYF, 30K MR after $5000 spending (or 40K via referral)

AMEX Business Platinum - $399/year, 40K MR after $5000 spending (or 50K via referral)
Print Wikipost

Churning Amex in Canada (2014)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2014, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by mikeycanuk
PC rules for GC's. Petropoints! And coming up soon for the holidays 2x the PP's on GC's. Plus 2X the MR with the Gold card. I've got $70 in 5c and 10c per litre points card
Come again how does it work ? One buys PC points card with which one can buy gas at specified discounts? And why no all 10c? Just not PC customer that much. And why 2X, is that anticipated special coming up every year?
Old Oct 17, 2014, 7:51 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
You simply join PP. There is an email sign up bonus and you get PP's on gas, surveys, store items and GC's! You basically have to use the PP card with every fill-up and once you have enough PP's you can cash in for a Fuel Savings Reward(FSR) card. It's a card to get either 5c or 10c off per litre of fuel per fill-up.

Why not all 10c, PC had a promo for 1/2 price for 5c on 200L of gas. So instead of 11,000 for 200L it was 5,500. So I loaded up. Only a few months later did they start issuing the 10c cards. 880L @ 5c will take me forever to use.

For instance a GC for $100 nets 2000PP, the holidays net 2X so 4000PP. So if during the promo you spent $525 on GC's, you would get $20 in free gas (21,000PP). I assume they will do the holiday promo again. You also don't need to cash in for a FSR card, you can get lottery tickets and other items.

I've also never had a issue with a GC not working, I did lose a $100 Home Depot GC a few months ago..ouch.

Also PP issues surveys for 1000-3000PP and bonuses for hitting 750-1000L of gas/month.

It's not huge $ but it's free money, especially for GC where you get a little $ back and 2x MR.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 8:05 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
Originally Posted by JJonahJ
Esso, at least in my neck of the woods, no longer accept CC payments for their FIXED denomination gas gift cards. Only cash or debit.
Why? It's not like they are getting dinged twice for merchant fees. I loaded up on PC gas cards during the 3X promo on the newly issued TD Infinite cards. I still have a few $100's cards around.

And Esso gets to keep YOUR cash until the card is redeemed.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 10:56 am

I did a Amex Gold card referral using the Amex Platinum card link (so that I can get the 15k referral bonus versus 10k). A few questions:

1) If the referral does not show up right away, I know the fine print states that it can take up to 8-10 weeks. Has anyone tried sending them an email to get the referral bonus faster and if so, do you simply reference your friend's name?
2) In this scenario, I don't actually have the Amex platinum card. So should I actually avoid emailing them to avoid any suspicion or is this "trick" for a 15k referral widely known?
Old Oct 18, 2014, 11:00 am

Programs: Aeroplan, BONVOY GOLD
Originally Posted by bjywong
I did a Amex Gold card referral using the Amex Platinum card link (so that I can get the 15k referral bonus versus 10k). A few questions:

1) If the referral does not show up right away, I know the fine print states that it can take up to 8-10 weeks. Has anyone tried sending them an email to get the referral bonus faster and if so, do you simply reference your friend's name?
2) In this scenario, I don't actually have the Amex platinum card. So should I actually avoid emailing them to avoid any suspicion or is this "trick" for a 15k referral widely known?
Don't email them. Could ruin it for others that do this.

You will get your points. If the referral doesn't show up right away, it could mean your friend has only be "conditionally" approved, ex: Amex needs to confirm identity first. Even if they have been fully approved.... hold tight, you'll get your points as long as your friend actually used your link!
Old Oct 18, 2014, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by bjywong
In this scenario, I don't actually have the Amex platinum card. So should I actually avoid emailing them to avoid any suspicion or is this "trick" for a 15k referral widely known?
I agree you shouldn't call.

You're being dishonest about which card you have. If they deny you the bonus because their systems recognize that you don't have the Plat card, then you're losing 10k potentially instead of picking up an extra 5k points. Not a great risk/reward, in my opinion. Maybe this "trick" has worked for others, I don't know. Amex's programs are generous enough (vs. other Canadian cards), I don't see the point.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by JJonahJ
Esso, at least in my neck of the woods, no longer accept CC payments for their FIXED denomination gas gift cards. Only cash or debit.

Jerry bought his from Petro Can, which still (for now) take CC payments for their gas GCs.

For variable amounts, I've only done that with the Costco cash cards...if you want a card for $436, then you pay $436 and load that amount into the cash card. So, easy and convenient. But Costco is not part of this promo.
I guess Safeway does not accept Amex for their gift cards, what about Co-op? that it t he only option for me to look at?
Old Oct 20, 2014, 6:34 am
alc

Looking for advice from the expert here again This time, it is about BA Avois.

I was debating where I should post my question, but since the source of my points will most likely coming from AMEX MR and for flights from or to Canada, I will post it here.

My Questions about BA Avois:

- when I login to my account (Cdn address if that make a diff) and perform a search for a reward flight, does the tax show up in CDN / USD or some other currency?

- how easy is BA Avois flight change / cancel policy? as in, do you really just pay the change fee and you get the flight you want? Any tricks on this? Also, can you change it online?

- I heard about the family grouping thing, is it as simple as everyone having the same address on the account can group all their points together to redeem ticket?

If there is a thread that explain all these, please do let me know. I did a very quick search and didn't found any, but I do admit I didn't try very hard :P

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 7:04 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by alc
If there is a thread that explain all these, please do let me know.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...os-2014-a.html
Old Oct 20, 2014, 7:08 am
alc

Thanks.. and I guess I should try harder next time . Thanks again.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 12:58 pm

A question about 40,000 business gold rewards offer. Can I select Costco as a supplier to get 2x points for in-store purchases and then buy costco cash cards in store to manufacture spend before the year end?
Old Oct 20, 2014, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC - E50, CX - G, Accor Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by echino
A question about 40,000 business gold rewards offer. Can I select Costco as a supplier to get 2x points for in-store purchases and then buy costco cash cards in store to manufacture spend before the year end?
Costco is not one of their (very limited list of) suppliers for 2*.

See under Browse Supliers:

https://smallbusiness.americanexpres...ierlist#search
Old Oct 20, 2014, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by echino
Check if Lowe's sells gift cards. They are on the list.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by grandgourmand
Check if Lowe's sells gift cards. They are on the list.
snow blowers and such? no need here .... need more ideas.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 6:04 pm

He's referring to if Lowe's sells gift cards for other companies (like how you can get Home Depot GCs at grocery stores)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.