Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 24, 2014, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: pgary
*** Limited time offer ***
Amex EveryDay 15000 MR points after $1000 in 3 months

The 15,000 MR points offer is still available via referral from someone who already has the card. See or ask for this in the discussion. Or look at the Amex referral page: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...posting-3.html.

These are the direct links on americanexpress.com. I have not scoured the internet to seek better offers. Note that both offers include this standard language:

If we identify you as currently having an American Express® Card account, you may not be eligible for this welcome bonus offer. This offer is also not available to applicants who have or have had this product.
Opening the application link in a Private or Incognito browser window, and not supplying any information about existing accounts, should prevent American Express from identifying you as currently having a card during the application process. They can still instantly determine this using your Social Security number, but in practice this may not occur.

Everyday Preferred (Groceries 3X, Gasoline 2X, General 1X; 50% bonus for 30 transactions in a billing cycle): - LINK

EARN 15,000 POINTS
Get 15,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $1,000 in purchases within the first 3 months.†

ANNUAL FEE
$95 Annual Fee
--------------

Everyday (Groceries 2X, General 1X; 20% bonus for 20 transactions in a billing cycle): - LINK

EARN 10,000 POINTS
Get 10,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $1,000 in purchases within the first 3 months.†

ANNUAL FEE
NO ANNUAL FEE
**You can now do a product change from AMEX Blue to the regular fee free AMEX EveryDay card. Unsure about other AMEX products that you can change TO the EveryDay card** This would probably preclude you from receiving any sign-up bonus, but moving from the Blue to this card is a + for some.

Use this calculator to work out whether you're better off with the preferred or regular card.
Print Wikipost

American Express "Everyday" Cards (2014 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2014, 5:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by silver6054
OK, but in your original comment

Yeah, I just checked the MR airline transfer partners and it seems they are mostly scummy ones: Skyteam miles are basically worthless, JetBlue, Virgin and BA are fixed value, while the others I never fly.

I didn't realize you meant "and those that aren't scummy I already have covered" or that you didn't include Virgin and BA as fixed value!
You got me
Old Mar 2, 2014, 5:51 pm

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
I already have the CSP which I used to transfer to BA. Why should I get an AMEX??
My fixed priced comment was mostly directed at JetBlue. Not familiar with the programs of VX, SQ, NH, etc.
NH has a great distance based chart for star alliance which surely beats uniteds gutted chart, and SQ suites or even biz is a great redemption.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Anyone done any estimations on how much it'll take to break even on the fee on Preferred?
Old Mar 2, 2014, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by nall
Anyone done any estimations on how much it'll take to break even on the fee on Preferred?
Very basic math once you tell us your valuation of MR points. Lets say an MR point is worth x cents. You need to make up $95, so you need to earn 9500/x MR. This takes 4.5*Supermarket + 3*Gas + 1.5*Other where you can plug in your numbers, maybe just taking away 27000 if you can max out supermarkets

This is breakeven if you have no other cards. In reality, if you have a no AF card, that will earn rewards as well, and you will need to earn that + $95 to break even.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by silver6054
Very basic math once you tell us your valuation of MR points. Lets say an MR point is worth x cents. You need to make up $95, so you need to earn 9500/x MR. This takes 4.5*Supermarket + 3*Gas + 1.5*Other where you can plug in your numbers, maybe just taking away 27000 if you can max out supermarkets
I meant compared to the No AF version, which earns (potentially?) 2.4*Supermarket + 1.2*Other.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 7:08 pm

I meant compared to the No AF version, which earns (potentially?) 2.4*Supermarket + 1.2*Other.
Let's look at maxing out the supermarket. We are still trying to get 9,500/x extra MR points. Maxing out on the preferred gives us 27,000, on the everyday just 14,400, so that bit alone gives us 12,600. And that is greater than 9600/x even if we value MR at just 1c.

So maxing out groceries is enough. That is the most extreme example. At the other end, if everything is Other, Preferred has a 0.3 advantage. So then the spend has to be around 32,000/x

So $32K spend on everyday earns 38,400 MR, 48,000 on preferred. If you value MR at 1c, that difference makes up for the $95 fee. If you value them at 2c, you need $16K in other spending.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 8:40 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
I'll do the math another way. I'll use supermarket spend alone, since this is the category with the best bonus.

The Everyday card maxes at 2.4 points per dollar on supermarket spend if you hit the 20 swipes per cycle. The Preferred maxes at 4.5 on supermarket spend if you hit 30 swipes per cycle. That is a difference of 2.1 points per dollar spend.

