Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Apr 25, 2017, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Ground Staff May Deny Boarding for China Transit Without Visa Issues

This thread is ONLY for discussion of American Airlines' ground staff dealing with Chinese TWOV issues.
For further information, see:

FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China Forum

China Visa / Visas Master Thread (all you need to know)

and / or

China 24, 72, and 144 hour Transit Without Visa ("TWOV") rules master thread

The issue: though Chinese immigration authorities seem disposed to allow transit without visa for passengers going on to flights with connections in non-China, non-origin destinations, e.g. LAX-PVG <permitted TWOV> PVG-NRT-LAX, AA ground staff have denied boarding to passengers for the XXX-China leg.

Even if such a passenger were to secure alternate arrangements or reimbursement, there is still sure to be considerable inconvenience. Until AA informs ground staff such travel complies with China TWOV rules, purchasing such an itinerary currently entails some degree of risk, as evidenced in the following thread.

AA generally uses IATA Timatic to verify boarding eligibility. Link to Timatic Web provided courtesy of United Airlines; this form provides information on entry requirements, not departure policies as might be administered by any airline.

Print Wikipost

144 TWOV China- AA Issues/Questions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2017, 7:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
That's scary.
May be, but you can take it to the bank-- that's what it means.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 7:44 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by JonNYC
May be, but you can take it to the bank-- that's what it means.
That could be their"policy" .... if contained in COC..produce it.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 7:53 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I've noticed a lot of posts here by FTers that don't list AA in their profiles, which has me guessing they've never checked in at an AA counter in a TWOV situation, or dealt with AA personnel and their computer skills. Has anyone other than FlyingJay ever been denied boarding by AA in a similar TWOV situation? Just wondering how common it is for this to happen at AA counters.

Is this the first time we've seen this reported on the AA forum? I can't recall prior threads here on the topic.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 7:54 pm

https://www.aa.com/i18n/Tariffs/AA1.html

See

Refusal to transport

ACROSS INT'L BOUNDARIES - 74
(D)ACROSS INTERNATIONAL BOUNDARIES - WHEN A PASSENGER IS TRAVELING ACROSS ANY INTERNATIONAL BOUNDARY IF:
THE TRAVEL DOCUMENTS OF SUCH PASSENGER ARE NOT IN ORDER;

Last edited by anacapamalibu; Apr 24, 2017 at 8:01 pm
Old Apr 24, 2017, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA LT GLD 1MM
Originally Posted by gengar
Respecting Microwave's post 456, I'll just add one comment: What's particularly egregious and disturbing about OP's situation is that AA forced him to pay more to refare due to (improperly) denying the OP travel. The fact that they now refuse to reimburse even the fare difference, in full and in cash, is not a tenable stance because now there is a situation where AA improperly denied pax travel and AA profited from it. I don't think this specifically is ever a motivation for AA agents, but it's bad optics / looks terrible for AA when they leave open the possibility that check-in agents can wrongly deny pax boarding so that they can force them to pay a higher fare.

Sounds like a bait and switch to me.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From the international tariff:

PASSPORTS AND VISAS - 71

(B)PASSPORTS AND VISAS

EACH PASSENGER DESIRING TRANSPORTATION ACROSS ANY INTERNATIONAL BOUNDARY WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR OBTAINING ALL NECESSARY TRAVEL DOCUMENTS AND FOR COMPLYING WITH ALL GOVERNMENT TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS. THE PASSENGER MUST PRESENT ALL EXIT, ENTRY AND OTHER DOCUMENTS REQUIRED BY THE LAWS, AND, UNLESS APPLICABLE LAWS PROVIDE OTHERWISE, SHALL INDEMNIFY THE CARRIER FOR ANY LOSS, DAMAGE, OR EXPENSE SUFFERED OR INCURRED BY SUCH CARRIER BY REASON OF SUCH PASSENGER'S FAILURE TO DO SO. CARRIER IS NOT LIABLE TO THE PASSENGER FOR LOSS OR EXPENSE DUE TO THE PASSENGER'S FAILURE TO COMPLY WITH THIS PROVISION.CARRIER RESERVES THE RIGHT TO REFUSE CARRIAGE TO ANY PASSENGER WHO HAS NOT COMPLIED WITH APPLICABLE LAWS, REGULATIONS, ORDERS, DEMANDS, OR REQUIREMENTS OR WHOSE DOCUMENTS ARE NOT COMPLETE.NO CARRIER SHALL BE LIABLE FOR ANY AID OR INFORMATION GIVEN BY ANY AGENT OR EMPLOYEE OF SUCH CARRIER TO ANY PASSENGER IN CONNECTION WITH OBTAINING SUCH DOCUMENTS OR COMPLYING WITH SUCH LAWS, WHETHER GIVEN ORALLY OR IN WRITING OR OTHERWISE.IN ADDITION, CARRIER RESERVES THE RIGHT TO HOLD, PHOTOCOPY OR OTHERWISE IMAGE REPRODUCE A TRAVEL DOCUMENT PRESENTED BY ANY PASSENGER AND ACCEPTED BY THE CARRIER AS A CONDITION OF BOARDING.

