Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex (USA) refuses to honor signup bonus [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex (USA) refuses to honor signup bonus [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2013, 5:09 pm

Wow

I had no idea that they were this bad. I'm going to try the Twitter approach - maybe I can get some results that way (or at least warn others about Amex' business practices - astonishing)
Old Dec 30, 2013, 6:31 pm

Programs: I'll take whatever points I can get...
Originally Posted by schneider4
I had no idea that they were this bad. I'm going to try the Twitter approach - maybe I can get some results that way (or at least warn others about Amex' business practices - astonishing)
Dang! That sucks, as that seems to be a pretty standard product and bonus
Old Dec 30, 2013, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by schneider4
Hi -

I signed up for the Amex SPG card in July 2013. The deal that I signed up for was 10K points on first purchase, with 15K more points after spending $5,000 in 6 months. I neglected to screenshot what I saw (shame on me for that one), and now I'm getting a runaround from Amex - their position is that this offer wasn't available at that time (although they acknowledge that it was before and after - it's even available now).

Any suggestions on how to proceed? I've called in, but their customer service folks don't seem to be terribly interested (or able) to resolve this. How do I find someone at Amex who cares?

Thanks for any insight...
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...l#post22054452

Read post 2182 if you have any other Amex PERSONAL cards

Last edited by flyer4512; Dec 30, 2013 at 11:16 pm
Old Jan 13, 2014, 4:48 pm

For those of you who obtain assurance from AMEX before you spend to get your bonus, here is my story (started in a previous post, now with new updated information!):

Received a targeted 100,000 MR offer for business platinum. Approved in early September, went on chat with AMEX to confirm offer and received confirmation in mid September (exact quote from chat "Suzanne: Yes you're correct if you spend $10,000 in eligible purchases are made within the first 3 months you would get 100,000 Membership Rewards points.), processed $10,000 threshold transaction in mid October, did not receive bonus. Statement with transaction posted on Friday (Nov 15), pending base points for transaction posted today, still no bonus. Went back on chat where they told me that I could not get the bonus because I have a gold business AMEX. Pointed them to the previous chat (also have a copy of it myself) and also noted that this platinum is for a sole proprietorship, where my gold is for my LLC (two different tax ID numbers). Chat rep has passed it along to the appropriate department for review. Supposed to hear the result within 30 days.
Now the new information. AMEX never responded to this chat, so I contacted them by chat again on Dec 17. Repeated all of the informatioon and that I had been promised that someone would contact me within 30 days and nobody had. They repeated that it didn't matter that it was a different business, didn't matter that they had confirmed that i would receive the points, and didn't matter that I had paid $189 to process the $10,000 transaction (for taxes). I asked them for the name of their regulator so that I could file a complaint. They immediately advised that a supervisor would be contacting me within 48 hours.
Did I get a call within 48 hours, of course not! They called on December 24, after I had left the country, so I did not call them back until Jan 6, then 7th, then 8th, because the phone number they left me to call back on was busy for the first two days(!). When I talked to the person at the number, they made me repeat the whole thing, then she repeated the exact same things as the others and explained that she couldn't give me the reward points, she did not have the authority. Apparently, if I was transferred to a supervisor, she sure wasn't very far up. When she found out that I had spent $189 on the word of their employee (who she repeatedly assured me had been disciplined, like I would want her to be), she said she would call me back the next day with someone who had the authority to give me the points. She called late the next day, conferenced in someone else that she thought had the authority to make a decision. He advised that all he could do was fill out a report and I would hear their decision no later than 5 days (that would be today), so he had no authority either.
So I have been chasing my tail for 4 months now and am no closer to a resolution. The long and the short of it; Even if you have it unambiguously in writing, AMEX does not care and will not live up to what they have promised you.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 10:24 pm

Even though I was dealing with just 1/4 of the Membership Rewards points, we had the same experience. I had everything printed, verifiable, and it was unambiguous. They really just don't care. They're unapologetic, stubborn, and don't seem interested that their reputation is tarnished on threads like this one.

