Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 24, 2014, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: pgary
*** Limited time offer ***
Amex EveryDay 15000 MR points after $1000 in 3 months

The 15,000 MR points offer is still available via referral from someone who already has the card. See or ask for this in the discussion. Or look at the Amex referral page: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...posting-3.html.

These are the direct links on americanexpress.com. I have not scoured the internet to seek better offers. Note that both offers include this standard language:

If we identify you as currently having an American Express Card account, you may not be eligible for this welcome bonus offer. This offer is also not available to applicants who have or have had this product.
Opening the application link in a Private or Incognito browser window, and not supplying any information about existing accounts, should prevent American Express from identifying you as currently having a card during the application process. They can still instantly determine this using your Social Security number, but in practice this may not occur.

Everyday Preferred (Groceries 3X, Gasoline 2X, General 1X; 50% bonus for 30 transactions in a billing cycle): - LINK

EARN 15,000 POINTS
Get 15,000 Membership Rewards points after you use your new Card to make $1,000 in purchases within the first 3 months.

ANNUAL FEE
$95 Annual Fee
--------------

Everyday (Groceries 2X, General 1X; 20% bonus for 20 transactions in a billing cycle): - LINK

EARN 10,000 POINTS
Get 10,000 Membership Rewards points after you use your new Card to make $1,000 in purchases within the first 3 months.

ANNUAL FEE
NO ANNUAL FEE
**You can now do a product change from AMEX Blue to the regular fee free AMEX EveryDay card. Unsure about other AMEX products that you can change TO the EveryDay card** This would probably preclude you from receiving any sign-up bonus, but moving from the Blue to this card is a + for some.

Use this calculator to work out whether you're better off with the preferred or regular card.
Print Wikipost

American Express "Everyday" Cards (2014 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2014, 3:59 am
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Discussion of backdating new card accounts moved:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ber-since.html
Old Mar 15, 2014, 9:08 pm

Programs: DL, SPG, UA.
Assuming it is easy for one to hit 30 transaction in a month on everyday / grocery / gas spend, i am having a hard time finding a better card for these spend categories (outside of signup bonuses).

I have moved away from MR the last few years and viewed them as effectively orphan miles as DL and VX are the only transfer partners which i fly on and I find it hard to earn enough MR for the awards i want on the other carriers. This card may change that. However, from the post thus far, I seem to be in the minority.

Why would one not use this card for non-bonus / grocery / gas spend (assuming the 50% multiplier was a given)?
Old Mar 16, 2014, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by jalm1
Assuming it is easy for one to hit 30 transaction in a month on everyday / grocery / gas spend, i am having a hard time finding a better card for these spend categories (outside of signup bonuses).

I have moved away from MR the last few years and viewed them as effectively orphan miles as DL and VX are the only transfer partners which i fly on and I find it hard to earn enough MR for the awards i want on the other carriers. This card may change that. However, from the post thus far, I seem to be in the minority.

Why would one not use this card for non-bonus / grocery / gas spend (assuming the 50% multiplier was a given)?
You can get 5x UR on the Freedom half the year and gas cards at stores that hit other spending categories for the other half. If you have the ink, then your gas can come from there.

That basically makes the everyday a grocery card up to 6k spend. 1.5 MR for everything else is debatable. I could imagine using the SPG card if I wanted an everyday spend card with miles redemption.

+21k points for an extra fee card isn't a bad tradeoff, don't get me wrong. But the advantages are not as good as it may seem if you juggle multiple cards
Old Mar 16, 2014, 6:00 pm

Programs: IHG, American airlines , BA club and others
@linuxmachine I think you nailed it when you said the advantages are not as good as they may seem if you juggle multiple cards. Many just don't want to do that, as in juggle multiple cards. Besides, INK is a business card, so many wouldn't get it for that reason alone. And keeping track of gift cards is kind of a pain.
I really think Amex is going after low spenders with this Everyday card. However, it may kill off Gold in the process.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by milesforfamily
@linuxmachine I think you nailed it when you said the advantages are not as good as they may seem if you juggle multiple cards. Many just don't want to do that, as in juggle multiple cards. Besides, INK is a business card, so many wouldn't get it for that reason alone. And keeping track of gift cards is kind of a pain.
I really think Amex is going after low spenders with this Everyday card. However, it may kill off Gold in the process.
My guess is amex will beef up the charge card perks... they will be losing a lot of gold/green accounts for the no fee everyday card, and that's a lot of money.