SUBJECT TO APPLICABLE LAWS AND REGULATIONS, THE PASSENGER AGREES TO PAY THE APPLICABLE FARE WHENEVER CARRIER, ON GOVERNMENT ORDER, IS REQUIRED TO RETURN A PASSENGER TO HIS POINT OF ORIGIN OR ELSEWHERE DUE TO THE PASSENGER'S INADMISSIBILITY INTO OR DEPORTATION FROM A COUNTRY, WHETHER OF TRANSIT OR OF DESTINATION.THE FARE APPLICABLE WILL BE THE FARE THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN APPLICABLE HAD THE ORIGINAL TICKET DESIGNATED THE REVISED DESTINATION ON THE NEW TICKET.ANY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE FARE SO APPLICABLE AND THE FARE PAID BY THE PASSENGER WILL BE COLLECTED FROM OR REFUNDED TO THE PASSENGER AS THE CASE MAY BE. CARRIER MAY APPLY TO THE PAYMENT OF SUCH FARES ANY FUNDS PAID BY THE PASSENGER TO CARRIER FOR UNUSED CARRIAGE, OR ANY FUNDS OF THE PASSENGER IN THE POSSESSION OF CARRIER.THE FARE COLLECTED FOR CARRIAGE TO THE POINT OF REFUSAL OR DEPORTATION WILL NOT BE REFUNDED BY THE CARRIER, UNLESS THE LAW OF SUCH COUNTRY REQUIRES THAT SUCH FARE BE REFUNDED.

PASSENGER TRANSITING WITHOUT VISA (TRWOV) - SERVICE CHARGE A PASSENGER TRANSITING, WITHOUT A VISA, A POINT(S) WITHIN A COUNTRY REQUIRING A VISA FOR LAWFUL ENTRY, WILL BE ASSESSED A SERVICE CHARGE OF USD 50.00/CAD 56.00 WHEN AA IS THE CARRIER PROVIDING SUCH PASSENGER WITH TRANSPORTATION TO SUCH POINT(S).THE TRANSIT WITHOUT VISA SERVICE CHARGE WILL ONLY APPLY TO INTERLINE PASSENGERS. THE FEE IS WAIVED FOR ONLINE PASSENGERS.
NOTE:THIS SERVICE CHARGE WILL BE ASSESSED EITHER WHEN AA ISSUES/REISSUES THE PASSENGER'S TICKET OR WHEN PASSENGER CHECK-INS FOR FLIGHT.

EXCEPTION:THE TRANSIT WITHOUT VISA (TRWOV) FEE OF USD 50.00/CAD 56.00 ONE WAY IS WAIVED FOR TRAVEL BETWEEN JAPAN AND BRAZIL/PERU.
PASSENGERS APPLYING FOR VISA APPLICATIONS - SERVICE CHARGE AA WILL ASSESS A USD 25.00/CAD 28.00 FEE FOR THE APPLICATION PROCESS OF OBTAINING AN ELECTRONIC TRAVEL AUTHORIZATION (ELECTRONIC VISA) FOR CUSTOMERS
Note that AA requires that passengers indemnify AA if the passenger causes AA to pay penalties for transporting a non-admissible passenger.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by FWAAA
From the international tariff:

Note that AA requires that passengers indemnify AA if the passenger causes AA to pay penalties for transporting a non-admissible passenger.
That's reasonable.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 8:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tom911
I've noticed a lot of posts here by FTers that don't list AA in their profiles, which has me guessing they've never checked in at an AA counter in a TWOV situation, or dealt with AA personnel and their computer skills. Has anyone other than FlyingJay ever been denied boarding by AA in a similar TWOV situation? Just wondering how common it is for this to happen at AA counters.

Is this the first time we've seen this reported on the AA forum? I can't recall prior threads here on the topic.
Well this thread contained one of the previously referenced cases:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l#post27924522

and this post in particular refers to some difficulties:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27924522-post9.html

And, in researching all this, I've found that it definitely happens from time to time, no doubt about it.

As I posted above, a lot of new folks at LAX (and elsewhere) who do -not- have the years of experience that *might* help them come up with a solution the way maybe one of the old school ticket agents might be able to.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 8:16 pm

Looks like AA breached the COC by refusing to transport OP, when his documents were "in order".
Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
"We use this data base to make decisions about whether or not to accept customers for travel based on the documentation in their possession at the time of departure."

There was no documentation in their possession and no need for documentation.

This is a catchall. Anyone traveling internationally could be wrongfully denied boarding, with no recourse, for "documentation" or lack of. Best to find an airline that has better "trained" personnel.

They need to change their website from
"If you don’t have the required documentation and identification,you will not be allowed to board the plane and would be responsible for any resulting costs."
to
If you do or don't or we think you might not have the required documentation and identification,you will not be allowed to board the plane and would be responsible for any resulting costs.
Change the word "think" to "believe." Part of the problem is that agents don't think. Moreover, often they base decisions about what they believe are visa requirements, without even attempting to verify whether their beliefs are correct.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Change the word "think" to "believe." Part of the problem is that agents don't think. Moreover, often they base decisions about what they believe are visa requirements, without even attempting to verify whether their beliefs are correct.
Reckon is a good substitute.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 10:46 pm

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by tom911

Yes, it happened to me earlier this year, discussed in on the first few pages of this thread.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Yes it happened to me. Finally one agent gave me a code to reference think it was TIRULES 35 that listed the specific rules and could be entered by agent to let you travel. However even armed with that agents still gave grief. This was at LAX Flagship checkin to boot.

Got an actual visa Once I learned that you could get a 10 yr ME visa for $160 without ever having a previous visa.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

Sill no secondary response from AA. They initially responded 20 minutes after I messaged social media department on Saturday inquiring about the long delay. I guess I need to do that again?

I responded to the initial email confirming I had proper international documents and that the vouchers were not a satisfactory resolution. I will keep everyone posted.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 2:03 am

Originally Posted by ORD2NRT
The name in and of itself differentiates between a destination country and a transit country.
Who gets to say what is your "destination"?

I can buy a ticket A-B-C-A ticket (based on a fare which is a r/t from A to C) and easily spend more hours on the ground in B than I would in C.

Anyone care to say which is my destination and where am I only in transit on such a trip?

In any case, the meaning of those terms as they are used regarding an e-ticket isn't a whole lot of use to the immigration officers at B and C. You might not even be entering the country at C!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.