No, I didn't have huge plans for 25,000 points. It's not terribly valuable. This was a matter of principle. They sent me a targeted promotional offer, and then failed to honor it without reason.

It's a combination of arrogance and ineptitude that I find revolting.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by farnorthtrader
The long and the short of it; Even if you have it unambiguously in writing, AMEX does not care and will not live up to what they have promised you.
Originally Posted by Mats
... we had the same experience. I had everything printed, verifiable, and it was unambiguous.
I am intrigued about the "having it in writing" bit. Every offer I've received in the past year or more has had wording (in the notes/fine print) that restricts signup bonuses to those who have not had an active equivalent card in the past 3 months or the same sort of card in the past year. I am not doubting your experiences but it's not what I've seen.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 11:32 pm

I'm aware of those restrictions, but I didn't have a similar or equivalent card. I had no AMEX account at all.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by Mats
I'm aware of those restrictions, but I didn't have a similar or equivalent card. I had no AMEX account at all.
It really surprises me that AMEX would give you no explanation whatsoever, that would certainly constitute a poor CS experience. Not to drag this out but did you try to elevate this to a supervisor?
Old Jan 13, 2014, 11:44 pm

Yep, I wrote to the VP for Customer Relations, filed a complaint with the BBB, and a complaint with the FTC (the latter doesn't handle individual complaints.) They really just blew me off.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 7:36 am

Programs: AA Gold
Thumbs down so over AX

Same experience for me, about a year ago. I tried for 3 months to get the bonus points to no avail. So I cashed in all MR points for a biz class trip to Borneo for 2, canceled all AX cards except SPG one (I need an AX for Costco shopping and have 400K + SPG points) and will never get an AX card again. I also stopped taking AX at my business.

Last edited by susiesan; Jan 14, 2014 at 10:01 am
Old Jan 14, 2014, 9:43 am

I finally got my 15k bonus on my SPG after 4 calls into support. Twice they escalated to their marketing team, never got a call back but was told when I called in again they would not honor it.

I called again last night, asked to be transferred to a manager. She looked up the link I mentioned (deal is still active on SPG site), she said I met the 5k/spent and went ahead and awarded me the points. Should not have been that much of a hassle, first bad experience I have had with AMEX but at least I finally got the points.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 10:04 am

I am not sure if I commented on this thread but if you are a long time and loyal customer of Amex they are very good at customer service. I know Amex has a CSR script that says "thank for being a Amex cardmember since....." but Amex usually will try and make a loyal customer happy within reason. That said anyone who opens a card and just makes the spend requirement and gets caught up in the fine print...Good luck
Old Jan 14, 2014, 12:45 pm

I don't see any sign of them awarding loyalty. I have been dealing with them for roughly 20 years (Canada and US). I have probably put through about $100,000 on their cards just in the past year or so (real spending, no manufactured), plus am an AMEX merchant, so have processed roughly $50,000 for them over the past year and I had the confirmation in writing and have received nothing for my loyalty but 4 months of frustration.
From what I have seen, they are great to deal with as long as you agree with everything they say.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by farnorthtrader

Went back on chat where they told me that I could not get the bonus because I have a gold business AMEX. Pointed them to the previous chat (also have a copy of it myself) and also noted that this platinum is for a sole proprietorship, where my gold is for my LLC (two different tax ID numbers).
The question is if Amex cares that it's 2 different businesses. The language says applicant and you are the same applicant.

Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have had this product or any other Business Gold or Green Card account within the last 12 months.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 4:06 pm

Which was exactly why I contacted them via chat before I proceeded with the transaction, to confirm that the account was eligible. They responded with this:
"Suzanne: Yes you're correct if you spend $10,000 in eligible purchases are made within the first 3 months you would get 100,000 Membership Rewards points."
Not sure how there could be wiggle room in this statement, it seems unambiguous to me, but they really don't seem to care what they said.
If they had told me in that chat that my business platinum account was not eligible, I would have paid the IRS from my bank account and would have had no issue with AMEX.
I am mostly here to warn people that even if they get it in writing, AMEX will still not honor it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.