(1) Let's be conservative and value MR points at a penny each (.01), then 2.1 x .01 = .021
Next: 95 / .021 = $4523.81 in supermarket spend to make up the $95 fee

Now let's double check our work:
4523.81 dollars x 2.4 points per dollar = 10857 points
4523.81 dollars x 4.5 points per dollar = 20357 points
20357 - 10857 = 9500 points difference
9500 points x 1 cent per point = 9500 cents = the $95 fee

If I did that right (Will someone please verify my math. Is there a math professor in the house?), then:

(2) If you value MR points at 1.5 cents
2.1 x .015 = .0315
95 / .0315 = $3015.87 in supermarket spend to make up the $95 fee

(3) If you value MR points at 2 cents
2.1 x .02 = .042
95 / .042 = $2261.90 in supermarket spend to make up the $95 fee
Old Mar 2, 2014, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My only concern on this card is, would having the card preclude you from getting the sign up bonus of a PRG, for example? Because the language on the 12 months clause of PRG, includes all the Membership Reward earning cards.

Otherwise, the Everyday card is a good card to warehouse MR points which you do not want to transfer out just yet.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
I don't think I will even make 20 swipes/month. Most business in my neighborhood don't accept AMEX. Only the grocery store. And I ain't wasting gas to drive to the grocery store every day to buy a token amount of stuff.
Why do you think this way?

You can simply break up your grocery purchases into several groups and tell the cashier you want to pay them in different transactions.

I have a Chase Premium business checking which I opened with 25K CO miles a few years back. The account requires $5K? minimum balance to keep it free from monthly fee. Yet, 5 swipes of the debit card also achieve that. Further more, anything links to this Premium business checking, also avoid any monthly fee without the need to maintain a monthly balance.

The 5 swipes per month essentially get free banking of both a Premium business checking and a personal checking with Chase.

I generally achieve the 5 swipes x 2 (we have 2 such accounts) on one to two trips to the grocery store. Go at some non-busy time and just buy 5 items pay 5 times. Done in 3 minutes.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 12:41 am
Original Poster

This image was posted on an Amex forum:

Old Mar 3, 2014, 6:01 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Happy
...would having the card preclude you from getting the sign up bonus of a PRG, for example? Because the language on the 12 months clause of PRG, includes all the Membership Reward earning cards.
The current Gold and Platinum card offers mentions "charge cards", not all cards which participate in Membership Rewards. The Everyday products are credit cards. There are already some credit cards which participate in full Membership Rewards. We have no way of knowing how American Express will alter the terms of future offers.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 6:12 am
mia

Originally Posted by mia
[*]There is no indication that the free card participates in full Membership Rewards rather than Membership Rewards Express.
This press release mentions the ability to transfer points, earned with the free card, to airlines. This confirms that the free card participates in standard Membership Rewards. This makes the card valuable because it can preserve a Membership Rewards balance earned by churning Gold or Platinum cards. However, Happy raises a good point about the possibility that holding either of these cards could disqualify the cardholder from bonus offers on other cards if the terms are changed slightly.

Redeem points for a variety of rewards, including using them towards recent charges with Use Points for Charges*4, redeeming for gift cards or merchandise, using them towards purchases at Amazon.com and Ticketmaster and booking travel at amextravel.com, or transferring them for miles in the frequent flyer programs of 17 different airlines.
Also explicitly confirmed in this Bloomberg article

Customers will have access to the full rewards program, which includes perks like transferring travel points that aren’t available on other AmEx products that don’t have an annual fee such as Blue, the firm said.

Last edited by mia; Mar 18, 2014 at 8:15 am Reason: Repair link
Old Mar 3, 2014, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by Happy
My only concern on this card is, would having the card preclude you from getting the sign up bonus of a PRG, for example? Because the language on the 12 months clause of PRG, includes all the Membership Reward earning cards.
That was my concern with this as well. I guess we'll have to see how it plays out. I'll definitely convert another Amex to the no annual fee MR rewards card if it doesn't preclude sign up bonuses.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 8:20 am

Some of us, at least myself, have got the welcome bonuses for PRG, Plat, MB Plat and Business gold. So my understading is that Amex will not give me another bonus since I am an existing Amex cardholder, even after 12 months of canceling the older cards. So I have nothing to lose in getting this card?
Old Mar 3, 2014, 8:37 am
mia

Originally Posted by bobby21
...my understading is that Amex will not give me another bonus since I am an existing Amex cardholder, even after 12 months of canceling the older cards.
This is incorrect. You need to read the terms of the specific offer to understand which cards might disqualify you from obtaining a bonus, but in general if you have not held the same card, or any personal card linked to the same rewards program, for a year you are eligible. There are nuanced exceptions which make it possible to obtain some cards sooner, and there are strategies for alternating between personal and business cards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.