Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA 757 "75L" with R/C - B/E Diamond Business seat (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 19, 2016, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Boeing 757-200 CIP with Rockwell Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel J seat

The first AA Boeing 757-200 with 16 Rockwell Collins (B/E Aerospace) Diamond Parallel seat in business class entered service on September 1, 2016. These replaced the "NGBC" seats used in the "75L" transatlantic 757, and the B/E Aerospace / Rockwell Collins Diamond seat is the same used in the A321T three class transcon in business class.

The Diamond shell seat in the horizontally flat position is not quite long enough for tall people. Those over six feet /183 cm will find they need to sleep in a drawn up legs. The window side seat foot well is narrower than the aisle seat foot well, and the window side will not accommodate two large (13 or European 46) size feet. Window seat passengers will have to step over the aisle seat passenger if that person is sleeping reclined flat.

See the American Fleet Site (not AA affiliated) here for state of fleet conversion.

The new configuration is 16 Business, 160 combined (108) Main Cabin and (52) Main Cabin Extra seats. There are 24 remaining (all Legacy American Airlines) 757-200s converted to the “75L” “international” version.

(There are 10 Legacy US Airways “East” 757-200s converted to 12F/176Y (including MCE) Hawaii service aircraft, based in PHX.) All other AA 757-200s have been withdrawn from AA service.

There is no in seat AVOD or WiFi served IFE installed on these planes (tablets are distributed to Business passengers along with B&O noise-reducing headsets on International flights).

In flight Panasonic satellite-based WiFi is offered for a fee.

The seat in Y have been reupholstered with "pleather", a plastic-based simulated leather.

J has two 5 1.1 amp VDC USB ports and 110 VAC universal power ports at each seat. MCE has power.

See post #1 or #123 for photographs (courtesy of CMK10 and Australian Business Traveller)

Historical:

Link to CONFIRMED: American’s First Boeing 757 International Lie Flat Business Seat Being Installed Now, by Gary Leff on August 19, 2016. Photos.

See here for Interior Photos

Print Wikipost

AA 757 "75L" with R/C - B/E Diamond Business seat (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2016, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by Djokison
The 75Ls are 16/160, but yes, this one has the same configuration. So it's easily interchangeable with any other 75L (on the LAA side.)
Thanks for the confirmation, when (what year) did American remove a row of Economy seats in the B75L?
Old Sep 7, 2016, 9:53 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
No AVOD even for Business?! That's ridiculous the seats before them even had built in AVOD.
+1
I could see this becoming a problem on westbound flights from Europe that leave in the morning.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by Embraer195
Thanks for the confirmation, when (what year) did American remove a row of Economy seats in the B75L?
2012, they removed a row to make room for MCE.

Edited to add: This is the case for all 757s, even the domestic ones. All LAA 757s have 160 Y seats.

Originally Posted by Seby12
+1
I could see this becoming a problem on westbound flights from Europe that leave in the morning.
It's not like they won't have entertainment, it's just that it'll be through tablets. Unfortunately that does mean that you won't have entertainment for the entirety of the flight, on account of the handing out/picking up of the tablets.

Last edited by Djokison; Sep 7, 2016 at 11:21 am Reason: Extra info
Old Sep 7, 2016, 10:31 am

Programs: AAdvantage
It's not like they won't have entertainment, it's just that it'll be through tablets. Unfortunately that does mean that you won't have entertainment for the entirety of the flight, on account of the handing out/picking up of the tablets.
Which is somewhat of a downgrade on the 75L considering that it currently offers PTVs.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by ThreeJulietTango
Which is somewhat of a downgrade on the 75L considering that it currently offers PTVs.
Oh, I agree. I think it's absolutely ridiculous that they didn't install PTVs on this plane (at the very least, in J). I just don't see how this is going to be "a problem, especially on westbound flights."

At least the quality of the screen improves with use of the tablets. Unfortunately, at this point, it's one step forward, 2 steps back.

Last edited by Djokison; Sep 7, 2016 at 10:55 am
Old Sep 7, 2016, 10:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
It really is a downgrade to go from PTV to tablets on the 757's. I really do not get it. it seems that, TATL with AA, it's either very good entertainment (77W/772CIP) or very bad (757/767 - nothing in Y, tablets in J, 777 OLD). Nothing in the middle.

VS UA or DL, there's entertainment in the back of every seat TATL. It's a stain on AA. And that they did not upgrade these 75L seats with PTV's just shows how little they really do prioritize this.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by econometrics
It really is a downgrade to go from PTV to tablets on the 757's. I really do not get it. it seems that, TATL with AA, it's either very good entertainment (77W/772CIP) or very bad (757/767 - nothing in Y, tablets in J, 777 OLD). Nothing in the middle.

VS UA or DL, there's entertainment in the back of every seat TATL. It's a stain on AA. And that they did not upgrade these 75L seats with PTV's just shows how little they really do prioritize this.
Agreed, I don't know who in their right mind would choose AA for TATL in coach.

I assume refitting PTVs in all of economy is very expensive. USB power at every seat and a streaming server is probably doable, although the wiring for power might still be an impediment.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 10:56 am

See here for some better pics of the cabin.

It looks pretty decent, if you can ignore those gaping holes in the J seatbacks.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by hirohito888
BYOD is one thing in Y cabin, but I think it's a bit cheap to not include IFE in a business class seat. Only savings is probably installation cost of wiring and configuring the IFE.
That's kind of like saying the only expense of making a car is all the metal parts, the seats and the tires.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 11:02 am

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
May i ask a wee question - is there any news on what i think are the ex US 'eastern' 757s (3 rows of 160 deg j/f seats) that plague europe such as DUB again this winter? Apologies if i have completely missed the thread for this variant!
Old Sep 7, 2016, 11:09 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl

It looks pretty decent, if you can ignore those gaping holes in the J seatbacks.
That's a pretty big "if" AA management is counting on.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 11:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold

Nice, much better pics. And that aisle doesn't look quite as narrow, either.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold

Aisle definitely looks more normal in those pics.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Just saw on Twitter the aircraft is still in the old livery and didn't have wifi installed. I get the wifi as they didn't do it on the 767, but to keep it in the old livery seems strange. I wonder if this is just a test aircraft. 🤔
Old Sep 8, 2016, 9:32 am

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by brc757rr
Just saw on Twitter the aircraft is still in the old livery and didn't have wifi installed. I get the wifi as they didn't do it on the 767, but to keep it in the old livery seems strange. I wonder if this is just a test aircraft. 🤔
What I think is going is simple: the 75's like the 767 have a VERY limited life ahead of them so every dollar they spend on them is a TOTAL WASTE OF MONEY. They want to use these birds for TATL and thus must make them lie flat up front.

But, despite my love for how these birds fly AA management clearly plans on replacing them in the next few years. So How many cycles will they get out of these birds AFTER their configuration? Exactly.

Spending money on reconfig 777 and the seating on the 78s, 350s makes sense. Spending money on the clubs makes sense. Spending money on catering makes sense. Spending money on the 75s and 76s makes NO SENSE.

~TG

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.