As for the everyday card being truly an everyday card, you will still juggle cards as amex is not accepted everywhere. Plus it's somewhat of a catch22. You're getting the everyday card to maximize rewards. But if that is your goal, juggling 2 or 3 is better. People who get the everyday preferred version will likely juggle a few cards anyways. Such is the cycle : p
Old Mar 16, 2014, 7:02 pm

Programs: IHG, American airlines , BA club and others
It's true that you would need to have a Visa or Mastercard just in case, so I guess there would be some juggling involved. The difference is, you wouldn't have to think about what card to use where, as with Freedom. Basically, if Amex is accepted, you are all set. It's for people who like to keep it simple, which isn't a bad thing really. Personally, I constantly churn for bonuses, so won't be getting the card for that reason. Not enough incentive. However, Amex Everyday Preferred would be my top pick for everyday spending.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by milesforfamily
my INK is the bread and butter in my strategy. found out lately an office supplier near by have gas and grocery gift cards so my groceries and gas are 5x UR points...yes its a hassle to keep gift cards and all but i got a system down now that works...the extra little hassle is worth it for me.

i haven't collected MR points since i hada the gold a few years back where i got 50k bonus then another 50k upgrade to platinum. got lucky that year cause i got the 15k bonus for the 30k spend ( unfortunately i didn't know better on what to do with the points and took the 1 cent airline credit ).

will be curious to see if this will make it in my wallet. i may have my wife get it as she's building credit .
Old Mar 18, 2014, 8:22 am
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Originally Posted by dw
I think the rationale for Amex is that they are targeting a consumer who charges everything, even small purchases.
Not even that, American Express says:

The Amex EveryDay Credit Card was designed with the multi-tasker in mind, like busy moms juggling family, work and their personal lives...."The average American uses their credit or debit card twice a day, and shops most within 20 minutes of their home," added [Josh Silverman, president, Consumer Products & Services, American Express]. "So we designed a card that doesn't require you to change your daily ritual – but rewards you for where you already shop."
In another article an American Express representative mentioned that the card would be marketed to a demographic which largely thinks that American Express has no product for them, and believes that American Express still only issues (pay in full) charge cards. I don't think they foresee Everyday seriously cannibalizing Premier Rewards Gold.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 11:49 am

Applied and approved for AMEX Everyday Preferred at 1230 CST.

Edit: Called 866-314-0237 after getting the "pending status" screen and auto rep mentioned that the application was approved and expect card in 7-10 business days.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 12:25 pm
mia

Originally Posted by JWEMTX
Applied and approved ...
Thank you. I have created a crude Wikipost with links to the product pages and applications. I have not searched to see if better offers are available elsewhere.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 12:36 pm

Called this morning to see if they would do a change from blue cash over to this card, but it wasn't listed as an option for the representative. The large list of all the other credit cards was listed, so I wonder if its just an integration thing.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 12:37 pm

PC?

Has anyone been successful in product changing to this card yet?
Old Mar 24, 2014, 12:52 pm

approved!!!

Applied and approved. but only with $5000 CL. and be told that I can request CL increase after 60 days. does it do any hard pull for CL increase request?
Old Mar 24, 2014, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA Gold, US Silver, Starwood Gold, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by flowfaster
Has anyone been successful in product changing to this card yet?
Chatted with an online rep to try a PC from a BCE card and no luck at the moment, but was told to stay tuned for when the card finally launches in April. In a few days, there should be an update whether a PC is possible.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 3:41 pm

I'm having a hard time understanding why one would not move all of their spend to this new Everyday Preferred card from the Platinum card. I understand this is being marketed to people that will not be putting large amounts of spend on the card, but why would one not move 100k+, 200k+, etc. annual spend from the Platinum card to this card? Am I missing something? Even if you want to keep the Platinum for the benefits....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.