Search

USA Centurion now "Invitation Only"

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2009, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by platinumpizza
blackpizza? Burnedpizza? Pizzatit?metalpizza? Lol
titanium_taco!
Old Oct 16, 2009, 10:56 am

I would not read too much into Centurion going (back) to an invitation only basis.

This could just mean AMEX is streamlining the Centurion Card issuing process.

It makes much more sense to have an automated invitation sent out to those who qualify for the card rather than to have to constantly answer calls about the card's requirements, putting people on hold, running the requsite qualification reports, telling callers "yes" or "no", and in the case of a "no", then having to answer all kinds of questions about "what do I have to do now to get one", etc.

If true, this is a logical, money saving move on the part of AMEX.

Hey, there's a first for everything!
Old Oct 16, 2009, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by Avalon28
I would not read too much into Centurion going (back) to an invitation only basis.

It makes much more sense to have an automated invitation sent out to those who qualify for the card rather than to have to constantly answer calls about the card's requirements, putting people on hold, running the requsite qualification reports, telling callers "yes" or "no", and in the case of a "no", then having to answer all kinds of questions about "what do I have to do now to get one", etc.

Yeah, but if this was the case, wouldn't the OP have gotten an invitation already? I'm wondering if the criteria have changed, too.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 11:42 am
Original Poster

This is exactly what I am thinking and thats why I said maybe they are moving more toward the way of the platinum and coming out with a different product?? They said they send out batches of invitations
Old Oct 16, 2009, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyz-kin
titanium_taco!
hahahaha!

taco and pizza??? whats the comparison?
Old Oct 16, 2009, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by platinumPizza
This is exactly what I am thinking and thats why I said maybe they are moving more toward the way of the platinum and coming out with a different product?? They said they send out batches of invitations
I'm not sure I understand what you are talking about...

If you are thinking AMEX is coming out with a higher end card than Centurion, then the answer is a resounding "No Way!"

BTW, what would they call such a card?

Maybe the "Centurion Extreme Elite Incredible Triple Plus Mega Ultra Card"?
Old Oct 16, 2009, 7:46 pm

I'm not sure I understand what you are talking about...

If you are thinking AMEX is coming out with a higher end card than Centurion, then the answer is a resounding "No Way!"

BTW, what would they call such a card?

Maybe the "Centurion Extreme Elite Incredible Triple Plus Mega Ultra Card"?
It's called the Uranium Reach-Around and it is coming out next month. Targeted to those spending $5MM+/yr.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 11:04 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
Originally Posted by LAXRuss
Sorry for any confusion-- didn't mean that you should necessarily go ask an AMEX travel office to issue you an emergency green replacement card for a blk cent. Just to clarify, my understanding is that AMEX U.S. will not issue green cards attached to a Cent account but Amex Germany, Amex UK, Amex IDC and IEC will all issue green additional cards on a Cent account at the cardmember's request.
Thanks for the clarification - I called just a few minutes ago and they said they could give me a 30-day green card for travel use, which is useful, although they said that some of them don't have a mag stripe, which would be a total drag for a retail person trying to ring me up.

They said for $40 they would send a gold card as an additional card, but I've come full-circle and like the plain 'ol green one.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 4:53 am

Programs: QFF LTG , HHD
Originally Posted by platinumPizza

I am pissed so I went to cancel all my cards and of-course they hung up.
Why am i reminded of that old Groucho Marx line: "PLEASE ACCEPT MY RESIGNATION. I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER".
Old Oct 17, 2009, 4:39 pm

Post Starwood card makes a great second card

I use my Starwood American Express card for most everything. Only when I need a Centurion perk do I use the Centurion Card. Starwood points have more uses than American Express points. The Starwood card is free the first year and costs $45 (I think) a year after that.

I do not like to flash my Centurion card. But if I am buying something expensive and want the extra warranty, I use it. Recently had a large screen TV misbehave. Amex was there for me. Scheduled a repair person to the house. Then I found the loose power cord.

Anyhow, consider the Starwood card. We love the hotel options and the 25% bonus when you transfer 20,000 miles to an airline.

As for my Centurion card, it saves me the pain and expense of mileage runs while giving me mid-level status on multiple airlines. Most everything else is available with the platinum card.

Hope you get your invitation soon OP.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 7:20 pm

I think they are coming out with the "Uranus" card - and many people will be ticked that they can't join that exclusive club.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 8:09 pm
Original Member

Programs: United Premier 1K, American AAdvantage Gold
I handed mine back, and never noticed the difference. Any high end establishment, if it's still open, will give you anything the Black Card does, if you spend money. AMEX is choking on bad debt from people they extended credit to, who have leveraged themselves into oblivion. The only thing worse than this product, are the customer service schmucks, who big time you on the phone from a cubicle in Ft. Lauderdale, then go home in a Kia. This is a wannabe product (and I was guilty of that, too). Real rich guys have a green one, or pay cash. Many have never even heard of it.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by deelmakur
. This is a wannabe product (and I was guilty of that, too). Real rich guys have a green one, or pay cash. Many have never even heard of it.
You have no idea what you are talking about. In paticular there are many Centurion holders who put the card away once they get it and use another card like the Amex Starwood and now you have the Hilton Surpass. If you actually read this thread you would find a poster who has the card but uses Amex Starwood. I know quite a few card holders who do the same. Do not get the wrong impression and think all Centurion holders use the card for status. If you had actually had the card you may have used it for flash but you can actually save money with Centurion.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by deelmakur
I handed mine back, and never noticed the difference. Any high end establishment, if it's still open, will give you anything the Black Card does, if you spend money. AMEX is choking on bad debt from people they extended credit to, who have leveraged themselves into oblivion. The only thing worse than this product, are the customer service schmucks, who big time you on the phone from a cubicle in Ft. Lauderdale, then go home in a Kia. This is a wannabe product (and I was guilty of that, too). Real rich guys have a green one, or pay cash. Many have never even heard of it.
deelmakur,

Thanks for your classy, informative post.

I'm sorry those pesky AMEX customer service reps in small cars took advantage of your desire to look cool.

BTW, is the "schmuck" reference a racial or religious insult?
Old Oct 17, 2009, 10:41 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum/ DL Silver
If AMEX is dropping something better than the centurion card then clearly it would have to be " uranium 235". and it won't be the a roman on the card anymore, it'll be Enrico Fermi.

Personally, I don't understand the fascination with the black amex; granted i don't have one either. My platinum one suits me just fine. The lounge access is the most critical issue in my book and the fact that I will always be at least starwoods gold.

Whoever made the comment about paying with cash or just using one of their lesser cards is so right IMO. What's the point in paying $7500/ yr just to let people know you have money? It's like you're painting yourself as a mark.

Last edited by FireforEffect; Oct 17, 2009 at 10:43 pm Reason: syntax

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.