Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LUS: The ugly truth about LUS ("West" 757) First Class service to Hawaii

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LUS: The ugly truth about LUS ("West" 757) First Class service to Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2015, 2:12 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Good question. Hawaii is typically a leisure market, though, so not much demand/motivation for better seats. Additionally, this is pmUS. If you want power and (almost) lie-flats, go with DFW-HNL next time.

Question: what did you get as dessert options? Also, was there a prearrival meal?
Old Jul 21, 2015, 2:20 pm

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Gold, US Airways silver
Preflight beverage?

Old Jul 21, 2015, 3:31 pm

Well if you have a time machine you can go back to America West PHX >HNL 747 service which was the best. Your name was on your First Class seat before you boarded and thye had someone called something like a "silent server" that just carved the meat. Not joking.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 3:40 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
It is awful I am afraid. Many are using it as it gets more BA Tier Points from JFK than routing through LAX.

I have done it once now and use schedule changes to move away from it as often as possible. I have one more trip on this plane before year end.

Sleep, is about the only option that makes it bearable.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 4:30 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
As this thread is specific to US, I'll move to the US forum.

Otherwise, we do have a lengthy thread in the US forum which has tons of info on the aircraft which fly PHX-Hawaii:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...er-thread.html

aztimm
Old Jul 21, 2015, 7:52 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by ITravelElite
First class PHX to Honolulu
This is a joke. Plane is a 757 about 20 years old. No Wifi or power connection in first class. Food is terrible. I don't know why they named this first class. 6 hours of drama quality.
For 6 hours why don't they use a flat lie configuration?
To be fair, what other airlines offer flat seating up front from West coast USA to Hawaii? I didn't think AA 757's from LAX have it unless that's changed recently. Does Hawaiian even have lie flat seats on their wide bodies? The lack of seat power is a relic of the era this plane was refurbished (15 years ago?).

Hawaii is not a competitive market for premium fare passengers at all. A typical flight is full of low-fare seeking passengers, group/tour bookings and award redemptions. It seems to be the route that airlines send aircraft to just fly with minimal investment until they're ready to retire the birds.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by PHL
To be fair, what other airlines offer flat seating up front from West coast USA to Hawaii? I didn't think AA 757's from LAX have it unless that's changed recently.
They do not. Neither does AS. Neither does DL.

AS's 738s/739s have power... but let's see, put a plane with lie flats on a route like West Coast-HNL where the F fares are maybe around $1000-2000 (if that), or the J fare is $3000-5000.... hmm, this is really complicated math...

As if BA/LH flies lie-flat planes to TFS...

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 23, 2015 at 1:17 pm Reason: Close quote
Old Jul 23, 2015, 8:57 am

Programs: WFBF
Originally Posted by PHL
To be fair, what other airlines offer flat seating up front from West coast USA to Hawaii? I didn't think AA 757's from LAX have it unless that's changed recently. Does Hawaiian even have lie flat seats on their wide bodies? The lack of seat power is a relic of the era this plane was refurbished (15 years ago?).

Hawaii is not a competitive market for premium fare passengers at all. A typical flight is full of low-fare seeking passengers, group/tour bookings and award redemptions. It seems to be the route that airlines send aircraft to just fly with minimal investment until they're ready to retire the birds.
I've flown F to Hawaii on both US and AA metal. The AA 757s out of LAX aren't really noticeably better.

And really, nobody flies international-style widebodies from the west coast to Hawaii; for the reason you listed, those routes tend to be a dumping ground for planes that haven't had a refurb in 20 years or so.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 1:22 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by ubernostrum
I've flown F to Hawaii on both US and AA metal. The AA 757s out of LAX aren't really noticeably better.

And really, nobody flies international-style widebodies from the west coast to Hawaii; for the reason you listed, those routes tend to be a dumping ground for planes that haven't had a refurb in 20 years or so.
Well, kind of. AA is flying an Airbus A321-200 ETOPS with extra tankage as a replacement or all ConUS-Hawaii 757-223 flights later this year.Of course, they're configured in the cabin like a 321S (Main Cabin Extra, no sleeper seats).

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...awaii-lax.html
Old Aug 19, 2015, 12:27 pm

757-200 to Lihue

I have looked at the seating chart for this flight in first class. But it shows a totally different seat arrangement on AA vs. looking at Seat Guru. It looks like seat 1 A&C are way to the front. Right now we're in 2 A&C. Just wondering if we should stay or move up???
Old Aug 19, 2015, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Sounds like you're looking at the V1 US Airways bird.

Does F have 14 seats on your actual seat map or???

If so, yes, 1AC is a row ahead slightly by itself.

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/US_..._757-200_C.php
Old Aug 19, 2015, 12:39 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
These are the times when it helps to mention the specific flight and origin and destination. If it's a US aircraft, or an AA aircraft, makes a difference - and this can be moved to the proper pre-consolidation forum for perhaps more expert input.

/Moderator
Old Aug 19, 2015, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Wonder if this is US or AA?

Last edited by IADCAflyer; Aug 19, 2015 at 1:47 pm
Old Aug 19, 2015, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
PHX-LIH or LAX-LIH?
Old Aug 19, 2015, 2:50 pm

Yes, it appears to have 14 seats. And the flight is from PHX to LIH. Just wondering, which seats might be better (if there are such seats). Thanks very much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.