Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LUS: The ugly truth about LUS ("West" 757) First Class service to Hawaii

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LUS: The ugly truth about LUS ("West" 757) First Class service to Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2009, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
even worse and they feed you nothing in the six hours you're sitting there
That pretty much captures it for US. I still think of when i flew lgw-bru 3 years ago on a BAE 146 no less and was served two drink services and a sandwich and chocolate. Flight time? 48 minutes.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Centurion
Oh and getting the laid on board.
I hope you meant "getting a lei on board."
Old Jul 17, 2009, 5:41 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Originally Posted by iahphx
Is this a CP perk or B.O.B.? I must have missed the "We Listened! You told us you get horny on long flights, so now we're introducing our Boff On Board program...blah blah...limited number of lays...blah blah blah...yours to keep....blah blah blah...cash and credit accepted...blah blah blah...several tasty choices..."

Ok. I don't know if that was funny or even appropriate; I'm having a tough time getting going this morning and my judgment may not be too great.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 6:54 am

Programs: US Plat, SPG Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8320/4.5.0.81 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Originally Posted by dingo
Originally Posted by iahphx
Is this a CP perk or B.O.B.? I must have missed the "We Listened! You told us you get horny on long flights, so now we're introducing our Boff On Board program...blah blah...limited number of lays...blah blah blah...yours to keep....blah blah blah...cash and credit accepted...blah blah blah...several tasty choices..."

Ok. I don't know if that was funny or even appropriate; I'm having a tough time getting going this morning and my judgment may not be too great.
I obviously can't speak for everyone but I enjoyed it.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 7:02 am

Programs: CO Platinum, DL Gold, Former US CP Since They Invented It
Originally Posted by enviroian
That pretty much captures it for US. I still think of when i flew lgw-bru 3 years ago on a BAE 146 no less and was served two drink services and a sandwich and chocolate. Flight time? 48 minutes.
I can think of a time a few months ago, March 2009 to be exact...and I flew BA from MAN-LGW...a FULL B734....176 miles....

And a FULL, hot breakfast was served....to EVERYONE on the airplane.

And for the record, I wouldn't fly US Airways from PVD-PHL, let alone CLT-HNL, if I could avoid flying them. I have, as a house guest this weekend here in Napa, a US f/a...and we were discussing it last night at dinner...and she said, "I hardly think you are alone."
Old Jul 17, 2009, 7:44 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by dingo

Thats why those of use who are originally from California liked PSA so much...
Old Jul 31, 2009, 10:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL UA AS
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World

If you have the ability to go in first using miles, I would definitely do it. Personally, I would not fly US in Y to Hawaii. If I had to go in Y, it would be on Hawaiian.
We flew to HNL via PHX and upgraded to first class 24 hours before flight time using miles. We had already received an email that our first leg to PHX had been upgraded.

Our first class experience on US had been short hops such as CLT or PHL to TPA, with bigger seats and premium snacks the only benefit. We were pleasantly surprised with the first flight from EWR-PHX on a 320. The seats were comfortable and the lunches were good.

The flight from PHX to HNL was a let down compared with the first flight. We were in row 4, and there was hardly any recline available with the seats. The headphones did not work, so we didn't watch the movie or listen to music. Other passengers had no problem with the audio system. Because we were in row 4, the chicken entrees were gone, so we had to take swordfish. It was a bit overcooked but nicely presented. The first class flight attendant provided excellent service. She was assisted at times by an attendant who covered the front rows of coach. It was obvious that they both enjoyed their jobs.

We flew coach back from OGG to PHX to EWR. The 757 on the return trip appeared to be slightly newer, but it was hard to tell. My wife observed an ashtray in the lavatory on the flight over, which was a clue about the 757's age. Our only real problem flying home was serious delays in Newark, which caused our flight to divert to BDL for refueling. The US gate personnel in PHX and the flight crew did a commendable job of informing passengers about the problems. Some complained that we should have been allowed to remain in PHX longer, but I believe that flying into EWR during storms is a gamble, and it's hard to predict 4 - 5 hours ahead what conditions will be when you actually arrive there.

We did observe a number of other carriers using 757's for flights from Hawaii to the West Coast. It's a shame that Airbus can't redesign the A321 to be capable of serving longer flights such as Hawaii.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 11:03 am

Programs: US Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by rvolkcpa
My wife observed an ashtray in the lavatory on the flight over, which was a clue about the 757's age.
Thanks for the report. Just as an FYI though, they are still putting ashtrays in all aircraft lavatories AFAIK. The theory behind this being that if someone does light up, there is a safe place to put it out rather than potentially causing a fire using the trash bin, etc.
Old Aug 2, 2009, 12:24 am
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Thumbs up What A Terrible Post!

