Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Apr 25, 2017, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Ground Staff May Deny Boarding for China Transit Without Visa Issues

This thread is ONLY for discussion of American Airlines' ground staff dealing with Chinese TWOV issues.
For further information, see:

FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China Forum

China Visa / Visas Master Thread (all you need to know)

and / or

China 24, 72, and 144 hour Transit Without Visa ("TWOV") rules master thread

The issue: though Chinese immigration authorities seem disposed to allow transit without visa for passengers going on to flights with connections in non-China, non-origin destinations, e.g. LAX-PVG <permitted TWOV> PVG-NRT-LAX, AA ground staff have denied boarding to passengers for the XXX-China leg.

Even if such a passenger were to secure alternate arrangements or reimbursement, there is still sure to be considerable inconvenience. Until AA informs ground staff such travel complies with China TWOV rules, purchasing such an itinerary currently entails some degree of risk, as evidenced in the following thread.

AA generally uses IATA Timatic to verify boarding eligibility. Link to Timatic Web provided courtesy of United Airlines; this form provides information on entry requirements, not departure policies as might be administered by any airline.

Print Wikipost

144 TWOV China- AA Issues/Questions

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2017, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by stephem
Congrats Jason, a solid outcome although never a true remediation for the sort of thing you went through!
In retrospect, probably should have hired Dr. Dao's lawyer, for best results, after suffering the Dr. Dao experience...

Last edited by nk15; May 7, 2017 at 7:38 pm
Old May 7, 2017, 7:43 pm

Programs: AA PP 1.8MM, PC Spire, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by FlyingJay
Final Resolution Update:

AA accepted responsibility and confirmed that I was incorrectly denied boarding based on my itinerary and TWOV guidelines.

I will be refunded the fare difference plus all incidental expenses related to the change of itinerary as well as all MCE fees we paid for the trip.

Additionally, I was offered and accepted 400% of the one way fare for each member of my family. I was able to choose between a combination of vouchers and cash with vouchers being a higher value.

I am thankful and relieved that AA made it right in the end. I will say that it took a plea to the Social Media department (specifically twitter) to get someone to respond to my complaint. All responses I received from the online submission form were completely boiler plate sorry you had a problem. It wasn't until the twitter team read my complaint and forwarded it to a specialty department that my complaint got to the right person.

I appreciate the support from most of you and particularly to those who reached out privately.

Jason
Congratulations Jason. I feel a little better about AA now. Thanks for sharing everything!

I hope AA retrains its staff on the proper process.
Old May 7, 2017, 7:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by nutwpinut
Congratulations Jason. I feel a little better about AA now. Thanks for sharing everything!

I hope AA retrains its staff on the proper process.
My takeaway is: always escalate to the Twitter team (but we already knew this )
Old May 7, 2017, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by rjw242
So the takeaway for the three legacies is that you have to embarrass them in public in order to pay attention, you have to take it to the media...Then they magically can tell wrong from right...
Old May 7, 2017, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by nk15
So the takeaway for the three legacies is that you have to embarrass them in public in order to pay attention, you have to take it to the media...Then they magically can tell wrong from right...
Well, kinda. But whenever I've DMed AA's Twitter team they've been super responsive, so it's not entirely due to public shaming
Old May 7, 2017, 8:20 pm

Programs: AA PP 1.8MM, PC Spire, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by nk15
Well, kinda. But whenever I've DMed AA's Twitter team they've been super responsive, so it's not entirely due to public shaming
I believe what you need is for someone knowledgeable/with power to actually read the message and figure out the problem.

Public shaming is one way to make sure someone pays attention. It sounds like the AA twitter team is made up of pro active smart people that can also do the job without the necessity of public shaming.

The email forms are probably read by low level people following script. If your problem is easy to understand no problem they can help you, otherwise it needs to get escalated somehow beyond the low level people reading the form emails, but I don't know how one does that except for going through the AA twitter team.
Old May 7, 2017, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by nutwpinut
Public shaming is one way to make sure someone pays attention. It sounds like the AA twitter team is made up of pro active smart people that can also do the job without the necessity of public shaming.
That, and they're likely overstaffed relative to the number of bona fide customer service requests they receive through that channel. Here's hoping AA management doesn't figure it out and "rationalize" them out of existence.
Old May 8, 2017, 7:26 am
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Coinicidence?
Being yelled at by Congress and told your airline is a "bus with propellors"... what better timing to get a settlement.
Old May 8, 2017, 8:06 am

Congratulations.

Seems AA finally came to their senses.. let's hope they (and all other carriers) will invest some $$$ into their staff education so this won't ever happen again to anyone.
Old May 8, 2017, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's been a while, but I also find that escalating to the DOT has in the past been effective at getting a "real" person to respond.

Still not on Twitter, though I guess I understand the reasons.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 9:51 am

Same thing happened at DFW

Originally Posted by sukn
I would have gotten on the phone with AA and booked a PVG-HKG award flight just to get on your flight and then cancel it once you clear customs/immigration at PVG.
My son had a RT AA ticket to PVG for 8 days with a RT ticket to HK issued by AA on Cathay in the middle of the week, thereby qualifying both halves of his stay under 144-hour TWOV. AA agents at DFW denied him boarding. Would not accept second ticket as "transit" (although a cruise or train out of country would have been a second ticket, so we couldn't figure that out).

The "supervisor" refused to read anything on our phone. Said it had to be a "printout" from the Chinese government. We told her it was the Chinese government website. Her reply "we don't read google."

AA says they will refund - but we are looking for compensation for lost time and business (and FUTURE business).

Any legal eagles available to advise?
Old Aug 5, 2017, 9:56 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by hoopsgroup

AA says they will refund - but we are looking for compensation for lost time and business (and FUTURE business).
I can almost guarantee there will be no compensation for lost business and especially not for lost speculative future business.

"I lost a million dollar deal because the flight was late. You owe me a million dollars." That won't work.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 10:08 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
My son had a RT AA ticket to PVG for 8 days with a RT ticket to HK issued by AA on Cathay in the middle of the week, thereby qualifying both halves of his stay under 144-hour TWOV. AA agents at DFW denied him boarding. Would not accept second ticket as "transit" (although a cruise or train out of country would have been a second ticket, so we couldn't figure that out).

The "supervisor" refused to read anything on our phone. Said it had to be a "printout" from the Chinese government. We told her it was the Chinese government website. Her reply "we don't read google."

Under no circumstances shall American be liable for any special, incidental or consequential damages arising from the foregoing. Liability limits for delay on international itineraries is governed by the Montreal Convention.
AA Conditions of Carraige, a contract of adhesion that applies when one buys tickets. It's pretty much the same with other airlines.

I'd definitely complain to AA, by snail mail to the executive offices. This affects business people as well as leisure travelers. The supervisor should have used TIMATIC, which is what the AA agents normally use for these decisions. Inputting the data should have revealed China TWOV conditions.

You can see what TIMATIC is and what they'd have seen using the UA public use page here.

Future business is entirely speculative and not germane.

This is not intended to be competent legal advice. For such, consult an attorney.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 3:33 pm

Programs: AA EP
Send something into CR without all of the hyper BS and have it looks into if it should ah e been allowed or not. They will probably chuck some miles at you.

But the bigger issue is how are u getting him to China.

Old Aug 5, 2017, 3:53 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
As AA realizes they denied you improperly, you should be able to fully refund the fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.