Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2014, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Hyacinthe
This thread is a continuation of discussion which began HERE in 2011.

Referrals and self-referrals are an important part of churning Canadian-issued American Express cards. It is appropriate to discuss how the referral process works in this thread. However, please do not offer or request referrals here.

Use only this thread, and do read the Wikipost carefully before posting:

Referral Offers (post only in this thread, no referral links, read Wiki post first).

JerryHung: I figure I'll include all CURRENT AMEX Canada offers here (no referral links) for anyone curious about what the bonus and fees are
This is not an all-inclusive list, only the "good" offers, so feel free to add new offers

AMEX Platinum - $699/year, 60K MR (via referral) after $1000 spending in 3 months vs. 50K non-referral

AMEX Gold Rewards - $150/year, FYF, 25K MR after $500 spending + $50 cashback from GCR

AMEX Air Miles Platinum - $65/year, FYF, 2000 Air Miles after $500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

New as of 2014/10/09
AMEX Business Gold - $250/year, FYF, 30K MR after $5000 spending (or 40K via referral)

AMEX Business Platinum - $399/year, 40K MR after $5000 spending (or 50K via referral)
Print Wikipost

Churning Amex in Canada (2014)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2014, 9:10 am

That's too bad about the Aeroplan Gold not having the first year free anymore
I just cancelled my Gold Rewards card today. The CS rep was trying to retain me (I'm sure all of you heard the same). Offered the $100 gift card. I should have asked if was willing to offer the $100 gift card for a new Aeroplan Gold card instead.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 11:31 am

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
Originally Posted by sakura168
I just cancelled my Gold Rewards card today. The CS rep was trying to retain me (I'm sure all of you heard the same). Offered the $100 gift card. I should have asked if was willing to offer the $100 gift card for a new Aeroplan Gold card instead.
$100 gift card almost offsite the annual fee for the Aeroplanplus gold. They probably would not give you that offer.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by Cana2013
$100 gift card almost offsite the annual fee for the Aeroplanplus gold. They probably would not give you that offer.
Yeah, I didn't want to push my luck. I was just happy that he finally ended the call.

I hope AMEX doesn't discontinue the first year free for the Gold Rewards card because I really love this one.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 11:00 am

Programs: AEROPLAN
error

Last edited by AeroLifer; Sep 22, 2014 at 8:13 am
Old Sep 21, 2014, 12:59 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
My Plat personal is coming up on 1 year, I've also got a Gold Rewards which doesn't tick over until the spring.

Annual spend between the two has been $15-20K, but I have another $5K business expense coming up next month.

Anyone got a sense of what's likely in terms of retention offers on the Plat?

Thanks!
Old Sep 22, 2014, 8:04 am

Programs: AEROPLAN
Need New Amex

Originally Posted by jerryhung
Nothing, IMO, besides the free Air Miles welcome bonus (now at 1500, usually 1000 only)

I got mine last year, and few referrals (500 AM/each), and is ~4500 AM now, and will sign up again (+1500) to maybe reach 5400 AM to redeem for a free iPad I think using AM on Flights is a bad deals now, with the latest "we'll include YQ in AM, but increase the AM needed"
my first question / post to the entire forum!!
JerryHung: where did you see the iPad at AM site??? I have hunted and looked and they have no iPad being offered for points. Am I blind? Your help would be so appreciated. Also HUGE thanks for all your work on this AMEX CHURN THREAD .
Old Sep 22, 2014, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by AeroLifer
my first question / post to the entire forum!!
JerryHung: where did you see the iPad at AM site??? I have hunted and looked and they have no iPad being offered for points. Am I blind? Your help would be so appreciated. Also HUGE thanks for all your work on this AMEX CHURN THREAD .
I don't think it's a "regular ongoing" reward/redemption, but it was mentioned on RedFlagDeals.com a few times, let me see if I can find the thread

[Air Miles] iPad Mini Retina 32GB Silver is available for redeem - 5400 reward miles <-- no longer available

Last thread in June 2014
https://www.google.com/search?q=read...com&channel=t2
Old Sep 22, 2014, 9:44 am

Programs: CX Gold/UA*G/HH Gold/Marriott Plt/SPG Gold/
Originally Posted by yvrgary
My Plat personal is coming up on 1 year, I've also got a Gold Rewards which doesn't tick over until the spring.

Annual spend between the two has been $15-20K, but I have another $5K business expense coming up next month.

Anyone got a sense of what's likely in terms of retention offers on the Plat?

Thanks!

I just cancelled with very similar spend, offered 10,000 points.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 2:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sakura168
Thanks. Could you please share that info on http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...on-thread.html
Old Sep 24, 2014, 11:37 am

Programs: Aeroplan, British Airways, Alaska
Originally Posted by markandrew
The referrer gets the 15k for Biz Plat, the referee gets nada, if I could work a swap to get to 55k, I would be in.
I referred myself to the Biz Platinum. I have received the 15,000 referral points and after reading this thread was worried I wouldn't get the 40,000 sign up MR's

Just got off the phone with Amex. Explained I heard conflicting stories and wanted to double check. After a long hold, the agent confirmed that after I spend $5,000 I will see 40,000 MR's on my account.

I will keep you posted..
Old Sep 24, 2014, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by Sean22mac
I referred myself to the Biz Platinum. I have received the 15,000 referral points and after reading this thread was worried I wouldn't get the 40,000 sign up MR's

Just got off the phone with Amex. Explained I heard conflicting stories and wanted to double check. After a long hold, the agent confirmed that after I spend $5,000 I will see 40,000 MR's on my account.

I will keep you posted..
AMEX didn't question your "self referral" at all?
Old Sep 24, 2014, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by jerryhung
AMEX didn't question your "self referral" at all?

No, I just told them a friend referred me.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC - E50, CX - G, Accor Plat, SPG Gold
Please post confirmation upon spending $5k. Thx
Old Sep 25, 2014, 7:51 pm

Hey, first time post. I've been following this thread for a while and finally got my login/password sorted out to post. The Business Platinum, based on my most recent conversation with Amex, does not get you 40k points when you apply via referral. I tested by sending a referral to myself to see if the message said anything about the 40k points. It didn't (while it also offered options to apply for Gold, Plat, Biz Gold all with bonus points highlighted).

I then called the customer service line. At first, the rep seemed to think that the 40k would post after spending $5k. I asked him to check with his supervisor...on hold for a couple minutes...he came back and said "I guess not, maybe apply directly rather than referral".

So if you've applied via referral, I'd consider cancelling early and get the annual fee back, if possible. Getting the card directly @ 1c/point isn't too bad.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by grandgourmand
So if you've applied via referral, I'd consider cancelling early and get the annual fee back, if possible. Getting the card directly @ 1c/point isn't too bad.
I was assured by customer service that I would get the 40,000. I'll report back once I spend the $5K.

Also,

I usually send Plat/Gold referrals from my Platinum but I must have accidently sent one my Aeroplat. A 15,000 referral bonus showed up on my account and I haven't referred anyone to an Aeroplan Card.

I thought you couldn’t refer across cards so I am surprised they gave me the referral points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.