Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LUS: The ugly truth about LUS ("West" 757) First Class service to Hawaii

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LUS: The ugly truth about LUS ("West" 757) First Class service to Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2007, 11:16 pm

Programs: US Dividend Miles/NW World Perks
The HP 757's are dirty and in disrepair; how US can subject paying passengers to these planes for over 5/6 hours is beyond me. I would never pay or use an award for one of their Hawaii flights. Refurbish those planes and try again, better yet how about using a couple 767's, there must be a few out there that could be leased.
Old Nov 27, 2007, 11:30 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy
Original Poster

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
. . . F in US to HNL really could use a bit better service and the seats are nothing to write home about, but I was at least far more comfortable than I'd have been in Y.
That really is the only reason, other than miles/status, to fly F on US to Hawaii -- the F seats are better than Y.

Living in PHX, I'm lucky, as I have Hawaiian as a non-stop option, which is what I've gone back to (Hawaiian partnerned with HP prior to the merger and US starting Hawaii service). As with US for trans-Atlantic flights for me, the miles just aren't worth it.
Old Nov 27, 2007, 11:50 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
That really is the only reason, other than miles/status, to fly F on US to Hawaii -- the F seats are better than Y.

Living in PHX, I'm lucky, as I have Hawaiian as a non-stop option, which is what I've gone back to (Hawaiian partnerned with HP prior to the merger and US starting Hawaii service). As with US for trans-Atlantic flights for me, the miles just aren't worth it.
Tell me about it - I paid the $100 to change a PHX-LGW Envoy award coming up at end of December to United F via SFO. I see NZ and AC are available for the dates I want in C now, but I don't want to go through another $100 and the phone hassle of rebooking.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 9:09 am

Programs: Bonvoy (Titanium) . Delta (Platinum)
Originally Posted by micfly
The HP 757's are dirty and in disrepair; how US can subject paying passengers to these planes for over 5/6 hours is beyond me. I would never pay or use an award for one of their Hawaii flights.
Or how about over 7 hours? And how about IDBing 30 passengers? I was lucky enough to fly US to HNL last year. Lucky not because it was US, but lucky simply because I got there. I watched the nightmare start of vacations as many were IDBed. The winter headwinds last year created weight restriction problems for all carriers, although it seemed US had the biggest problems with the 757s. I made my conecting flight to KOA in time, but barely. My luggage didn't make the connection to HA.

I will be on ATA for my next trip.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 2:46 pm

Thumbs down 757 ETOPS FC Mainland to Hawaii

I recently flew PHX-KOA and KOA-PHX in First on USAir's embarrassing bad old 757s. As has been mentioned before, the First Class seats and service are barely above Coach. The pitch may be a few more inches than coach but it sure doesn't feel like it. The seats are hard and the recline is limited. The base of the seat cushion seems to hit the back of your leg just in the right place to make it extremely uncomfortable to try and sleep. Service was almost non-existent on the daytime PHX to KOA flight after takeoff. In fact, I rang my call button about every half hour just to get her off her fat, lazy a*s. On the return, the service was fine prior to take off and she pretty much left everyone alone overnight. At least she prowled the aisle every hour or so to see if anyone needed anything.

On a positive note, both flights took off on time and landed early.

It is mighty convenient to be able to fly non-stop to the Big island from PHX, but I will seriously consider using United or AA through California next year.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Since the ugliness (primarily attributable to the aircraft used) is largely unchanged since the launch of this service, I'll move this into the existing thread on this topic, which I happened to start some three-and-a-half years ago.

It's really a shame that it's the same old story.

I, too, just recently tried PHX-Hawaii F service (HNL in my case), as I'd heard that some planes had recently received new F seats.

I'm not sure if this is what people were referring to, but on the outbound, we had an aircraft with seats that had new cushions. The seats themselves, with the positively pathetic pitch, and high center causing your legs to go to sleep, are exactly the same.

On the return, we had the same old horrendous west 757 seats with the old cushions. And, once again, in the last row they jammed straight up against the wall with zero recline.

I agree that it would be so nice to have a decent non-stop service from PHX to Hawaii on US. I thought I'd give it a shot, but it's back to Hawaiian for me.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
I, too, just recently tried PHX-Hawaii F service (HNL in my case), as I'd heard that some planes had recently received new F seats.

I'm not sure if this is what people were referring to, but on the outbound, we had an aircraft with seats that had new cushions. The seats themselves, with the positively pathetic pitch, and high center causing your legs to go to sleep, are exactly the same.
On both the outbound and return, the cushions were new but it was the same old seats and configuration.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not that it excuses the poor on-board conditions, but I believe US has said that there is not currently a comparable aircraft being made that it can replace these ETOPS 757s with.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 10:20 am

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, SPG PLT, Marriott PLT, Shangri-La Diamond
Originally Posted by iahphx
Not that it excuses the poor on-board conditions, but I believe US has said that there is not currently a comparable aircraft being made that it can replace these ETOPS 757s with.
What about east ETOPS 752s/762s flying with East crews (assuming its ok with the Unions) once the 332s come online or reseating these 752s with Envoy seats?
Old Jul 16, 2009, 2:32 pm

Programs: None
Until the pilot's seniority and combined contract are settled, East planes/crews can only fly one Hawaiian flight that originates west of the Mississippi. That definitely limits using East ETOPS 757's to replace West ones till after full integration.

Jim
Old Jul 16, 2009, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL UA AS
Originally Posted by jes999
On both the outbound and return, the cushions were new but it was the same old seats and configuration.
We are going to Hawaii via PHX very soon. We are considering trying to get upgrades using miles if available.

Can anyone who has flown in first class tell me if they would have been better off in coach? I assume there would be some benefits to being in first.

Thanks for any comments.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rvolkcpa
Can anyone who has flown in first class tell me if they would have been better off in coach? I assume there would be some benefits to being in first.
Oh, no question first is still better than coach. The seat pitch on the 757s in coach is even worse and they feed you nothing in the six hours you're sitting there.

If you have the ability to go in first using miles, I would definitely do it. Personally, I would not fly US in Y to Hawaii. If I had to go in Y, it would be on Hawaiian.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 4:06 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA Plat, Starwood Gold, AX Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred, Star Alliance Gold
I've flown the route a few times. Picture 1970's business class with WN service and you won't be disappointed. The crews are generally very friendly, though.

I don't think its too many miles to upgrade, so that's worth it. There is a meal and it is of acceptable quality. If nothing else, it makes the flight go faster.

The cabin does need updating, though. I think these are 1984 planes and they show! The seats throughout need a serious update.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
It's really too bad that ATA went out of business. I flew them twice nonstop from PHX to HNL on 752's. While service was minimal, the crews were very friendly and the planes were extraordinarily CLEAN! And the flights were always early!
Old Jul 16, 2009, 8:45 pm

Oh how I dream of the old America West Phx to Hawaii 747 service in First. Hawaii music playing as you board. A first class seat with your name in a silver enclosed case the top to let you know your seat was there just waiting for you. A fantastic looking attendant who gave you what ever you needed and another young female attendant whose only job was to assist the first flight attendant who was servicing your every request. Oh and getting the laid on board.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.