You obviously are big baby & like nothing better than complain about the Greatest Airline In The World*!

*And the GREATEST First Class domestic product in North America too boot!

I would write further but I just got to get back to the old crack pipe (-;
Old Aug 2, 2009, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K M, AA 2 MM PREM, AVIS First, HYATT Explorist, Marriott Lifetime Platinum., Hilton Gold.
Any future plans?

Does US has any future plans of upgrading/updating these 20 year old jets?

Also, does anyone know what they will be flying to GIG come December?

Thanks
Old Aug 2, 2009, 2:28 pm

Location: Northern Ireland (in spirit), but much more likely GB or Europe.
Programs: EI Aer Club, IB Plus, BA EC, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by ACC2008
Does US has any future plans of upgrading/updating these 20 year old jets?

Also, does anyone know what they will be flying to GIG come December?

Thanks
At present the GIG route is scheduled to get the 767-200
Old Aug 2, 2009, 4:01 pm

Programs: AA AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Member
A recent experience

Just flew out to Maui and back from Honolulu on US in F. Was disappointing on the way out. The F service from PHX to OGG felt prefunctory, and almost as if we were somehow an inconvenience to the one FA assigned to First. Meal was a choice between chicken and swordfish, and I don't recall the snack basket making an appearance at all. Did receive a drink post-departure, but no real efforts by the FA to check on us for drinks.

Sat in 2C (wife in 2A) and the legroom was worse than coach. And like everyone else stated, once someone leaned back in front of you, good luck using your tray table. F was full and 12 of the 14 in the cabin were on their honeymoon. And really crappy job on baggage claim - 50 minutes for bags to reach the belt on a light afternoon at OGG.

On the way back from HNL, we changed to 1A and 1C which was better from the seat lean back issue. Service was 1,000 % better as we had an FA that did a great job - made sure we had what we wanted and waited until we woke up to serve breakfast.

I'm looking forward to the 767s flying from CLT to HNL - then F might be worth it.
Old May 20, 2010, 2:56 am

Programs: UA Gold; US TIB; Hyatt Diamond
I recently flew US407 connecting to US22. I had considered upgrading with miles one way (I'm stopping over in PHX on the way back, so I didn't care so much about F on the return), but after reading this thread decided against it. Something very unexpected happened at EWR upon check-in. The kiosk asked me if I'd like to upgrade to First (PHX-HNL only, EWR-PHX was full), and stated the total due would be $0.00. I have no status with US, nor am I *G, but I do hold CO *S. There was one seat left (2A), and I got it...for nothing. Not sure if Y was overbooked, but even if it was, I was suprised to get the offer. Does US factor in parner *S status, or did I just get lucky?

Anyways...I'm now VERY glad I didn't spend my miles. Earlier posters complaining about legroom were not exagerating. With the lady in 1A fully reclined, I couldn't even take my tray out! The meal was tasty (blackened salmon with pineapple rice & yams), and (unlike what other posters have said) service was very attentive (multiple passes of the snack basket, continuous beverage refills, etc), but I'm a tall guy and would definately prefer the legroom of an exit row over F in this configuration.

Next time I'll say thanks but no thanks to the upgrade - even if complimentary.
Old May 22, 2010, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by kopflyer
I recently flew US407 connecting to US22. I had considered upgrading with miles one way (I'm stopping over in PHX on the way back, so I didn't care so much about F on the return), but after reading this thread decided against it. Something very unexpected happened at EWR upon check-in. The kiosk asked me if I'd like to upgrade to First (PHX-HNL only, EWR-PHX was full), and stated the total due would be $0.00. I have no status with US, nor am I *G, but I do hold CO *S. There was one seat left (2A), and I got it...for nothing. Not sure if Y was overbooked, but even if it was, I was suprised to get the offer. Does US factor in parner *S status, or did I just get lucky?
I'm Platinum with US and had a similar experience while checking in last night at HNL. I wonder if it's some kind of new policy to provide complimentary upgrades if seats are available?

See my post on this subject here.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 8:38 am

Programs: United 1K, American EXP & 3 Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist & Marriott Ambassador Elite
Any improvements on US Airways' service to Hawaii?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.