Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 24, 2014, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: pgary
*** Limited time offer ***
Amex EveryDay 15000 MR points after $1000 in 3 months

The 15,000 MR points offer is still available via referral from someone who already has the card. See or ask for this in the discussion. Or look at the Amex referral page: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...posting-3.html.

These are the direct links on americanexpress.com. I have not scoured the internet to seek better offers. Note that both offers include this standard language:

If we identify you as currently having an American Express® Card account, you may not be eligible for this welcome bonus offer. This offer is also not available to applicants who have or have had this product.
Opening the application link in a Private or Incognito browser window, and not supplying any information about existing accounts, should prevent American Express from identifying you as currently having a card during the application process. They can still instantly determine this using your Social Security number, but in practice this may not occur.

Everyday Preferred (Groceries 3X, Gasoline 2X, General 1X; 50% bonus for 30 transactions in a billing cycle): - LINK

EARN 15,000 POINTS
Get 15,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $1,000 in purchases within the first 3 months.†

ANNUAL FEE
$95 Annual Fee
--------------

Everyday (Groceries 2X, General 1X; 20% bonus for 20 transactions in a billing cycle): - LINK

EARN 10,000 POINTS
Get 10,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $1,000 in purchases within the first 3 months.†

ANNUAL FEE
NO ANNUAL FEE
**You can now do a product change from AMEX Blue to the regular fee free AMEX EveryDay card. Unsure about other AMEX products that you can change TO the EveryDay card** This would probably preclude you from receiving any sign-up bonus, but moving from the Blue to this card is a + for some.

Use this calculator to work out whether you're better off with the preferred or regular card.
Print Wikipost

American Express "Everyday" Cards (2014 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2014, 8:45 am

Programs: IHG, American airlines , BA club and others
Amex Everyday Preferred is a great choice for low spenders or most families IMO. I'm talking about those, who put 24K or less on credit cards per year and don't do any m/s. Yes, those people do exist! You could potentially get close to 60K in Membership Rewards per year just through your regular spending. Short haul Avios awards (especially when Amex runs bonus on transfers) would represent huge value for most near AA hub.
Not to mention, you could redeem for travel, getting at least 1 cent per point in value or redeem for various gift cards. This is a great card and would be my top choice if I didn't churn for bonuses.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by milesforfamily
Amex Everyday Preferred is a great choice for low spenders or most families IMO. I'm talking about those, who put 24K or less on credit cards per year and don't do any m/s.
I would say exactly the opposite. The Everyday Preferred appears to beat the PRG in almost every situation (see my spreadsheet a few posts up for an example).
Old Mar 7, 2014, 9:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by aw82
I would say exactly the opposite. The Everyday Preferred appears to beat the PRG in almost every situation (see my spreadsheet a few posts up for an example).
Which is the thing that is most mindboggling for me. Why would AMEX cannibalize its own card?
Old Mar 7, 2014, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
Which is the thing that is most mindboggling for me. Why would AMEX cannibalize its own card?
I think its just part of a down-market shift AmEx is making, trying to reach the meat of the market, not just the tip of it like they have in the past. The Blue cards started the trend. They're also doing this with Serve and Bluebird, which technically targeted toward the low-income "unbanked" (but loved by mileage freaks).

It makes sense to me, from a consumer's perspective. AmEx is hard enough to use, but if they make it lucrative enough, I'll put up with the lack of blue square stickers on most cash registers.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 9:40 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by mashinhead
that is nowhere on AMEX's site, nowhere in press releases, and nowhere in ad materials.
Yes it is. Go here:

https://community.americanexpress.com/thread/4201

Click the graphic to see all of it. Read the thread, which is hosted on americanexpress.com and which includes posts by American Express employees.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
Sure, but I still don't see how.
Someone has never been to the Manufactured Spend forum.

I spend $60k a year on "groceries". Nevermind the $200k+ in other manufactured spend.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by aw82
I'm not sure, I'd call someone who spends close to 6K per month a low spender. Once again, I referred to those who put 24K per year on credit cards and don't do any m/s or pay mortgage through Bluebird. That would describe most families in America.
Amex Gold PRG is only of use for those who spend more than 30K per year and maximize grocery spend to get 2X points.
IMO the people I described (that would include me) is who Amex is after with the new card. Therefore "Everyday" moniker.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 12:17 pm

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
Any idea if these will be charge cards or credit cards? Otherwise it may be hard to downgrade our plats and PRGs to this card to keep points.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 12:22 pm

@exmike Credit cards.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 12:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by hamhead
Someone has never been to the Manufactured Spend forum.

I spend $60k a year on "groceries". Nevermind the $200k+ in other manufactured spend.
I have been to the MS forum. Problem is, none of my local stores allow the purchase of reload cards with credit cards.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 12:28 pm

30 charges per month for Preferred

I think it is unrealistic to think that everyday consumers much lest miles enthusiasts could justify the annual fee of the Preferred version of the card by putting 30 charges a month on it.

The main value I see is for a no annual fee vehicle to keep membership rewards points alive.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 12:40 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by restonva
I think it is unrealistic to think that everyday consumers much lest miles enthusiasts could justify the annual fee of the Preferred version of the card by putting 30 charges a month on it.
I think the rationale for Amex is that they are targeting a consumer who charges everything, even small purchases. Someone who charges a coffee in the morning and then lunch each work day would have approx. 40 charges a month just on those two items alone.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by restonva

The main value I see is for a no annual fee vehicle to keep membership rewards points alive.
I agree with DW. Besides, it really wouldn't be all that hard to make sure, you charge the required number of purchases. Plus, you can always buy 1 dollar Amazon gift cards from the comfort of your home, if needed.
It is a worthwhile product for those, who don't like to keep track of too many cards. Just use Everyday Preferred for everything and have a Visa or Mastercard in your wallet just in case.
It is targeted towards a middle class family, who likes to have the option of miles transfer. Heck, even if you redeem for gift cards, it's still a good deal. I wouldn't, obviously, but it's nice to have the option.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by milesforfamily
I'm not sure, I'd call someone who spends close to 6K per month a low spender. Once again, I referred to those who put 24K per year on credit cards and don't do any m/s or pay mortgage through Bluebird. That would describe most families in America.
Amex Gold PRG is only of use for those who spend more than 30K per year and maximize grocery spend to get 2X points.
IMO the people I described (that would include me) is who Amex is after with the new card. Therefore "Everyday" moniker.
OK, but my point is that the Everyday Card could still be great for big spenders...people charging $30k, 50k, 100k per year would reap major benefits if they hit 30 swipes.

And why bother with $1 Amazon gift cards? Why not just multiple $1 Amazon payments at the end of the month to hit your 30?
Old Mar 7, 2014, 1:30 pm

@ aw82 I apologize, originally I didn't understand the point you were making. It makes sense now. Yes, that card could be a good fit for many people with different spending patterns. As far as Amazon, whatever works is fine. Most people don't do AP, I was just trying to say it would be very easy to hit 30 charges.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.